Smile 2 (2024)

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

Hot on the heels of the super popular horror from last year, Smile 2 arrives in a few months. Different characters, same premise. Personally, I was luke warm on the first film. It was good, but I'm not sure it deserves the cult status it's going to get. It definitely had some decent scares. The sequel looks like more of the same, which is a good thing, I think. 

• Confused 2

Watched this tonight and since I haven't watched part one went in relatively blind.

Overall this turned out OK. Praise has to be given to Naomi Scott who pretty much carries the entire movie on her shoulders.

Story is honestly non-existent and supporting cast not really worth mentioning.

However, I did enjoy the concert portions of the movie. Some of it is well captured and at least gave a bit of variety to 'Smile 2'. 

The horror is a mix of jump scares, blood, gore, violence as well as psych-terror. For the most part that was well done. Pretty brutal at times!

Speaking of which the the horror is increasing in intensity with the runtime of the movie. Which I somewhat appreciated BUT at the same time with just over 2 hours felt too long IMHO.

Also I couldn't help but feel a certain repetitiveness to the horror at a certain point. Probably because most if not all jump scares are badly telegraphed. 

In all honesty if it weren't for the violence and Naomi Scott's performance I'd probably rate this lower. Curious to hear @Drunken Monk what others will have to say about this ;)

PandaPawPaw
38 minutes ago, laagi said:

In all honesty if it weren't for the violence and Naomi Scott's performance I'd probably rate this lower. Curious to hear @Drunken Monk what others will have to say about this ;)

Well again @laagi mate, I thought the first one was shite so me liking the sequel is pretty low........................................

:D

@laagi Did you ever watch Longlegs?

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Well again @laagi mate, I thought the first one was shite so me liking the sequel is pretty low........................................

Tim Rozon GIF by Blue Ice Pictures

As for 'Longlegs' its on my to watch some time probably never if I ever get to it list.