Comparison of Venoms flics?

Guest oldeschool17

Guest oldeschool17

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys could help me compare a few Venoms flics. Id like to compare Sword Stained with Royal Blood to Ode to Gallantry, Legend of the Fox, House of Traps, and Life Gamble(even though im assuming its more of a fu sheng vehicle than a venoms one). I dunno how most of this board feels about sword stained with royal blood, but i actually liked it, despite the lack of fights and plot. I thought the fight scenes near the end made up for the slow parts in the middle. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kwok Choi

Well it depends on what aspects you want to compare but if the fights are not the main issue then in my opinion,I like Life Gamble better than Sword Stained With Royal Blood and the rest;Sword Stained......for me is better than Legend Of The Fox and House Of Traps;then I would say Sword Stained.....and Ode To Gallantry are about even.

Guest oldeschool17

Id like to compare the amount/quality of fights from Sword Stained with Royal Blood to the other films. Why do you like Life Gamble Better than Sword? Does it have a better plot but less fighting? Why do you like Sword better than Legend of the Fox and House of Traps? Do you feel Sword is even with Ode to Gallantry based on plot or fights or both? Sorry for the questions, i just wanted to get a comparison of the other films for Ive heard alot of negative reviews on them and that most venom fans should only get them to complete their collection. Thanks

Guest Kwok Choi

To do justice to your request will mean to watch all the movies side by side or one after the other then pick out the plus and minuses of each one to get to a satisfactory result.This is hard and time consuming thats why I generalized because all the movies you mention have something unique the others haven't.For example the opening or first fight of House Of Traps is second to none so one could argue that this alone is worth the price of the ticket or dvd but that depends.....

Life Gamble is superior in cast,plot,character development,intrigue etc plus has decent fights though not as intricate as the fights in Sword Stained With Royal Blood. Kuo Chue is brilliant in Sword Stained.....as a noble hero but he is even excellent in a supporting though significant role in Life Gamble.I like the Candy Wen/Kuan Feng conforntation in the restaurant in Sword Stained...and the end fight which are both superior to anything in Life Gamble but Life Gamble is a more solid package overall.

Apart from the "House Of Trap" itself,Chen Tin Chee and Kuo Chue as Black Fox,Ode To Gallantry is better in every other aspect;here you have 2 Kuo Chues for the price of one and the overall plot and fights are better than House Of Traps.

Legend Of The Fox is a bad remake of New Tales Of The Flying Fox but has some good fights thats it.If you have seen New Tales..you'll get what I mean.

Now for me to answer your question properly will be to reassess the above in 5 different ways which could be messy so at the end of the day it is really up to you not anybody else to decide whether you will watch these films then see what you make of them.

Ps I replied to this in haste at work so I could have made some errors because I had some doubts; please feel free to make corrections.

Guest venomchamber

Very well put, only LEGEND OF THE FOX is not a bad remake of NEW TALES OF THE FLYING FOX as Chang's LEGEND came first! What's more they're both based upon the same source material, namely Jin Yung's wu-xia novel. ;)

Guest Kwok Choi

Venomchamber thanks very much for the correction.This is one of the doubts I had but didn't have time to check.Cheers.

Archived