The Shadow Strays [2024] Netflix Timo Tjahjanto

Yihetuan

The Amazing Psycho Per
Posted (edited)

Liked Headshot and The Night Comes For Us… judging from the trailer, color me excited for this one. Tjahjanto sure has a distinctive style.

Edited by The Amazing Psycho Per
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

My most anticipated release for the rest of the year. I'm not saying that trailer gave me a boner, but...

• Haha 1

nahnahnah

I liked Killers and Headshot but I have not been a fan of anything that Tjahjanto has made since. Hopefully that changes with this, especially since the writeup on the TIFF website references Hard Boiled as a comparison, specifically regarding the excessiveness of it. Hard Boiled is my favorite film of all time and one of the rare films that is able to hold the chaotic and kinetic energy throughout its entirety without letting up, so that is a bold comparison and one that I hope is deserving. 

ShaOW!linDude

This should really be listed in the Modern Martial Arts Cinema 1986-Present threads, not the Asian Cinema threads normally reserved for dramas and comedies.

Drunken Monk

For those who are fans of The Night Comes For Us, Timo himself has said this film features more action set pieces. That's going to be a LOT of action!

9 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

For those who are fans of The Night Comes For Us, Timo himself has said this film features more action set pieces. That's going to be a LOT of action!

Action alone won't sell this, which goes for most movies I watch nowadays. But that might just be me. Then again I'm a huge fan of 'The Night Comes For Us' so count me in!

Drunken Monk
12 minutes ago, laagi said:

Action alone won't sell this, which goes for most movies I watch nowadays. But that might just be me. Then again I'm a huge fan of 'The Night Comes For Us' so count me in!

That's fair. I think TNCFS could have just given me action and I would have been happy, but the plot was pretty decent. It's rare that Time foresakes story for action. He usually combines both quite nicely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

This should really be listed in the Modern Martial Arts Cinema 1986-Present threads, not the Asian Cinema threads normally reserved for dramas and comedies.

Can someone fill me in what actually qualifies for the MMAC section? Because I'm at least half the time unsure where to put a "action movie" tbh. 

For example 'Black Storm' which I recently posted about; features plenty of fights so does that qualify for the above as well?

Drunken Monk
1 minute ago, laagi said:

Can someone fill me in what actually qualifies for the MMAC section? Because I'm at least half the time unsure where to put a "action movie" tbh. 

For example 'Black Storm' which I recently posted about; features plenty of fights so does that qualify for the above as well?

I'd say yes. If the action is largely martial arts based, as opposed to gun play, I'd say it goes in here. Althoigh, if it's a thriller with maybe one or two short martial arts-based sequences, I'd say that's a grey area.

• Like 1

Super Ninja

I'm officially excited now. Timo seems to have a thing for all things dark, glad he's still interested in making action films and can satisfy this craving making violent martial arts films rather than horrors. Kimo's horror films are more miss than hit.