Media Blasters' Shaw Brothers releases

Linn1

Guest Austin Jones

I agree; Image had a golden opportunity, but didn't have the ability to pull it off. Of course, being a collector for years and years, I've seen that happen pretty often. Here's to hoping for continued success with DD, and much success for MB as well.

Austin Jones

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ivy Ling Po

I can't wait.....when can I get my hands on a copy of Black Magic 2?

I hope it is before IVL releases it early next year.

unless things have changed quite a bit, the contract that every company signs has a clause saying that they can't release things prior to the HK release. This doesn't apply to films they are going to release VCD only or not going to release at all. So most likely Super Ninja and Black Magic 2 will come from IVL first.

Guest Austin Jones

Hell, I don't mind double-dipping on some of these titles - a clear, remastered cut of 5EN, followed by a clear, remastered cut w/ English Dub is enough for me to buy it twice. My original Vista copy of Super Ninjas is starting to show its age...

Plus, I could always have a yard sale with the discs I have doubles of.:hat

That'll make the soccer moms in the neighborhood happy when little Jimmy comes home with a copy of Human Lanterns!:lol

Austin Jones

Guest chen lung

Would Image be allowed to sell their unreleased catologue to Media Blasters, or are Celestial too bitchy?

Human Lanterns is owned by Image, and they were due an uncut version. Should be alright, unless they mess the transfer and exclude the dub e.t.c All the same, I prefer Media Blasters.

Image plans to release the rest of their films. I don't know of a plan stop doing them. As for the subtitle question, all I can say at the moment is we have talked about the problem.

Guest The Running Man

Please push for retranslations from hired Chinese translators Linn. Both Image and Dragon Dynasty have dropped the ball in that regard and Media Blaster' lineup is the last chance.

and Media Blaster' lineup is the last chance.

they're not even close, there's at least two more companies looking at Shaw films right now. But I'll see what I can do. I don't think it will be a problem unless there's some clause they have to use the HK sub track, which has happened with Image.

Guest The Running Man
they're not even close, there's at least two more companies looking at Shaw films right now.

Really?? Are there even titles left of interest to be picked up?

With a total of three companies releasing the Shaw films stateside, I'd be surprised if there are any popular titles left.

Curious, does Dragon Dynasty own Chinatown Kid?

But I'll see what I can do. I don't think it will be a problem unless there's some clause they have to use the HK sub track, which has happened with Image.

Well, I don't know how strong the clause was seeing that Image did proof read the subs over again to make them more legible, which would constitute as "improving" the subtitles and not exactly using the original sub tracks.

But anyway Linn, thank you for having this as one of the topics to discuss in the production of these discs. Please push for it and keep us informed on that. :)

Really?? Are there even titles left of interest to be picked up?

there's about 40 quality films left that haven't been picked up yet. And that's not including horror/expoitation films which haven't even been touched really by US companies.

run out of tittles? IMAGE may have 10 dubbed shaws by the end if we are lucky--50 from DRAGON DYNASTY-- and 10 that we know of from MEDIA BLASTERS-- so far thats a grand total of 70. from all the info and rumours that i,ve read CELESTIAL is in possession of between 200 to 300 english dubbed shaws. so there should be a lot of tittles to go around-if some of these guys would do their homework and dig deep and push CELESTIAL for the truth. i know i for one would buy every english dubbed shaw-- regardless if it was hugely popular or not.:hat

Guest The Running Man

Dubbed Shaws??

I didn't know we were counting the films based solely on which ones have those crap English dubs. |I

And I never said anything about the entire catalogue of titles, I was just talking about the popular titles. Reading the Media Blasters list of the first lineup, I am very surprised Weinstein never picked up some of them considering that they were the biggest company digging in.

I'm also surprised that Image got a title like Legendary Weapons of China.

That's what I was talking about. :)

Guest killer meteor

Indeed, there is a lot more to these films than the dubs. I'd rather have a previously unseen film than another dub

i for one still believe that the success or failure of shaws released in north america rest on whether the english dubs are at least an option--without the dubs they won,t sell enough to be profitable. there are lots of tittles still available. does anyone here know how the sale of the dragondynasty shaws compares to the image sales? anyway a lot of the best tittles were dubbed so there should be enough movies to keep everybody happy.

Guest natoral

The first thing that sent up a red flag for me was the fact MB has Flag of Iron.(no pun intended) :)

All we've told as far as DD is that they have all Venoms/LKL films but with Image's release of Legendary Weapons and MB having Flag i'm really curious what is still out there.

I'm more curious then anything if DD has Masked Avengers. :evil

From the looks of things they may not have some of the venoms movies that only have 2-3 of the group.

Definate DD releases-

Five Deadly Venoms

Crippled Avengers

Heroes of the East

36th Chamber of Shaolin

One Armed Swordsmen

My Young Auntie

King Boxer

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter

Avenging Eagle

The Kid with the Golden Arms

Come Drink With Me

Golden Swallow

Speculative-

36th Chamer 2

36th Chamber 3

Mad Monkey Kung-fu

Return of the One Armed Swordsmen

New One Armed Swordsmen

Executioners From Shaolin

Fist of the White Lotus

Shaolin Mantis

Mad Monkey Kung-fu

Lady is the Boss

Dirty Ho

Avenging Warriors of Shaolin

Invincible Shaolin

2 Champions of Shaolin

Vengeance

ALL of this is stuff i've heard on forums like this so I am in no way saying I know any of this for a fact other then whats been released already and what DD has publicly stated.

If anyone wants to help me with that list it would be greatly appreciated.

DD should just announce what they have already.

The only way for Shaw Bros movies to be booted any harder then they already have would be for the booters to set up a tent outside of DD's offices and start selling them. :lol

Linn- time to warn everyone again about this same arguement from the last MB shaw thread?

PS give the 411 on my speculative list! :b

those that want to argue about dubs, move to the thread where I moved your posts. As for a title list for DD or MB, or even Image, keep hoping. If someone released that to the public, they could kiss ever working with these and other companies ever again. If the company says it's ok, the titles get released. This is no different than when Warner Brothers releases dvds, they're not going to give you a list of releases for the next two years. Hell, you're lucky if you get six months. This has less to do with boots and more to do with average market practices.

As for your list, when the DD titles were at Disney, they mainly had Venom/Lau Kar Leung films. One or two of your speculative titles, they don't have.

Guest natoral

Hmm so I guess they renegotiated the deal after DD/TWC broke off from Disney.

Makes sense since they went from not having the dubs to just mysteriously having them all of a sudden.

Still crazy that they have 50 considering all together I could only come up with like 20 or 30 something.

Still crazy that they have 50 considering all together I could only come up with like 20 or 30 something.

they had 700+ films to choose from.

Guest The Running Man
All we've told as far as DD is that they have all Venoms/LKL films but with Image's release of Legendary Weapons and MB having Flag i'm really curious what is still out there.

That's exactly the frame of mind I had when I made this comment, "With a total of three companies releasing the Shaw films stateside, I'd be surprised if there are any popular titles left."

Guest natoral
they had 700+ films to choose from.

True but are R1 companies gonna be interested in anything other then the Martial Arts/Horror-exploitation stuff?

That can't make up more then 300-400 of the titles alot of which aren't "popular titles".

Any chance theirs an English list somewhere of most of the 700+ shaws?

That's exactly the frame of mind I had when I made this comment, "With a total of three companies releasing the Shaw films stateside, I'd be surprised if there are any popular titles left."

I was sort of echoing your sentiments but I didn't really word it that way.It really makes you wonder though.

Guest oldeschool17

Bobo and to everyone else asking that question, please wait till AFTER lo meng's appearance in philly at the end of August to receive more details on the Media Blaster releases and other related info. Linn has stated this allready. Im sure Linn and other forum members will fill us in on those details after they have attended

*Bobo, why is it that every other reply from you says:

HTML Comments are not allowed

:lol

Archived