Life Gamble / 生死門 (1979)

Guest The Amazing Psychoper

What was so confusing about the movie? I had no trouble following it tbh. Fu Sheng didn't really do much, im not entirely sure what the point of casting him was. He was kind of wasted in this movie. I thought the movie was pretty good overall, if it had better fight scenes i would rank as one of their best.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Elvis Mantis

I bought it from Amazon, and was disappointed. I enjoyed the dub, but the movie did not have enough kung fu action--and when it did, it was not the best.

It was interesting to see the plot twists and crazy gimmicks, but I wonder if movies like that were not the fall of Shaw Bros.?

One other note--there was an real ugly woman in that movie, they were acting as if she was hot? Weird......

As i said in another thread, one of the worst venoms and fu sheng movies..dont waste your cash.....

sounds up my alley. I'm the type of guy who loves westerns but finds it hard to pick out one when I've got a headache because of all the gun shots .. same can be carried over to the clangin' swords. SO I guess Life Gamble is a good wuxia to check out when you've got a headache .. story ,ambience never hurt anybody (in fact it makes my head feel better) :nerd:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Dragon, how is the english dub audio? Is it on there? Does it sound good?

Fang Shih-yu
...I'm the type of guy who loves westerns but finds it hard to pick out one when I've got a headache because of all the gun shots .. same can be carried over to the clangin' swords. SO I guess Life Gamble is a good wuxia to check out when you've got a headache...
Life Gamble is similar to a western in many ways! (Lo Meng and Fu Sheng are the equivalent of gunfighters!) There are martial arts used here, as well, so it isn't all about swordplay, but weapons fighting occurs more than "hand-to-hand"! Shirley Yu (the "real ugly woman" Elvis Mantis referred to) did a lot of exploitation pictures for Shaw, including The Call Girls and Dreams of Eroticism. Her makeup in LG looks utterly ridiculous; she looks better in other movies!:kiss:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just ordered the Funimation release of this film. Looking forward to seeing it with remastered english audio. This is a great attitude "balls to the wall" flick. Lo Mang's great in it. His character in this film reminds me of his role in Human Lanterns. Lots a character there, as usual, for Lo Mang anyway.

Life Gamble is similar to a western in many ways! (Lo Meng and Fu Sheng are the equivalent of gunfighters!) There are martial arts used here, as well, so it isn't all about swordplay, but weapons fighting occurs more than "hand-to-hand"!

:yociexp108::yociexp108::yociexp108::yociexp108:

Alexandra

I just watched Life Gamble for the first time last night. It was interesting. Not a TON of action like I expected. It was more of a crime flick. It was a little over the top how everyone was trying to betray everyone else. It sorta got a bit confusing and convoluted in the end.

Any thoughts?

I think the movie is what it is - a good movie for an hour & a 1/2 with a bunch of everyone's favorite actors. Not mind blowing, but very good.

even with Kung Fu movies though, I like the stories over the Kung Fu action.

Sometimes I fast forward through long fights just to get on with the story, even though I love the art of Chinese fighting.

I liked Life Gamble. It kept me guessing as to who would die or live until the end. Yes there wasn't much action but the plot was developed and it was different. I like a good who will be left standing at the end movie!

Watched this the other night having read mixed reviews, unfortunately I came off watching a couple great Samurai movies so the direction came off a bit cornballish(if that's even a word), definitely a little more lowbrow entertainment but worth it for the assembled cast, the action though, with said cast, was not up to snuff imo, some great flips from Kuo Chui, to much gimmicky weaponry, the end could of made up for it as I was looking forward to a good end fight with Chui and Lee Yi Min, sadly it didn't happen and what a missed opportunity with the acrobatic talent these guys have, instead it went to Flag of Iron(one of my lesser Venom films) with barely any physical contact between the two.

I'll give this one another watch in a couple months, see if I enjoy it more knowing what I get:bigsmile:

Archived