Celestial's New Game Of Death

Guest Squid Lips

Guest Squid Lips

I just got my copy of the Celestial New Game Of Death. Haven't had a chance to watch it through yet, but it does run exactly four minutes longer (at 86:20) than the Anchor Bay release. I also saw the Chinese version has a different opening with the credits (has Bruce Li jogging around a stadium track) than the "Candy" themed credits on the Anchor Bay (we get "Love's Theme" from Barry White in the Chinese).

Has an original trailer too. Great print though.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chen lung

PAL>NTSC wasn't done correctly.

Would be interesting to compare IVL's release with Anchor Bay :) .

Is this a Shaw film? Doesn't 'feel' like one.

Guest Squid Lips

I don't know who got their transfer from where but it is obvious there are different scenes. It would not surprise me if the English version is cut. I will try and get some screen caps this weekend. I will also try and compare for other alternate or cut scenes. They are two different cuts for sure. The English version's score is fairly different as well. It is nice to see the original language version though.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Wow, did you actually like this film Squid? I thought this was one of Li's worst films, he got alot better in his subsequent films imo.

Guest Squid Lips

Once again I think my humor was a bit lacking..... I was just making a joke when it was mentioned that the fights were bad that one should not neglect the great story.... of which it isn't.

I think I was also realizing as I wrote it that there is probably a lot of truth to the fact that we judge these films 80% with the fight sequences. If those are great, many times the rest of the movie can be a near dud and still rank up there as a "good Kung Fu movie".

Anyway Chinatown, I wasn't really taken by the sluggish plot but do enjoy it for the "historical" vaue of watching Li start out.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Oh, I gotcha now Squid. You'll have to excuse me, I was a little slow on the uptake of your sarcassum. ;)

Movie is OK but I have some strange interest of bruce lee clones. Original Lee movies do not make me horny that much:wink:

TheKungFuRobber

I have a soft spot for this film, it's some good light hearted nostalgic fun. Was also our man Ho Chung Tao's first major starring role, he got a lot better on screen. Watch Dynamo or Jeet Kune: The Claws if you're looking for better action. This one along with Bruce Lee and I were mainly just for entertainment value

On 2/16/2020 at 4:01 PM, TheKungFuRobber said:

I have a soft spot for this film, it's some good light hearted nostalgic fun. Was also our man Ho Chung Tao's first major starring role, he got a lot better on screen. Watch Dynamo or Jeet Kune: The Claws if you're looking for better action. This one along with Bruce Lee and I were mainly just for entertainment value

You know I think even though the story was trashy and Betty Ting Pei was annoying as hell in Bruce Lee and I, Danny Lee didn't do a bad job of imitating Bruce and was suprisingly decent in the few fight scenes in the film. The dojo fight was my favorite but the fight with the thugs after Betty in his apartment and the one in the desert were good too.

Archived