Lily Ho's Lady With A Sword

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Guest Ivy Ling Po

DDDhouse has shipped out my Lily Ho wu xia. Luckily I paired it with Ivy Ling Po's The Perfumed Arrow and not Ti Lung's Perils Of The Sentimental Swordsman......otherwise my package will be delayed till July 12!

Guest tino

Hi Ivy! You will most likely be the first to get this so please let us know what you think about it when you get a chance. I hesitated and ended up not ordering any of the new releases so I will wait to see if they are worth seeing.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

That's great Ivy, please let us know how both films are. Also if you would please inform us as to who the extras or supporting actors are in Lady With A Sword that would be great. I'm hesitant on pickin this one up, but if Ku Feng or Fang Mien, or some extras of that calibre are thrown into the mix, I'd be more comfortable purchasing it. Hope it's a good flick.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Don't hesitate guys.....this is Lily Ho's last Shaw wu xia.

I already have the King's Video so I know the film is good but I will comment more when I sit through the remastered version. Director Kao Pao Shu made a strong debut as a director with this one. James Nam is equally impressive.

Guest sigis1

I did a quick scan last night and noticed a young Meng Yuan Wen doing some acrobatic moves. Will try to watch it some time today.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Just received this. No original trailer but the remastering is well done. Good plot wellfilmed. Lily Ho looks, acts and fights marvellously. The young kid is obviously very acrobatic and talented. Loved James Nam's portrayal of the bad guy. The image quality is much better than Ivy Ling Po's The Perfumed Arrow which is blur in a few scenes and on Ivy's face!

Iron_Leopard

She didnt do many Wuxia films did she? I'd love to see this cause the only one I've seen her in was Sword and the Lute.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

She didnt do many Wuxia films did she? I'd love to see this cause the only one I've seen her in was Sword and the Lute.

Still no computer ? I have it in double, I don't remember in which format.

She also played in The silver fox, The golden knight, The jade faced assassin,The water margin, The 14 amazons, Intimate confidences of a Chinese courtesan, as wuxias.

• Like 2

Does anybody know or has actually watched the 1971 Shaw movie 'Lady with a Sword'?

They're having a screening here and I'm just curious if it's worth checking out 😉

Chu Liu Hsiang

I did watch it years ago but honestly don't remember details. I just know it has Lily Ho starring and know I liked it because I noted "good" in my list but then again I'm a fangirl with these old Shaw swords movies and do enjoy them all so it might be mediocre or less to other ppl.

• Like 2

whitesnake
4 hours ago, laagi said:

Does anybody know or has actually watched the 1971 Shaw movie 'Lady with a Sword'?

They're having a screening here and I'm just curious if it's worth checking out 😉

Lady with a Sword - I have a copy, but don't think I have ever watched it. An internet search gave me only 2 reviews -

Review with some positive and negatives here - https://www.silveremulsion.com/2013/05/03/lady-with-a-sword-1971/ 

Another review, from - 

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2020/07/10/44061033/born-in-east-la-is-unstreamable   

"Let's see here... We've got flying daggers. Kid fighters. An epic boss battle with a grandma. And, uh, a lady with a sword. The very fun, very schlocky Lady with a Sword is the directorial debut of Kao Pao-Shu, an actress who joined the Shaw Brothers Studio in the late '50s, appearing in over 80 of the studio's films before pivoting to directing. This ruthless, bloody, and *~*femme*~* martial arts drama follows a woman out for fucking revenge after her older sister is murdered by a man she—well, I won't spoil it. (If you notice similarities between this and Kill Bill, you're not alone.)

Lily Ho, one of the Shaw Brothers' most popular female martial artists, stars as this lady with a sword, and she—I apologize in advance for this—slays. In addition to Ho, Kao Pao-Shu rounded out this thing with a strong female ensemble, a noticeable difference from many Shaw Brothers films. Kao would go on to create and run her own production company, Park Films. Remember her name!"    

• Like 2

ShawAngela
7 hours ago, laagi said:

Very good movie, I loved it and recommend it, but as @Chu Liu Hsiang said, maybe what I love won't be loved by someone else, and everybody here knows that I'm not very objective regarding the Shaws' movies and that I LOVE almost ALL of them ! :monk_laughing:

• Like 2