Why do I keep Buying Chu Yuan films?

Guest rindge

Guest rindge

Why do I keep buying Chu Yuan Films like Pursuit of Vengeance?

Is it because:

- I think Chu Yuan is a great director?

- I have a sleeping problem and Chu Yuan films always put me to sleep?

- Is it because these movies transport me back to my childhood?

- Is it because I love the set and the costumes?

- Is it because Liu Yung traveled for 100's of miles in Pursuit of Vengeance without a suitcase but always had different set of clothes on?

- Is it because I enjoy seeing kung fu lackeys who have no skills get killed by the hundreds?

- Is it because I think Ti Lung is the greatest Shaw actor and I love to see him in sword movies?

- Is it because I like sword movies?

- Is it because I have mounds and mounds of money and I don't care if Chu Yuan confuses the hell out of me?

- Is it because I like convoluted plots and story lines that the actors themselves can't figure out?

- Is it because I enjoy the different fighting formations and traps like the Net of swords?

- Is it because I enjoy the trap doors, hidden tunnels, poison cha and darts, that only the man in the mountains who no longer helps people yet has a mountain full of f*cking herbs go on and on about how he is no longer associated with the martial world and refuses to help the person spitting up black blood?

-Is it because in pursuit of vengeance Lo Lieh tells Ti Lung that he better watch his d*ck

- Is it because I get to look at Lo Lieh's bare naked ass bounce (You Jinglin baby) at the end of Pursuit of? Vengeance

-Is it because I am trying to learn mandarin?

- Is it because I am a sadistic b*stard who enjoys punishing myself for some unnamed / unknown sin I have committed against mankind, my family or even worse against shaolin temple?

Can someone please help me understand why I keep doing this to myself? Until I get your thoughts I can no longer go on doing this to myself....at least not until Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman is released....and then I will do it all over again...

Rindge

Guest tino

I think the problem is Magic Blade was one of the first celestial released Chu Yuan films and its his best and people (myself included) are hoping smoething else from him will be as good. Would we be anticipating the release of Magic Blade if it hadnt been released already?

Guest Live Wire

IMO Chu Yuan made a lot of fantastic movies apart from Magic Blade, e.g. Duel for Gold, Swordsman and Enchantress, Spirit of the Sword, The Jade Tiger, Death Duel, Clan of Amazons, Heroes shed no Tears or Roving Swordsman: He is one of my favourite directors and I like his movies by far better than a lot of Chang Chehs movies.

Guest wostry

Magic Blade is *not* his best film, (Intimate Confessions is) but I agree, his novel adaptations are numbingly boring, because throwing everything into a movie without any sense of dramaturgy is just not the way you adapt a novel.

All his non adaptations are good films.

Guest Steve Barr

Is it because:

- Is it because I like convoluted plots and story lines that the actors themselves can't figure out?

- Is it because I enjoy the different fighting formations and traps like the Net of swords?

- Is it because I enjoy the trap doors, hidden tunnels, poison cha and darts, [...]

Those are my reasons of your reasons

I think until he lost his way as a director he was great at taking wuxia fiction and making it exciting to watch. The result may not be particularly logical once he's finished compressing a 1000 page novel into 90 minutes of swordplay and dialog, but it's still a great ride.

At some point (in the early 1980's? I'm not sure when) he seems to have lost his magical touch.

Guest Elvis Mantis

Heh heh, funny post. I agree completely. Chor's flicks are a chore to sit through. He is, IMO, the least inspired director out there and easily the most overrated. I could do without most of his lackluster efforts. I need more Sun Chung....

Guest venomchamber

Chu Yuan films are truly first class and were extremely popular with the audiences as they were based upon very popular wu-xia novels.

Chu Yuan's films tend to be very atmospheric & dramatic and the Shaws spared no expense in furnishing his films to the smallest detail.

What's more, if his films were unsuccessful, the Shaws would have pulled the plug on further adaptations.

I feel some of his best works were INTIMATE CONFESSIONS, KILLER CLANS, THE MAGIC BLADE, PURSUIT OF VENGEANCE, THE CONVICT KILLER among others.

Western Shaw fans only seem to like his kung-fu movies which is very stereotypical as it would seem to me many fans only watch Chinese movies just to watch Asian men beat each other to death. Nobody seems to have patience to watch an intriguing plot-driven story about chivalrous knights anymore.

Chu Yuan films play out like a combination of a detective mystery and the western, which I've always found interesting.

Guest jmungus

that (venomchambers`) reflects almost exactly my opinion.

i totally love the "detective mystery m.a." subgenre.

reminds me of all those "mr.moto" (peter lorre) movies and european 'supernatural/ott' crime capers (based on ie e.wallace or a.c.doyle novels) i used to be in love with as a child.

granted, some of chu`s outputs were a bit lackluster.

great characters, great sets, great atmo, great premise, decent action, but somehow they wouldnt deliver fully (afaiac, nobody but chu yuan is to be blamed; im thinking of ie "black lizard" or a personal fave/guilty pleasure, "the enchantress")

murder plot is HIGHLY anticipated.

anybody know chu`s "the ghosts revenge" (early 70s fantasy/kf indie) ?

VC, what titles u got in mind when u say "his kf movies" ?

other than "the lizard" (great!) and "the bastard" (good) from the basher-era, i couldnt think of any chu yuan "KF" flicks right now; only wuxia and genre-crossover wuxia-esque titles.

Guest Stuntman Jules

Yeah, some of Chor Yuen's Gu Long stuff is a little convoluted, but I really f***ing adore INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN. Along with HUMAN LANTERNS, it's one of my all time favorite Shaw films.

Of his Gu Long movies, CLANS OF INTRIGUE and THE MAGIC BLADE are great, though KILLER CLANS and JADE TIGER didn't do it for me. CLAN OF AMAZONS is pretty good though.

I also dig one of his lesser known films: LOVERS' DESTINY and his segment in HAUNTED TALES is frigging brilliant. I also found HONG KONG 73 to be pretty damn funny.

His movies are good for when you're sick of Chang Cheh's fun, violent but sloppily made films. Still, Sun Chung is a better director in both style and substance.

Guest jmungus
Is it worth getting as a kf fan?

depends on your definition of "kf fan"; but no, not really actually (tho the fights are really exciting).

its worth getting period. its one of the finest m.a. dramas i know.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
At some point (in the early 1980's? I'm not sure when) he seems to have lost his magical touch.

Ya, it was late 1982/1983 and the first VERY noticable slip in Chu Yuan's quality control is a little flick called Lust For Love Of A Chinese Courtesan. People complain of his earlier films, but until they've subjected themselves to viewing this film, they're just not aware of how good they'd actually had it with his earlier flicks.

Personally, I'm happy with Chu Yuan up to the aforementioned point in his career. As previously stated, just check e'm out for the ride, and everything else just falls into "some kinda" >D place. He was unique in the Shaws catalogue and some of his films are extremely well done.

Guest venomchamber
VC, what titles u got in mind when u say "his kf movies" ?
other than "the lizard" (great!) and "the bastard" (good) from the basher-era, i couldnt think of any chu yuan "KF" flicks right now

IRON-CHAIN ASSASSIN was a regular staple on Black Belt Theater & Drive-In Movie.

However, my comment was in regards to Shaw Brothers films as a whole. Many fans merely watch their films for the action, and tend to disregard the storylines, which is a shame because there is a lot of marvellous stuff out there besides just hand-to-hand combat!

I personally am a huge Chang Cheh fan, but I enjoy the entire output of the Shaw studio regardless of director. Some of my other favorites include sifu Liu Chia-Liang (obviously!), Sun Chung (who's work almost reminds me of Sergio Leone with the arrangements of his close-ups and long shots in his films such as Avenging Eagle), and of course Chu Yuan.

Its all a matter of preference. I wouldn't expect Chu's romantic, misty, peach-blossomed epics to appeal to everybody, but give his films a chance. Once we've seen all there is to see from Celestial and there are no more films to anticipate getting, go back and rewatch them again! Chances are you'll probably like them more after a repeated viewing.

gravedigger666

I do not always try to concentrate into storyline,there is far too many clans&individuals who have reasons(or not)to kill or help main character.And subplots.

One cliche is poison masters cannot create strong stuff enough to end days of someone in seconds but instead it takes days.Naturally hero crawls into herbal expert before too it`s too late.

Chu Yuan movies are quite safe picks because;comedy level is low,sets are exceptionally impressive and plenty of good sword action.

Is it because:

- I have a sleeping problem and Chu Yuan films always put me to sleep?

- Is it because these movies transport me back to my childhood?

- Is it because Liu Yung traveled for 100's of miles in Pursuit of Vengeance without a suitcase but always had different set of clothes on?

- Is it because I enjoy seeing kung fu lackeys who have no skills get killed by the hundreds?

- Is it because I think Ti Lung is the greatest Shaw actor and I love to see him in sword movies?

- Is it because I have mounds and mounds of money and I don't care if Chu Yuan confuses the hell out of me?

- Is it because I enjoy the trap doors, hidden tunnels, poison cha and darts, that only the man in the mountains who no longer helps people yet has a mountain full of f*cking herbs go on and on about how he is no longer associated with the martial world and refuses to help the person spitting up black blood?

-Is it because in pursuit of vengeance Lo Lieh tells Ti Lung that he better watch his d*ck

- Is it because I get to look at Lo Lieh's bare naked ass bounce (You Jinglin baby) at the end of Pursuit of? Vengeance

- Is it because I am a sadistic b*stard who enjoys punishing myself for some unnamed / unknown sin I have committed against mankind, my family or even worse against shaolin temple?

Can someone please help me understand why I keep doing this to myself? Until I get your thoughts I can no longer go on doing this to myself....at least not until Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman is released....and then I will do it all over again...

Rindge

Why do I keep buying Chu Yuan Films?

Because his film output was so prolific, as a Shaws' fan, you're bound to find countless Chu Yuan titles in your stash?

Jade Tiger is one wacked out film. Some quotables:

"Right. Bring out the Zombie."

"So you're the legendary chief of the Hate-free Hall. The Unique Man on the Carriage?"

"That's right. l'm the one who always sits...in a carriage and never kills."

This is some burnt dialogue. The whole movie is so crazy/bizzare. Exploding eyeball bombs. Random weirdness. I'd say that it sucks if not for how round-the-bend crazy it is. The madness makes it entertaining.

I got his films for Derek Yee. I had only seen him in Shaolin Prince and Shaolin Intruders and wanted to see more. Death Duel was my 1st choice of the 1st batch of remastered DVDs I ordered back in 04. I was let down by alot of his other works but I still like his style. If he did "The Murder Plot"... wow... 3 times I tried to watch before I gave up.

chu yuan films are bizarre and dialogue is really bizarre but he does know how to make a good story and atmosphere, fight scenes aren't too bad either.

I think he's an ok director, and I mainly watch his films cuz of the actors I like in them (Ti Lung, Lo Lieh, etc...)