Media Blasters' Shaw Brothers releases

Linn1

Deadly Duo! And yes folks, the lovely PanMedia's artwork is on it:o.

Seeing as it's from HD, someone please tell them to make sure it's progressive and the subtitles are redone with corrections in everything from translation/grammar to layout?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome news....of course the Pan Media cover art hurts....but it will change. I'm glad MB is sticking to them by blocking their sales on HKFlix. Now Dragon Dynasty and other companies need to do the same.

I hope MB corrects the progressive issues along with the subtitles.

Morgoth Bauglir
I remember the sound being some of the worst I've ever heard...

You talking about the 5.1?

You talking about the 5.1?

The 5.1 on the IVL DVD is apparently atrocious. The only example of reworking I witnessed was the opening sequence (only see this bit of movie as well) of 'Chinese Boxer' and it was awful.

Unless contractual, I reckon MB should drop it to save their skin when it comes to reviewers and allow more bitrate in other worthy things ;).

Looks like that cover IS the Pan Media cover. They seem to have the Pan Media dvd pictured as opposed to the MB one. Perhaps no cover artwork yet.

Yes i can tell you the 5.1 mix on the HK dvd is one of the worse ever!

If this is mono and anamorphic i will buy it.

Killer Meteor

Awesome! Been looking forward to seeing this since Momentum had it on their "Coming Soon" list 3 years ago!

The Running Man

According to HK Flix, it's out in September.

Challenge of the Masters is next month.

So there's no MB Shaw title for August?

The only other movies I can remember that are as bad soundwise are Brave Archer and Lady Assassin.

The Running Man
I'll ask MB about it. I'm sending them my questions today.

Thanks gfanikf. :)

By the way, have you, or are you, going to forward them my and chen lung's comments and suggestions about their Shaw Brother DVDs? I believe they are in the thread for The Master.

Thanks gfanikf. :)

By the way, have you, or are you, going to forward them my and chen lung's comments and suggestions about their Shaw Brother DVDs? I believe they are in the thread for The Master.

I think they may have read them already, If not, sure.

The Running Man

Alright cool gfanikf. :)

Let me just rewrite them as there are some new issues since their release of The Master that must be addressed to them. So you can just copy and paste these and forward it to them. :)

1) All movies in progressive video. No interlacing.

2) Please tell the translator who works on the English subtitles to not allow any simplification, dumbed down sentences, or anything left out of the subtitle translations from the dialog spoken in the movies. While the new subtitles are an improvement over the Celestial subs, they still are noticeably dumbed down just like the Celestial English subtitles were. There is a level of high quality of English translation on their Japanese releases and the same should be towards these.

Also, to pay more attention on the grammar.

3) Totally redo the layout design of the subs. MB are just using the same timings as the Celestial subtitles. It'd be appreciated if they re-time them to fit more with their standard of subtitling as appears on their Japanese releases. For example, timing the dialog of multiple people speaking to appear on screen just when the actors say them rather than having each separate dialog appear on the same time on top of each other marked by a "-".

4) Please note that not every Shaw Brother film is in Mandarin. While it's great that they include both Cantonese and Mandarin mono audio tracks on the DVDs, the translator should be working from the appropriate language track for the film. So while Heroes Two was Mandarin, their last release of The Master was not and unfortunately the subs were based on the Mandarin track instead of the Cantonese one.

Linn Haynes commented before that he gave MB a list of what each film's official language track is. If this information is lost to them and they are not quite sure, they can easily post a question here on this forum and me or any of the other members here would be more than happy to give them the correct information.

This also means that the translator should be working from the film's actual audio track and not any Chinese subtitles. The reason being that the Chinese subtitles Celestial has created, like their English ones, are always based on the Mandarin tracks regardless of whatever the official language track of the film is.

5) A minor one, but it'd be preferable if the subtitles on the interviews were optional and not burned on the video.

The Running Man

The discs are already including the (horrible) English dubs on them. What I mentioned are points that are flaws on the current discs that need improving.

Killer Meteor
The discs are already including the (horrible) English dubs on them. What I mentioned are points that are flaws on the current discs that need improving.

Speaking as a Shaw dub fan (but not a dub fan in general!), I'd like to warn distributors that some of the English dubs suffer from replaced foley on the Celestial version. In particular, The Heroic Ones on the Siren DVD had several pieces of fight foley replaced by awful new sounds. I hope distributors will check the dubs and substitute any new foley with the corresponding part on the Chinese track

In particular, The Heroic Ones on the Siren DVD had several pieces of fight foley replaced by awful new sounds. I hope distributors will check the dubs and substitute any new foley with the corresponding part on the Chinese track

Don't you mean the IVL DVD? I don't recall any added sound effects on the Siren disc at least not when watching the mono track of the film.

Killer Meteor

No, I mean the English track on the Siren. The Mandarin on that DVD was proper mono all the way!

No, I mean the English track on the Siren. The Mandarin on that DVD was proper mono all the way!

Yes, I've watched the English track on there once. What is added or changed? I've seen this movie a dozen or more times and nothing stood out when I watched it. Granted, it's been some time back but I don't remember anything being different from what it was supposed to be. I used to have the dutch tape as well as taped from tv on Martial Arts Theater under the title SHAOLIN MASTERS of all things.

1) All movies in progressive video. No interlacing.

Adding to that, any film-shot material including extras (trailers/alternative openings) at 23.976. Chen's interview is naturally interlaced and correctly left that way :).

Also to make sure externally sourced extras from PAL are fully converted to NTSC speed (I think audio may still have been PAL), in the correct ratio with the squiggly lines cropped off as there's nothing benefited from retraining them - only a distraction (especially with the format of 16:9, etc - they'll be visible).

If Celestial aren't being bitchy, one request would be to use proper Seamless Branching for versions shorter than the other - implementing the English credits, etc - people with old versions on VHS can make the transition better without worrying about the reinstating of footage not originally for the version - also for a more authentic experience. The 'Heroes Two' effort to get the 'Hung Styles' intro is appreciated. However, if people wanted to go back to that section during the film, then it wouldn't be possible because they're on separate titles - the Celestial ident halfway between the two also disrupts the flow (if anything, place this on a separate title and/or at the beginning of any version once only). If MB were to implement any form of multiple versions (such as 'pre-film footage' or alternative/cut footage/credits etc), can they please avoid the method used on the 'Heroes Two' DVD which I don't think was proper Seamless Branching (aka 'Stories'), just an instruction to play the intro with the end-jump set to the main film.

One suggestion would be to place both the Cantonese/Mandarin soundtracks of the Celestial trailer on separate audio tracks synched to one playing of the video (like IVL have done) as opposed to playing them one after the other :).

I know it's nit-picky, but can MB please avoid instances of superfluous audio/subtitle tracks as it's a bit of a pain to switch off when I have to flick through them (just a bit untidy ;)) :).

If someone were to be placed on the forum so we can all correspond our concerns by PM and one grand topic, then that would be very cool indeed :).

Thanks everyone

venomchamber

I assure you, you will like the cover for MB's DEADLY DUO as it is a thousand times better than the Pan Media version! (You will also be pleased to know that CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS will include the original ShawScope English export trailers as well.) I believe BLACK MAGIC 2 should be following afterwards, possibly with a variant 'REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES' (U.S. grindhouse title) cover, under Media Blasters' SHRIEK SHOW label.

Archived