RIP : Lee Hoi-shang 李海生

Mike Leeder

Mike Leeder
RIP : Lee Hoi-shang 李海生
Veteran Kung Fu Movie Legend Lee Hoi-shang passed away yesterday aged 83.
Instantly recognizable from everything from 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Project A, The Lama Avenger, The Young Master, the HK cut of The Protector and so much more.
Had the pleasure of meeting him various times over the years, and one of my fondest memories of him is in-between takes shooting an interview with him that sadly sits in the Dragon Dynasty/Miramax vaults...we were covering his work on 36th Chamber etc, and while the crew were changing batteries and taking a break we were talking through my bad Cantonese and the Translator and himself, and I mentioned that one of his roles that always brings a smile to my face is his appearance in Sammo Hung's Enter the Fat Dragon where he plays the African American fighter. (Yes, he's in blackface and a wig, it was a very different time!)
He looked at me puzzled and asked me what I was talking about, and told me he'd never done a role like that so I dug in my bag and pulled out my laptop and showed him the movie, and got to see an actor watching himself in a film he'd shot some 35 plus years ago at the time, that he had no memory of..."that's me?!' and really made me realize how many movies these guys were cranking out at the time and that this was a few days work he'd done inbetween countless other projects.
We finished the interview and he left with a copy of the movie burnt into disc for him to watch at his leisure...
Last time I saw him was probably 2 or 3 years ago when he was still working for TVB in supporting roles.
Master Lee, thank you for the movies and the memories, you shall be much missed and remembered well.

p2869211242.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

Very sad news. Certainly one of the more memorable supporting role actors in martial arts cinema. I heard he just retired last year and it's amazing that he kept working in TV well into his 80s.

Rip Candle GIF by Art2D2

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lee always played the roles of the guy you love to hate.  I really liked his performance in Last Hurrah for Chivalry as Pak Chung Tong. 

Lee-Hoi-Sang-appears-as-the-villain-Pak-Chung-Tong.jpg.f5edf256f74ed342469a2031e3e352b1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

sifu iron perm

Rest in Peace Amatoba Lee Hoi Sang.

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 2

Instantly recognizable face when it comes to so many classics! Thank you for your incredible work Master Lee. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

One of the best and a star that never really got his flowers when he was alive. May his legacy live on. RIP.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MobFu1972 said:

RIP Legend 🙏

Screenshot_20240910_080303_Instagram.jpg

I remember watching Shaolin Intruders and thinking this dude

Spoiler

was the bad guy and I was wrong lol.

He was very versatile in his roles like in Invincible Armour as a guy on the run or a loveable oaf like in Fists & Guts.

RIP Lee Hoi-Shang.

• Like 4

J.J. Hayden

And I was having such a good week. Is there no relief. Thanks for sharing the sad news, Mike, and thanks for sharing that story, at least that makes me smile.

RIP to a true Hong Kong Legend.

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 3

Super Ninja

Strangely, this was the first movie I remembered when I heard the sad news. It's not easy looking good next to Ko, but Lee Hoi-sang pulled it off. Love his White-crested Crane.

RIP

• Like 4

R.I.P Lee Hoi-Sang!

Magnificent Butcher was the first movie i saw him in back i was in high school.  His fight with Sammo Hung was one of the very best of all time.  

I was just watching Lee Hoi-Sang in 36th Chamber of Shaolin not too long ago for Gordon Liu's birthday.

I still find funny that during the Enter The Fat Dragon Commentary that @Mike Leeder mentioned that he talked to Lee Hoi-Sang mentioning the fact Hoi-Sang didn't remember filming Enter The Fat Dragon or the fact he was put on make up and an afro wig to look black  fighting Sammo at the warehouse being shocked that it was him.

MV5BYzM5YTc0NjQtZmZiMi00ZTU3LTkyODYtYzE0YTVkYzcwZTZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

• Like 2