Life Gamble / 生死門 (1979)

Guest The Amazing Psychoper

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The release date I've always seen for Five Venoms is 1978.

The Venoms look quite young in Life Gamble and Fu Sheng has the same look he did in Brave Archer. By that I mean he hasn't put on the extra weight that we see in Brave Archer 3 and Heroes Shed No Tears.

Even though the release date is 1979 for Life Gamble I think maybe it was something that had been worked on earlier while filming other movies.

Guest teako170

Let me see if I can clarify.

Production dates and release dates are two different animals and while Life Gamble was released after 5 Venoms, it certainly doesn't mean it was produced after 5 Venoms. Actually, just the opposite is true here.

Release wise it goes...

Five Venoms: 8/12/78

Life Gamble: 2/22/79

The Lee Yi Min factor...

Life Gamble was shot near the end of 1977 because Lee Yi Min has vacated the Shaw lot as of early 1978. The first two BA films were done pretty close together (if not back to back) but don't let the release dates of BA 2 {5/13/78} or Heaven & Hell {1/19/80}, in which Lee Yi Min appears, fool you.

Also, take note of those Southern Screen scans I posted. The tout KC and LM as "newcomers."

While they each had cameo/small roles prior, this production gave them leading roles. Soon after, the film C-Kid came along which would lead to The 5 Venoms production.

I've always found it odd that the actual productions dates have not surfaced for many of these films. SB is a company and every company maintains records. Just what was ol' Mona doing with all her time? Certainly not keeping good files it appears. :rollin

Teako, you mentionned 5 rare venoms movies. Beside Life gamble and House of traps what are the other 3?
Those 3 would be Ode to Gallantry, Legend of a Fox, SSWRB

Guest CLFNole

That makes sense. Marco Polo was done before this right? It would have been KC 1st good role, not a main hero but at least one of the four heroes.

Guest venomchamber

Sun Chien was initially recruited by Chang Cheh in Taiwan to appear in The Chinatown Kid. He was then cast in Heaven And Hell followed by The Brave Archer Part 2 which also introduced Wei Pai in a brief cameo appearance, all prior to Five Venoms.

Magicpoe you spoiled the movie for me! It looks rather dull... I hope those 2 clips are'nt to representative of the movie, it looks so slow!

The Amazing Psycho Per :evil

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer
I hope those 2 clips are'nt to representative of the movie, it looks so slow!

Come on, it's a tease, a hint. When they bring the hors d'ouvres, do you ask the waiter "Hey, is all the food this small?"

No but when the hors-d'oeuvres tastes bad, I don't expect much from the main course. :P Seriously though, I just think it's hard to get excited about this movie judging by those clips, but thanks for posting them anyway.

The Amazing Psycho Per :evil

Guest iron flag

It wouldn't shock me if it sucked. There are some boring Venoms movies (Brave Archer series, Ode to Gallantry) |I

Guest BKarza

There isn't a lot of action. This is not a chop socky indie flick. It's character, motivation and situation based. It's bloody cool as hell but it's not action based. Maybe a tad more, or on the same level action quantity wise as 5V. One of my favorite CC movies.

The clips were only to show how difficult it could be to watch the old boots that some of us have in our collections. My intention was not to attempt to "sell" this movie for anyone or show any particular scene of action. I probably should have stated that when posting the clips.

But there's enough action and typical Chang Cheh style of movie making in this film to warrant buy the Celestial version when it's released. At least in my opinion there is.

Guest venomchamber

HIDDEN HERO is a remake of LIFE GAMBLE and starts the same way, so it would seem the only thing missing is the opening credits, which I will guess may resemble the opening to FLAG OF IRON.

The HIDDEN HERO opening titles sequence reminds me of THE RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN with the cast displaying their weapons against a black background.

Only time will tell...only 3 months left! :D

Guest Tosh
There are some boring Venoms movies (Brave Archer series, Ode to Gallantry)

Oh man, you didn't like Ode? I thought there was some great fights in this one, then again I'm a big Kuo Chui fan.

Thanks for the clips Magicpoe.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer
The clips were only to show how difficult it could be to watch the old boots that some of us have in our collections.

Hey, those clips really weren't so bad. You should see my cam print. Actually, you shouldn't. It'll give you a huge migraine.

Guest daTOAD

all expecting super choreo fights will be dissapointed. this is a kung fu Spaghetti Western. yeah most kung fu movies were born out of the Spaghetti Western blueprint, but this IS a "Western". down to the weapons[instead of guns its flying darts]. the story i felt was excellent.cool characters[gunmen]. one of Chang Cheh's best. like 5 Venoms, the movie transcends the typical genre film. one of my favorite Lo Mang Characters-Killer Knife Mo Chen Fung.up ther with the Toad and Golden Arm[though not kung fu wise].

Guest BKarza

Agreed. Lo Mang's MCF is cool as hell. He's got the hair and the knives and that special knife. CC did hook him up with some of the best/coolest characters ever throughout all kung fu movies.

You'll also notice the hair going up in slo motion(Wang Lung Wei) that CC would use with Lo Mang's Toad in 5V.

Guest tigerstyles

just sat through this drivel only to be rewarded with a great end scrap with Li I Min v Kwok Choi weilding double Chuks... WTF i never heard of this fight scene.. films a bit weak

Archived