RZA>Andy Klein 36th Chamber Commentary

Guest gfanikf

Guest gfanikf

Seriously, RZA knows his stuff, while Andy Klein doesn't even recgonize Lo Lieh when he appears in the film. RZA starts mentioning the use of trained martial artists in the film as opposed to early Wang Yu films or "Savage Five and other Cheng Cheh films from 72/73".

Worst part is when Andy Klein mentions how he doesn't know anything about Chinese history. Jesus, man I'll mail you one of my books if you want.

Granted this is only the first 7 minutes. I think a lot of people are going to be suprised with the knowledge RZA has (even if common to us) and intensly annoyed with Andy Klein.

EDIT: Well, minus the RZA thinks that Gordon is a real monk, but hey no ones perfect.

He did recognize Chor Yuen, and no one else did. Andy most likely thinks he meant Corey Yuen lol

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest killer meteor

Why the hell do they keep getting people like Klein or Ric Meyers to these things. I could do a better job - plus I'm a lot cuter and have a pleasant Peter Cushing-like voice!

Guest gfanikf
They should have gotten Linn Haynes, Linn Hanyes knows just about everything it seems.

Defiantly, they need to go and get the RZA and Linn Haynes remix started up. :)

Guest Chen Zhen

hey linn, (if ur reading this) i dont suppose uve ever met the Rza before.....?

rza is so passionate about his kung....and hes a purist too....i remember reading an interview with him where he disses the US version of jet li's black mask, and how ridiculous it was that there was all that hiphop in there

Guest gfanikf
rza is so passionate about his kung....and hes a purist too....i remember reading an interview with him where he disses the US version of jet li's black mask, and how ridiculous it was that there was all that hiphop in ther

Yeah, thats why when the DVDs were first announced and some people scoffed at RZA being on the DVDs, I said I think you're going to be surprised with what he knows. Funny thing also was how Jess kept telling me to switch the track when AK came on, but how she said RZA had a great voice for the track. Andy Klein also had a habit of just repeating what RZA had just said. Honestly, I wish that had had him with David Chute or Bey. Its like for this track RZA=Bey and Andy Klein=Brett Ratner lol

Guest PaulyOne

I was "one of those people" and I still scoff at RZA doing a commentary.

No doubt he is a knowledgeable fan who knows quite a bit, but we all know he was put on the DVD for the same reason they put rap music in The Black Mask... pure marketing strategy.

as Klein was part of said stratagy as well. I've never met RZA, but have heard things friend of a friend that he's a good guy and knows quite a bit because he's actually gotten to talk to a lot of the stars. I was surprised as well to hear that his part was so good, but it's nice to hear. There's a chance he'll be at the Philly martial arts expo, so I'm hoping to meet him there. Klein is a different deal. He and I don't see eye to eye on the reason for commentaries. I feel they're a chance to right wrongs and correct mistakes long put out by people like Meyers and the like.

As for myself, thanks for the kind words. I'd be willing to do one if Dragon Dynasty contacted me. That said, I've been contacted by two other companies for various projects, including commentaries and some documentaries,so you'll most likely see or hear from me at some point in the future. IF all goes well, the titles I'd be working on will surprise quite a few people. But you all know how that goes.

BTW, on the commentary, do they mention the alternate ending to 36th Chamber?

Guest Markgway
I was "one of those people" and I still scoff at RZA doing a commentary.

Me too. But if he genuinely knows his stuff (apart from that odd assertion that Liu is a real monk(!)) then fair play to him. Klein sounds like a fool (as he was on the Flying Guillotine com). How can anyone not recognize Lo Lieh? But then who do you blame: the muppet himself or the muppets who hired him? I would've done the com track for a lot cheaper. :D

Guest oldeschool17

if you see him in philly, ask him why he contributed to those shitty xenon bootlegs. No real fan would have done that.

Guest gfanikf

Fatty Dragon,

19th. We got advance copies to review :) . We should have reviews up for all of them in the next couple of days. I'll try and have 36th caps up by late tonight (4AM EST).

Guest oldeschool17

Just wanted to keep everyone updated on my correspondence with Bey Logan.

I wrote:

Dear Bey,

Please use your power to get rid of Andy Klein, Elvis Mitchell, or any other individual that doesnt have a strong grasp of kung fu cinema like you do. Its a shame when RZA is more keyed into the genre then the other mentioned individuals. You guys should do some promos or recruiting of fans that know their kung fu cinema and let them help on the commentary for your dvds. Might I suggest a person like Linn Haynes, who you can easily find on this messageboard going by the screename: Linn1

pub3.ezboard.com/fkungfufandomfrm24

Thanks -Dan

Bey replies:

Hi, Dan,

I hear what you're saying. We gave Quentin a free hand to bring in his own team of commentary experts. To be honest, sales on the titles have been very good. However, for the die hard fans, I should have done additional commentaries on each film, and will in future. Thanks for the contact info on Linn, whose name has already come up! We hope to work with him in the future. Thanks for your continued support of Dragon Dynasty,

best,

Bey

------------------

We're rooting for ya Linn! Hopefully, we'll something good happen in the near future.

Guest Chen Zhen

thatll be a GREAT look for Linn if he gets hired for the job! imagine that....Linn and Bey on the same commentary track...

more importantly, im glad that sales appear to be very good, which will increase the chances of more HK classics released properly!

thanx for posting that man

well Bey has my info if he want's to get me. I've actually been working on getting other Shaw releases out with another company. An announcement will be coming soon. And no problems such as Image had to deal with But I don't think that would keep me from working on the DD discs as well.

Archived