5 Deadly Venoms Movie Remake - Exciting Developments

Guest The Silent Flute

Guest killer meteor

Aside from some ill-advised comedy, which plays better in the English version, I think Legend Of A Fighter is a cracking film. What a shame HKL completely screwed up the possibly only DVD of it

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

well, i dont think its really fair to make such a comparison between legend of a fighter and fist of fury, since one is early 70s, the other early 80s....

but i did enjoy Legend of a Fighter more as well. easily the most powerful oldskool shapes movie ive seen. action is top notch in typical Yuen Clan fashion, and the plot and direction are WAY above average. easily Yuen Woo Ping's finest all around movie imo.

---------------------------------------------

as for Leung Kar Yan and David Chiang....yeah they didnt have MA experience, as did many early 70s stars. the difference between now and then is that, all these stars for the most part did have some studio training, and the old legends had a much stronger work ethic than ppl nowadays. if ppl today worked as hard as the legends did, nobody would be complaining about the lack of HK talent.

Guest Chen Zhen

the HKL legend of a fighter isnt that bad.....i mean, it sux that it was 1.85:1 instead of 2.35:1, but i enjoyed the dvd for the most part.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yes I know all the Shaw stars were not opera trained of course, I was speaking specifically of the Venoms: Kuo Chui, Lu Feng, and Chiang Sheng were opera trained and that's the reason for their incredible acrobatic and weapon ability. The other 2 members were not opera trained. Sun Chien was of course a TKD stylist and specialized in kicking. Lo Mang a Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu stylist.

Of the actors starring in the remake, the only one I was aware of that was an actual martial artist was Wu Jing who I've seen in action so I don't doubt him. But the other actors I thought had no martial arts background, did someone say they have martial arts experience from working on TVB?(I don't really know much about TVB except it's a tv station from HK)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Then again when the Five original Deadly Venoms made the movie in 78 they were not much older than these 5

Age isnt the problem for me. Its the fact that the performers in the original were opera trained, and the performers in the remake are "soap opera" trained! Like I said, I HOPE that this will be good. I just have not been shown any evidence that suggests it has a chance to be. Wu Jing is good, but he cant carry a film by himself (yet).

Guest Goldenswallow06

Hiang Xiao Ming played the lead character in the 2006 Return of the Condor Heroes (CCTV), at the time I thought he was lacking in acting and screen fighting abilities but I had just watched the classic TVB version where Andy Lau played the same part so he was never gonna live up to that. I would compare him to Ekin Cheng in as much as he is a fancyboy who is regularly out-acted by his own hair.

Guest Markgway

The HKL DVD is fine as long as you don't mind it being cropped and in the wrong language. :\

I thought the first 40 or so mins were very good and then I lost interest when Leung Kar Yan came into the film and it because just a series of fights. Fearless did a better job of telling Ho Yuan Chia's story IMO.

Guest rindge

Mark, I tend to agree that Fearless told a good story and had great fight scenes. Legend of a fighter though, has to be one of the best old school films. Great fighting and acting.

Archived