Is Chen Wen another name for Sammo Hung?

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

I noticed that the choreographers for Lo Wei's Vengeance of a Snow Girl (1971) are listed as Hsu Erh Niu and Chen Wen. Sammo is in the film as one of Ku Feng's henchmen and has worked with Hsu before so I wondered...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CLFNole

His Cantonese name is Hung Kam Bo so not sure if that was another name he could have went by. His son also uses the surname Hung so I think it is his real name.

Guest Markgway

Sammo Hung aka Hung Kam Bo aka Hung Chin Pao aka Chu Yuan Lung.

I thought maybe we had a hitherto unknown addition? ;)

If it's not Sammo then I've no idea who it is? Lo Wei's other main choreographer at that time was Han Ying Chieh. But I haven't spotted him so far and usually he appears in any film he works on.

The name Chen Wen also turns up in the actor's credits (13th billed) between Lu Chi and Chou Hsiao Lai. And as I said Sammo is visible in many scenes: though I'm only an hour thru the film and he hasn't had any dialogue or solo fights yet.

Guest Markgway

James Tien: Fight choreographer?

I highly doubt that. AFAIK he wasn't even much of a martial artist.

He is in the film though... and has a brief match with Li Ching.

Still... if you happen to be right it would be an intriguing surprise.

Guest Markgway

Well, strike me pink with a rolled-up newspaper... I just translated the character credits for SNOW GIRL listed at the HKFA and indeed it appears James Tien is Chen Wen: co-star AND co-choreographer. I'm genuinely surprised as I always pegged him as an actor in martial arts movies rather than a martial artist. I can admit when I'm wrong.

Guest kungfusamurai

In the Above The Law DVD commentary, I think Bey Logan said that James Tien got his first start in the kung fu film industry as a stunt guy. Maybe I misheard it. As guys like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan took leading roles, he shifted more towards character driven roles.

KFS

As guys like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan took leading roles, he shifted more towards character driven roles.

he really didn't have that special something to compete in the marketplace with the major stars once Lee showed up.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

I don't know what you're talking about, James Tien is an excellent martial artist, perhaps its more the fact that his onscreen fighting technique is more realistic than most others that has confused you?

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

I think he looks alright, he holds his own in the Lo Wei Jackie Chan movies, especially Dragon Fist.

Guest killer meteor

I liked him best in Magnificent Bodyguards as the Skinner. Love the conversation between him and Jackie

James: Remember...no drinking!

Jackie: Now look...a little drink doesn't hurt anyone

James: You disobey...I SKIN YOU!

Guest Graeme Noble

James fought a little with Sammo in Gambling Ghost, some of that was quite good. However Sammo also fights Billy Chow and that is so much better!

Archived