Minor Beef With DD 36th Chambers - Subs.

Guest kungfusamurai

Guest kungfusamurai

Am I going crazy, or were the subtitles messed up a bit on 36th Chambers? I haven't watched the other Shaw brothers DD discs, so I don't know if it was just isolated to 36th.

What I'm referring to are: Spelling errors; poor translation (I don't speak cantonese, but I do recognize some words being said that aren't appearing in the subs); and most irritating, premature subtitles.

With the spelling errors, I would expect them to be an issue with the IVL discs, but with the DD discs, you'd think they'd know better.

The premature subtitling occured at a number of points. By that, I mean, the words would come up a second before the other person started talking, so you get confused thinking it was the previous person's speech. The words just sat on the screen for waaay to long, in some cases.

And with the poor translation, the characters would speak long sentences, but all you'd get is a four word sentence as a translation. I know it's tough to convey everything being said in an exact translation because we're limited in the amount of time we can read the writing. But this shorthand translating is something I don't recall on the IVL discs, and yet I don't recall myself running out of time reading those subs.

Am I being too nitpicky, or do you guys agree that there were one too many errors with the subtitles? I'll have to check out the other Shaws to see if this a trend for all of the films.

BTW, I watched the Yuen Biao film Above the Law, and while there were no spelling errors, I found the shorthand and premature subtitles to be a problem on that disc too.

KFS

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest killer meteor

Blame it on Dragon Dynasty using existing subs from the HK compaines, instead of producing their own.

Guest kungfusamurai

I'll have to dig out my IVL copy of 36th Chamber to compare the subs. I know for later IVL releases, the subs were well done, so maybe they flubbed on 36th Chamber since that was an earlier Celestial release?

KFS

Guest Lei Kung

So... hows the dub. It is included right? I only have the old GZ version and was waiting for this definitive version before I upgrade. Now I'm not so sure.

Guest kungfusamurai

The Dub is the old school one, and it's definitely louder than the ultra-quiet Crash Cinema version.

KFS

Guest venomchamber

DD's English dub track is much the best!

But still, as I speak English, this disc suits me fine!

What's more, if you prefer reading the subtitles rather that watching Liu Chia-Hui perform, I suggest you view the IVL version.

What's more, if you prefer reading the subtitles rather that watching Liu Chia-Hui perform, I suggest you view the IVL version.

why would you do that when the DD version is superior in every respect? They just should have gotten the subs right.

Guest natoral

Sign-only subtitles for the English track would have been nice too.

It's not as bad as say Legendary Weapons of China when all the weapon titles are popping up at the end and you have to turn on full subs if your watching it dubbed.

Just a little track for the signs for each chamber was all that 36th Chamber really needed.

Need to get off my bum and email DD about this. :)

Guest killer meteor

Interestingly, HKL used to do sign/credits subtitles tracks. The problem was you couldn't turn them off!

Archived