Media Blasters' Shaw Brothers releases

Linn1

SlothStyleKungFu
...I believe BLACK MAGIC 2 should be following afterwards, possibly with a variant 'REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES' (U.S. grindhouse title) cover, under Media Blasters' SHRIEK SHOW label.

Hell yeah.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I second that bobo.

In one of the last conversations I had with Linn concerning the Media Blasters releases, he stated that there would be a special feature on one of the DVDs that had rarely, if ever, been seen before. He didn't elaborate, and I didn't press him on it because that's not how I operate, but he did say it was Fu Sheng related. So maybe this will be on the Brave Archer DVD.

oldeschool17

Here it is for people that dont want to click on that link

I talked briefly with Richard York of Media Blasters today in preparation for a larger interview that should appear on the site by the end of July. He had some great news to pass onto Shaw Brothers fans: Challenge of The Masters and all future Shaws will be progressive and not interlaced.

Stay on the look out for our full interview in the future.

I wasn't going to Rick Rollem lol :)

Thanks Old was in a rush when posting it.

SamuraiDana

What is meant by "progressive" and "interlaced"? And what's the difference between them?

Thanks.

oldeschool17
I wasn't going to Rick Rollem lol :)

Thanks Old was in a rush when posting it.

never gonna give you up

Nice one, thanks! I think 'The Master' was progressive (thankfully because it may have came from a PAL source and conversion would have been different compared to a possible 1080i master 'Heroes Two' was derived from), but the only thing holding it back was the crappniness of the subs. It was unusual move of not including the export credits.

Can they make sure the extras are the same please (if frame-based), whilst leaving interlaced-shot stuff interlaced, cropping off analog squiggly lines, properly converting to NTSC from PAL without speed-up, seamless branching for alternative versions and complete reworking of the subs based on correct language? If they've looked at all my posts, then I'm sure they know the stuff already.

I know you may have stuff covered in your interview, but would rather have that submitted for their team directly instead so no more problems occur ASAP.

One question I do have for your site: For the remaining films that weren't telecined in HD ('Ten Tigers From Kwangtung' and 'Black Magic 2'), will there be upconversions to anamorphic (which would soften the image, but appease those with 16:9 displays)?

But will they be anamorphic?

That depends. If anamorphic PAL masters exist for 'Black Magic 2' and 'Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung', then I don't see why not. However, it's likely they're just non-anamorphic PAL masters.

From there, MB have two choices:

1) Upconvert the non-anamorphic PAL masters to NTSC anamorphic (with proper treatment, it might go OK - I've been told that PAL non-anamorphic conversion is nearly the equivalent of NTSC anamorphic, so...) and keep folks with certain displays happy.

2) Convert to non-anamorphic NTSC and retain the quality.

MB promised 'The Master' would be the only non-anamorphic title. Whether that was down to bad press and they'll upconvert or anamorphic PAL exists, I don't know. However, they may end up changing their mind and leave it non-anamorphic with a statement explaining the reasons.

Blame Celestial for not keeping up with the times when they should have kept an anamorphic master in PAL (before letterboxing it) at least, if not HD.

Killer Meteor

They should not leave it non-anamorphic. Non-anamorphic discs look awful on some TVs, especially CRTs. They look as good as they can get on an LCD but the simple solution is to encode it as anamorphic. That way, consumer convience is met. The quality won't be lost by blowing it up to anamorphic when compared to the quality loss done with a crummy tv zoom. Watching non-anamorphics on my CRT was like watching films through a grill. On my LCD, much better

The Master was progressive and no other release will be non-anamorphic.

Yes, but does genuine anamorphic exist from the available PAL masters, or will they be upconverted?

Yes, but does genuine anamorphic exist from the available PAL masters, or will they be upconverted?

Genuine to the best of my knowledge, thats the whole reason The Master was only letterbox.

Genuine to the best of my knowledge, thats the whole reason The Master was only letterbox.

Can you rephrase that? Doesn't make sense.

Can you rephrase that? Doesn't make sense.

The master was letterbox because MB only had the option to up convert a non-anamorphic source.

The master was letterbox because MB only had the option to up convert a non-anamorphic source.

Erm, 'The Master' (1980), or the (digital) master :D? Disambiguations, eh? I had that problem at ADG by christ!

Earlier batches must have been non-anamorphic, whilst a little thing called competency kicked in and the later ones were anamorphic. Am I correct?

Erm, 'The Master' (1980), or the (digital) master :D? Disambiguations, eh? I had that problem at ADG by christ!

Earlier batches must have been non-anamorphic, whilst a little thing called competency kicked in and the later ones were anamorphic. Am I correct?

The Master. It's more that Celestial only had a non-anamorhpic version of The Master, like the earlier batches as you pointed out.

The Master. It's more that Celestial only had a non-anamorhpic version of The Master, like the earlier batches as you pointed out.

OK, thanks:cool:.

littlefuzzy

I just picked up The Master today, and I was wondering a few things:

1. What are the other spine numbers for the Media Blasters/Shaw Brothers releases? - The Master was #2, and I think #4 was The Deadly Duo (all I saw at Best Buy.)

2. Of course, I just found out I picked up the one title (AFAIK) that isn't anamorphic... Is it likely that there is a better anamorphic print of this somewhere, and if there isn't, is this going to look about as good as it gets? What's the upconverting that the publisher could do, and is it actually a good thing or something like edge enhancement where A/V afficionados detest it?

3. What is the sub problem with The Master? Is it something that is going to glaringly change the story (for an English only speaker) ?

4. Was this one originally Mandarin or Cantonese?

5. Are there any problems with the original audio tracks for this?

1. What are the other spine numbers for the Media Blasters/Shaw Brothers releases? - The Master was #2, and I think #4 was The Deadly Duo (all I saw at Best Buy.)

3 would be 'Challenge Of The Masters', whilst I'm assuming 'Brave Archer' would be 5, then 'Martial Club' will be 6. After that, 'Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung' will be 7, 'Black Magic 2' looks to be 8.

2. Of course, I just found out I picked up the one title (AFAIK) that isn't anamorphic... Is it likely that there is a better anamorphic print of this somewhere, and if there isn't, is this going to look about as good as it gets? What's the upconverting that the publisher could do, and is it actually a good thing or something like edge enhancement where A/V afficionados detest it?

Celestial didn't create an anamorphic version. Media Blasters' policy is to not accept false upconverts. It wasn't upconverted because it would lose quality. Unfortunately, letterbox isn't popular because some widescreeen displays don't take well to it. Many thanks to Celestial for staying with the times...

3. What is the sub problem with The Master? Is it something that is going to glaringly change the story (for an English only speaker) ?

A slight annoyance is that it's based on the Mandarin soundtrack. However, it is an improvement on the old set.

4. Was this one originally Mandarin or Cantonese?

As my above answer suggests, Cantonese :).

5. Are there any problems with the original audio tracks for this?

Not that I know of.

littlefuzzy
3 would be 'Challenge Of The Masters', whilst I'm assuming 'Brave Archer' would be 5, then 'Martial Club' will be 6. After that, 'Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung' will be 7, 'Black Magic 2' looks to be 8.

Ahh, thanks!

What was #1? Or, I guess it would be Heroes Two, judging by the release dates...

Archived