King Boxer and 36th Chamber of Shaolin Review

Guest gfanikf

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kungfusamurai

It's too bad they're still doing the PAL to NTSC conversion. What was the reasoning again for Celestial doing them in PAL first? Isn't there a format they could save the films in that isn't PAL or NTSC, but could be easily converted into either broadcast standard?

KFS

Guest oldeschool17
It's too bad they're still doing the PAL to NTSC conversion. What was the reasoning again for Celestial doing them in PAL first? Isn't there a format they could save the films in that isn't PAL or NTSC, but could be easily converted into either broadcast standard?

I dont know too much about PAL and NTSC conversions, but in this case, is there that much noticeable difference in the picture quality? I mean, i guess if you had HDTV it would be even more noticeable? Granted, i noticed some blurriness in the action sequences in the IVL releases, but too me, it wasnt too distracting to where I could not enjoy the overall product.

Guest raider yang

I'm definately impressed with all 4 releases. Video, audio and extra features are all well done.:D

Guest morgoth

Hey Yang- tell me what you thought of the commentary for My Young Auntie. It didnt seem like either knew much abotu the movie or the actors. I found it difficult to listen to.

Guest raider yang
Hey Yang- tell me what you thought of the commentary for My Young Auntie. It didnt seem like either knew much abotu the movie or the actors. I found it difficult to listen to.

Yeah the commentary seemed awkward w/ Klein and Mitchell. IMO it sounded as if it was the first time they ever watched MYA,. Kinda embarrssing if you asked me. They brought up a few good points regarding Liu Chia Liang and his style of directing but after that, it was very sporatic and monotone. Truthfully I couldn't tell the difference between the 2 guys, they both sounded as if they just woke up from a nap. I only made it half way through the film with the commentary on so maybe they turned it up after I turned them off.:lol

Maybe not being one of the most well known films from the Shaw's played a part in not having much in detail to say about MYA.

Guest raider yang

morgoth- did you get all 4 releases and did you see the Kara Hui interview? IMO, she still looks good w/ some age.

Guest sevenhooks
These releases are not all that great.

You're right. They're just as bad as the Celestial releases.

:rolleyes

Guest The Running Man

Sorry, but just having the old English dub track does not automatically make it a fantastic disc.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Are the subs any larger on the DD 36th Chamber disc ? I popped in my IVL disc last nite and forgot how tiny the subs were 8o (even on my big screen!). Thinking about getting the 36th Chamber disc if video quality (and subs) is noticably superior. I've only bought King Boxer so far (didnt have IVL). Already have the OAS IVL Boxset, dont feel the need to double up on that one. Extras (and missing audio) arent interesting enough for me to double up on My Young Auntie either. How bout them nifty $3 off coupons they threw in the new releases! Damn near makes them as nicely priced as the IVL discs.

I just bought and watched King Boxer, never seen the remaster on this one, so it was like watching it for the first time!(it had been years since I've seen it anyway). I always loved the music for King Boxer, when he goes walking off after his master takes that headbutt cheap shot, the camera angle, music and flashbacks in that scene can sum up the reason I love this genre so much, I even like the music better than Man of Iron!

Guest sevenhooks
Sorry, but just having the old English dub track does not automatically make it a fantastic disc.

Actually, yes. It does.

Guest sevenhooks
Celestial DO NOT release ANYTHING, IVL do!

Celestial only provide the materials.

Yes master.

:rolleyes

Guest Chen Zhen
Actually, yes. It does.

cosign 100%.....the english dub, for me at least, is 75% of the reason im interested in any Image/DD SB movie.

Guest killer meteor

Fantastic in terms of entertainment value, but it's a pretty silly mistake to not include the correct language - an old failing of Brian White. It's especially bizzare considering the DVD for 36th Chamber has BOTH dialects

Guest The Running Man
Fantastic in terms of entertainment value, but it's a pretty silly mistake to not include the correct language - an old failing of Brian White.

That's only part of it.

White is cheaply using subpar translations instead of getting translators to redo them despite him having translators at his company.

Guest killer meteor

I remember HKL would often delay a title - for what reasons I don't know. Its annoying that they are using the IVL subs - some of which are really bad

Guest Markgway

Actually, yes. It does.

Actually, no it really doesn't.

It may well be a significant factor in determining your purchase of a title, but that alone does not make it "a fantastic disc". There are other factors involved, like original language options, subtitle translations and, of course, image quality. To suggest these are unimportant because you've got what you wanted is as close-minded as those you would criticize for disparaging (and ignoring) English dubs.

If an IVL release is "flawed" for not containing the English dub (as you've said all these years) then the DD MYA is equally (in fact more so) flawed for not containing the original langauge track.

I'm sure that's what The Running Man was getting at.

Guest oldeschool17

so is it safe to say if you want the original language(for the most part), get the IVL release? If you want the english dub, get the dragon dynasty?

Guest killer meteor

Yep, though it should be noted that the IVL is visually inferior due to it being a primitive standards conversion - blurry frames etc - and the Cantonese track is a 5.1 remix - how bad, I don't know. If it sounds like the IVL Five Shaolin Masters, it may as well be the original soundtrack.

Does the VCD have the Cantonese mono track? If so, it'd be interesting to try syncing that audio to the IVL image

Archived