Masked Avengers on hkcinemagic?

Guest oldeschool17

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brigadier Chow

Yeah, someone really messed that one up, they also credit Dick Wei. I noticed many mistakes that they make on that site, but it is still a fun site for info... no site that compiles that much information is perfect.

Guest venomchamber

That's because everyone assumes the venoms stayed together for the duration of their time with Chang Cheh at Shaws.

What's more, another very common error from various sources is Kuo Chui is often listed as starring in TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN for the same reason.

In actuality, their final complete film together was THE BRAVE ARCHER PART 3 aka BLAST OF THE IRON PALM, although many sources incorrectly state it was HOUSE OF TRAPS.

Guest jmungus
That's because everyone assumes the venoms stayed together for the duration of their time with Chang Cheh at Shaws.

"the venoms" couldnt possibly "stay together" cuz there hadnt been any "the venoms" in the first place.

what doesnt exist cant stay together (or part for that matter).

its not like they were runnin around hk being recognized as members of "the venoms" back when they would do these movies ;)

as if they were some casting show pop group; CC was a 1970s chinese lou perlman, had em perform for him (on his casting couch :lol ) and hand picked em, gave em their name "the venoms" and sent em on the ro... lot to rock the house :hat

I explain all the things for hkcinemagic credits orders:

At first time, hkcm listings-credits was by alphabetical order. Now, we put the 10 first people by importance order (main cast) (and the others are "masked")

Chiang Sheng

Chin Siu Ho

Chu Ko

Chui Tai Ping

Hon Lai Fan

Philip Kwok Chung Fung

Lau Fong Sai

Lo Meng

Lu Feng

Ngai Tim Choi

Sek Gong

Sun Chien

Dick Wei

Wong Lik (1)

I'll try to reorder the credits for that movie. If you see another error like that, don't hesit to click on "error report" link (your message will go directly to my mail box) ;)

Guest venomchamber

"the venoms" couldnt possibly "stay together" cuz there hadnt been any "the venoms" in the first place.

what doesnt exist cant stay together (or part for that matter).

False statement.

I'm surprised you don't know about Chang Cheh's troupe of cohorts by now!

They were under exclusive contract to Chang Cheh which is why you didn't see any of them in Liu Chia-Liang or Chu Yuan's films!

Chang Cheh personally recruited this team himself beginning in Taiwan while filming his Shaolin series of films with Fu Sheng, Chi Kuan-Chun and Liang Chia-Jen. They were stuntmen and extras and can be seen in many of the films such as SHAOLIN AVENGERS, NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS, BOXER REBELLION, 7 MAN ARMY and even THE FANTASTIC MAGIC BABY. Chang liked what he saw and they eventually moved up from costars in Fu Sheng's films to their own films beginning with INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN and FIVE VENOMS.

Upon the popularity of these films, they were officially called the SHAOLIN DEADLY POISONS, a title given to them BY SHAWS! It can be seen referring to them in various media such as theatrical trailers (CRIPPLED AVENGERS) and assorted press like SOUTHERN SCREEN MAGAZINE and the 1979 SHAW BROTHERS CANNES FILM FESTIVAL PROGRAM.

They also became Chang Cheh's Godsons and collectively stuck by him for a dozen films between 1978 and 1980 without the "star power" of Ti Lung or Fu Sheng. (Kuo, Chiang and Lu would remain with Chang until 1982.) Lo Mang and Sun Chien were the first to leave the ensemble but would occasionally return to join their cohorts in smaller roles in later films. (Sun Chien returned for HOUSE OF TRAPS and AN ODE TO GALLANTRY, while Lo Mang returned for FIVE ELEMENT NINJA.)

Sun Chien and Lo Mang were replaced by Chu Ko and Lung Tien-Sheng in 1980 after their contract with Chang Cheh expired, and they signed on with the Shaw Brothers Studio where they could appear in films for directors such as Sun Chung (HUMAN LANTERNS).

Chang Tien-Chi and Chao Kuo soon followed after BRAVE ARCHER 3 and would stay with Chang Cheh for the duration of his time at Shaws ending with THE WEIRD MAN, and then even back to Taiwan for 9 DEMONS, etc.

This is why most people assume that Lo Mang and Sun Chien were in all of Chang's films. (similarities)

So jmungus, there was a venoms in the first place, but they weren't called the venoms, they were Chang's cohorts, and there was no casting couch, only the recommendation of Liu Chia-Liang and a sharp eye for talent. ;)

Anyways, why the nitpick? :( Present day fans know them as the venoms and I simply explained why many people still assume the entire cast of their inaugural film stayed together longer than they actually did.

Simply put: loyalty and comradreship. 'nuff said! 8)

Guest venomchamber

Nope. Dick Wei was not in Masked Avengers. His last film for Chang Cheh was in The Kid With The Golden Arm before moving onto Sun Chung's stable in 1979.

Guest oldeschool17

Is renewing contracts not a common thing back then?

On a sidenote, I was watching Disciple of 36 Chambers yesterday and noticed Wong Lik and Sun Chien had cameo roles in the movie. Im not going anywhere with this, other than just an observation. heh

Last sidenote: I was thinking yesterday, how freakin cool would it be to have an all star movie with gordon liu/lau kar leung and the remaining core venoms(lo meng, kuo choi, sun chien, lu feng) set back in the "costume"/shaolin monk setting. Id think my head would explode from the fanboyism.:eek

Guest venomchamber

DISCIPLES OF THE 36th CHAMBER is from 1984, long after Chang Cheh and the Venoms had left Shaws! ;)

FYI: Sun Chien is also in Liu Chia-Liang's THE LADY IS THE BOSS from the same year. :eek

Guest jmungus
So jmungus, there was a venoms in the first place, but they weren't called the venoms, they were Chang's cohorts

Present day fans know them as the venoms and I simply explained why many people still assume the entire cast of their inaugural film stayed together longer than they actually did.

yep, thats all i was saying/getting at. ;)

'they' have the venoms-story slightly confused and thats why they`d come up with that assumption.

rest assured i ve got the angles covered already (thx to guys like yourself; but the 'venoms' back story in particular isnt exactly news for me). i thank u for the effort tho.

guess it boils down to the respective perspective that an individual would have on the boys; but.... as so often, i wasnt being all too serious. theres just a logical flaw in the concept some ppl have on "the venoms" that i`d pick up to errrr.... how do u call it.... "contribute" :evil

few (at kff at least) are in fact assuming, since most know about CC`s 'venoms phase' and the original 5 'venoms', the 6th venom, the baby venoms, how the name came about in the first place, the 'cohorts' as u call em, recurring sb stars used to co-star alongside 'the venoms', the whole shebang.......

"there are only 5 venoms, there can be no 6th...."

:hat

Guest venomchamber
Is renewing contracts not a common thing back then?

Yes, but there was no more CHANG'S FILM COMPANY when their 4-year contracts ended.

What's more, they obviously elected to broaded their horizons by working with other directors like Sun Chung, Liu Chia-Liang and Chu Yuan.

shawstarsunchienky0.jpg

shawstarlomangpl3.jpg

Guest Tosh

Regardless of some mistakes here and there I want to give a big thumbs up to hkcinemagic, it's one the best places online to go for info on these movies.

Guest HKCM

Thanks Tosh

Our team all loves SB and HK cinema, and we try to do the best to show our passion to the world.

Jean-Louis

PS : i didn't receive some Masked Avengers captures alas...:b

Wang Li is also one of the archers in the opening of EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER. Sun Chien plays one of the background soldiers.

Wang Li is also one of the archers in the opening of EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER. Sun Chien plays one of the background soldiers.

Hey V5 - Can you spot us a time at where you saw Sun Chien? I just watched the intro battle (man - that's a sick headbutt!) but couldn't spot our little kicker.

Hey V5 - Can you spot us a time at where you saw Sun Chien? I just watched the intro battle (man - that's a sick headbutt!) but couldn't spot our little kicker.

Just checked and I must be confusing it with DISCIPLES OF THE 36TH CHAMBER. I thought he was one of the background soldiers in the scene where Poon Mei and his soldiers enter the Yang household around the 16 minute mark.

Archived