Black Tavern

Guest daTOAD

is in the top ten swordplay films the Shaw Brothers produced IMO.It's actually the only film I've ever actively sought out alternate versions of. It will be nice to finally have a great copy after having the German widescreen version for years. While there's not a lot of fighting females in it, it's easily one of, if not the, best of Chen Kuan Tai work. If you're a fan of Chen, it's a must see. Also, it's not a strict Qing tale. They do have their hair pulled back, but most don't (I don't think any) have their heads shaved. It's more like the old Chang Cheh films in that way.

And FYI, "The Essential Guide To HK Movies" was more of a selling tool for the shops Toby and Rick ran, reportedly the films they kept in stock got higher ratings. I know there's quite a few ratings in there that I just can't understand like Killer Constable, which is in no way an "okay" film as rated in that book.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tino

I saw Killer Constable 6 or 7 years ago. I bought a vhs tape not knowing what to expect and when I realized it was a swordplay movie I was dissapointed but kept watching anyway. This movie changed my mind on swordplay films because its so darn good. At the time all I wanted to watch was emptyhanded kung fu fighting. This is a great film imo and I can't wait to see it remastered.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Oh my God......I watched Black Tavern tonight and was blown away by the fighting choreography. This DVD should be in the collection of everyone who claims they love Shaw films. I have never seen Ku Feng so bad or Shih Szu so good. This is quintessential stuff......glad I listened to you guys. Even the beggar's song at the start of the movie is significant. I loved every minute of the movie. Thanks for the recommendation!

Guest peringaten

Running a bit late to this party, seeing as I watched it at least a couple of weeks back now, but yeah, what everyone else said - lovely flick. The moment the cook emerged with that leg I was sold on it! Didn't know quite which way it was going to go after that tbh, then was MORE than sold again the moment Ku Feng busted out that whip. Arrggh, the eyeballs!! Nicely plotted and paced, with a whole bunch of intriguing elements interwoven, from songs to corpse herders... kept grabbing and surprising me, even if it fit in someways into a nice simple format, it was spicy! Good to see Yuen Wah in a cameo, Shih Szu was great and whoever that guy with the viking looking horns was... he more than surprised me with his stylings; was actually kind of rooting for him...

Delivers some harshness, great finale, Ku Feng as a badass... plus I'm a sucker for the snow-bound settings. Gonna enjoy this one a few more times for sure.

One more thing... thanks IFM!!

Watched Black Tavern just now and its everything people are saying about it. Anyone still hesitant should order this movie pronto.

I did'nt like the viking horned fellow. I was hoping that fool would get it long before he did. :)

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Tino, I also hated the Viking-horned guy who was obviously doubled in his fight scenes.

The Tigress was played by Shaw actress Yu Feng who should not have been beheaded so fast as Yu Feng proved she was an able fighter in The Golden Seal.

Loved the final fight between Shih Szu & Ku Feng. This role was Shih Szu's most challenging in terms of fighting choreography.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Much to my suprise this one lived up to all the hype and beyond. An excellent old school swordplay Classic!! Very high level of fight choreography for its time. Lots of cool villians and tons of bloody action. I loved the creativity of Ku Feng's be-headings too. The whipped clever, and the wagon wheel were great. Story was good too. Simple and to the point, and didnt need 20 twists and 50 characters. Great stuff all around. I agree Linn, a top 10 Shaw swordplay flick.

Guest jirpy100

Pretty cool movie. And a hell of a lot of fighting in this one.... I loved the Inn idea, it was simple yet original. A modern remake could work quite well.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just got done listening to Kissing Contest Podcast and they were talking about this film and that it should get a re-release because it's one of the best Shaw movies ever. So fantastic that it's one of those movies where Tarantino would try to rip off. I need to see this film now but the lack of resources on the internet is quite sad, don't you think? This film should be a sticky thread, so let the discussion begin!

wongfeihung62
For those interested, the film will go on sale on ebay, next Saturday.

I don't suppose that you want to sell it privately as this is one I need for my collection, and if so how much you wanted for it?

Nothing like reviving a seven year old thread!

It is a great movie and one of the things that really helped draw me into the story was the atmosphere. The snowy surroundings of the bleak inn just hit right note for the simple, yet brutal story.

Love this movie. And, I discovered it by accident when it was offered as an replacement for another dvd I had ordered that was out of stock. On a whim I took it. WOW! One of those hidden Shaw gems that does not seem to have gained the popularity it should have.

! One of those hidden Shaw gems that does not seem to have gained the popularity it should have.

As you know that is combination of many factors. IVL out ot print long time, not directed by CC/LKL/Chu Yuan, no big stars in it, no R1 release...

It`s highly recommended movie.If want to get original, thai release is one to grab.Unless you want to spend time hunting for IVL and be prepared to pay quite a lot. I am not sure if taiwan disc exists...

Archived