Sun Chien vs. Tam Jan Dung/Tam Jun Tao

Guest Chan Wah Shun

Guest Chan Wah Shun

Which Shaw Tae Kwon Do expert do you prefer? I actually think martial arts wise Tam is better, doesn't seem as stiff. Sun Chien was jumping spinning inside crescent kicks all day, at least back then. Tam seemed a better actor to me as well. What do you guys think?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BKarza

Sun Chien wasn't even in the top 27 screen kickers of the old school era. Wouldn't rank any higher in the modern day era either.

I could list a number of things that he does weird kicking wise. I do not dislike him.

Guest jmungus
to be honest, although i recognize him, i never paid much attention to him. has he ever had a main role?

:\ same here. recognized 'a familiar face' right away but other than that, he kinda went under the radar, even tho i have all of his movies except 'bloody brotherhood' and 'return of evil fox'; so are there any major (1 on 1) fights or co-leading roles of his i should be lookin out for ?

Guest oldeschool17
Sun Chien wasn't even in the top 27 screen kickers of the old school era. Wouldn't rank any higher in the modern day era either.

is there some sorta list thats compiled? Lets have a look, im curious to see whos on there and who compiled it? What weird stuff are you refering to?

Guest Chan Wah Shun

Rebel Intruders (vs. Lo Meng), Shaolin Rescuers (finale, vs. Lo Meng), Crippled Avengers (vs. Kwok Choi and Lo Meng), you guys mean to tell me Tam Jun Tao has NEVER stood out to you guys?

What DOES Sun Chien do that's so wierd kicking-wise. He just seemed stiff and limited in the flexabilty department to me.

Guest oldeschool17

not only has he never stood out for me, i never knew of his name until today, which ill prolly forget tomorrow. 8) to each his/her own

Guest Chinatown Kid

Sun Chien is the man! He didn't have the versatility of a Hwang Jang Lee but hell not many people do. I thought Sun had some beautiful kicks with great form and his kicking in Invincible Shaolin, Two Champions of Shaolin, Kid with the Golden Arm, and Magnificent Ruffians are some of my favorite performances of his. Even though he didn't get a chance to do much fighting in Chinatown Kid, I liked his kicks in the finale helping Fu Sheng fight Kuo Chui and his thugs.

The other guy you mentioned is a nice kicker too and I enjoy seeing him fight as well but I prefer Sun. :)

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Tam seemed a better actor to me as well. What do you guys think?

I think Tam was an extra all the way and perfectly cast as well. I would'nt say I wouldn't miss him (he was great in Invincible Shaolin after being beaten by Chiang Sheng, explaining to Chan Shen, "I'm ashamed" then killing himself. One of his best roles.)

But, Sun Chien is an excellent actor totally deserving of his filming status. Also, with his girth (weight) he's much more believable with really hurting someone when his kicks connect (a lot of people don't seem to understand the importance of this fact) than almost all the other kicking stars AND his kicking kicks some f@ckin ass. If he kicked you in your head that would be it pal. See ya.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I agree vengeance, Sun definately had a healthy looking and fit physique that made his kicks look more powerful. You can see Sun and Tam actually have a battle of kicks in the film Magnificent Ruffians with Sun emerging the winner.

Archived