Life Gamble / 生死門 (1979)

Guest The Amazing Psychoper

I was wondering if anyone had seen this movie. Why is it that it's never mentionned as a Venom movie? Is it because it's largely unseen? Is it any good?

The Amazing Psycho Per :evil

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest teako170

Its certainly a V-film but perhaps not mentioned as much as some of the others because it was one of those 5 rare Venoms that only the die-hards would have. Come August, this club will be no more as Celestial releases this one and Traps.

Has anyone seen this movie?

Yes. There are 2 versions out there apparrently. The version that I have is widescreen english dubbed but missing some footage at the beginning. How much footage you ask? I don't know but I would guess 5 to 10 minutes. The other version, that I've never seen, is fullscreen english dubbed and I don't know how much, if any, footage is missing.

Why is it never mentioned as a Venoms movie?

That would depend on who your talking to I'd say. In my opinion, it's as much of a Venoms movie as say Heaven and Hell. By that I mean the Venoms are in it but not the main stars as they are in Crippled Avengers, Five Venoms, etc.

Is it because it's largely unseen?

I would say by now most fans have a copy of one of the versions I wrote about above. I can tell you that I've traded the widescreen version I have with untold numbers of forum members here.

Is it any good?

It's in my top 10 of SB films so I think it's good. Why do I like it you ask? Nice plot twists and the action delivers. Others will probably have a differing opinion. But I've been looking forward to the release of this film, and House of Traps, for the last 5 years now.

Guest teako170

MP: Haven't watched my tape in a few years but is the one that starts out wide and then goes to full (or am I thinking of another film)?

The widescreen copy I have stays wide the entire time. The Ground Zero version of Two Champions of Shaolin starts out wide in the credits but then you actually see it slowly zoom into fullscreen after the credits end.

If someone who has the fullscreen version could comment on what footage is available in it and the condition that would be great.

Guest jmungus

i wasnt too impressed with it but i will refrain from any verdict until i see the celestial.

Guest teako170

Stays wide? Hmm, now I'm intrigued. Will have to check out these tapes when I get home.

Guest BKarza

Movie starts with Kuo Chui and Chiang Sheng.

It starts wide but about 3/4ths through, there is a projector snafu during the gambling scene. After the image settles, Dick Wei has been done in, but that is not seen. At this time, the screen begins to fill out. It never goes completely FS. The print is very washed out.

When I get home I'll post clips of the copy I have. Close to the end the picture gets rough, no doubt.

Guest teako170

I popped her in and now I remember why I haven't watched this in such a long time.

What a WASHED OUT print this sucker is. Is that Lo Mang with them long locks? Is that Kara Hui? Whoa, that looks like it might be Johnny Wang.

Man this stuff is soooooo bad that I'm lovin' it.

Crank up the TV to max volume.

Squint at the screen.

Let your imagination fill in the blanks.

Now, this is what watching kung fu is all about. 8o

Guest Feng Gang

Wow nice screens. :smokin

Here are a few of my crap screens...

lf2vh5.gif

lf3ex2.gif

lf4jh4.gif

lf1dy3.gif

...I had to fool with the brightness, color, and contrast, every few minutes for it to even be watchable.

Guest BleuVenom

It's been so long since I seen this film. But because of the quality of picture - it being almost black and white with a little colorization tossed in and then at times is washed out, I couldn't stand having to squint so much to figure out who's who. It's almost like I never really seen the movie at all. I know for a fact that I look forward to it and remembered that it was indeed pretty good. It has a very good story line, plot, twists and tone. It's more IMO like Five Venoms with more character study than fights. Don't get me wrong, there were fights just not lots of them.

It is definately a Venoms movie with the styling of the Brave Archer movies thrown in. Lu, Kuo, Lo and Chiang plus Wang Lung Wei were in it. But the roster got better as I remember Li I Min, Dick Wei, Hui Ying Hung, Fu Sheng, Ku Feng and a host of other familiar faces.

The tape I have has to be missing several minutes in that I saw no credits whatsoever. I'd venture a guess of atleast 5 or so minutes. Lo (with long hair and short bangs) was the first Venom to appear according to my copy. It began in widescreen with the b & W look for about a half an hour, then it begins to look washed out for several minutes then goes back. Almost an hour in, there's a scramble in the picture for several seconds then suddenly it's a fuller widescreen that gradually grows to the point of almost becoming fullscreen but doesn't quite. But it certainly started going washed out again for most of the end.

I think this film deserves to join the rest of our collections. I believe it's a forgotten gem in that most people simply couldn't enjoy it like they truly wanted to so they may not have spoken so enthusiastically about it like the other ones. Most of us at the time who were seriously collecting any Venoms we could get our hands on, did so because it was so rare and was willing to take the gamble.

It is also English dubbed. So that definately worked in our favor for those who couldn't appreciate it visually. I hope great care is taken to remaster it. I can not wait to snap this one up along with another one I've been waiting to enjoy for a long time: House Of Traps!

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Nice pics teako. I personally loved Life Gamble as beat up as my copy is and cannot wait till the remastered version is released by IVL. This movie just spills over with attitude. Typical VENOMS style.

Teako, you mentionned 5 rare venoms movies. Beside Life gamble and House of traps what are the other 3?

The Amazing Psycho Per :evil

Guest Shaolin Patriot

I don't see Sun Chien in any of the photos. It's been so long since I've seen the film. Is he in it?

Guest TheManInWhite

Sun Chien is in House of Traps but not in Life Gamble. It does seem odd why he's not in that...

Guest BKarza

Life Gamble was done around the time when Chang Cheh was using Fu Sheng to get the Venoms over. He was transitioning to the "new team". The early Brave Archer movies, Heaven and Hell, this and Chinatown Kid were around the same time. Li Yi Min was gone by '77-'78. Pre 5V, so that is one of the biggest indicators of when done. It also contains Robert Tai's camera and opera rhythmn cadence influences that he used at that time.

Sun Chien was not seen until the Brave Archer stuff. The whole team wasn't even picked yet. Wei Pai came along for 5V. House of Traps was released in '82 along with the multi year shot, Ode to Gallantry.

Archived