Black Tavern

Guest daTOAD

Guest daTOAD

anybody know anything about this movie[dont trust the back of he box synopsis ,they hardly ever do thee film justice]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I just got this title in today and I'm gonna check it out friday evening. I will definitely be giving a quick little heads up that night and then a little more "indepthness" over the weekend.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Do stress on Shih Szu's role in the movie. I have to know if it is true she only appears for 15 minutes at the most towards the end of the movie. Thanks!

Guest ToothbrushFu

I watched this the other day. That's probably about right for 15 mins at the end. Shih Szu does appear at the start and a couple of times around the halfway mark but her main screen time is in the end fight, which is kinda disappointing if she's the reason you're watching the movie. But its still a good film, and Ku Feng is totally badass in this.

Guest Live Wire

It´s true Shi Szu is in it more or less only in the final 20 minutes. But these 20 minutes are great. It´s another fantastic fight performance of my favourite Shaw actress. Ku Feng as the main bad guy is truely evil. The showdown is great and brutal with a lot of of the red stuff flowing around.

Guest Shih Szu Boy

My favorite! Just ordered--I've been waiting for this one for a long time, after all of these years wondering if Celestial would go belly up or abandon the project.

Just watched this last night. Great flick! Fighting throughout most of the flick. Lots a blood. They only get through the first chapter with telling a story, but it dosen't matter, Ku Feng IS the mutha f#ckin villian who's mad in this film. Awesome Ku Feng vehicle. Shih Szu (she's playing the student of the Lady Hermit from that film, it's somewhat like a sequel to that film in that way, I guess) kicks some ass here as well and yes, I agree Ivy, Kang Hua definitely has the charisma of playing a lead role with the best of 'em.

The pacing is quick, the dialogue meaningful, and the english translations are good.

The beheading of the Tigress is so well done. In fact all of the fight choreographs are extremely well done. The story is completely unpredictable and imaginitive. The fight choreographs were appearently well rehearsed. I mean the continuity with the fight scenes especially are seemless.

The old guys shine in this film. Some of you will see. The old guy with the horned helmet, I don't think I've ever seen him play a badass fighter before, his fight scene was excellent as well.

There are some unnecessary parts and silly leading up to parts near the beginning of the film, but they pass quickly enough. The singing beggar was unnecessary, yet the lyrics to his second song were good. He also unfittingly has a little more to his role than he should have.

Stylishly done, quick paced, great acting, and violent as hell. One of my favorite Ku Feng flicks of the year so far. I'll be watchin this flick again soon, especially for the fight scenes, something I never do, a MUST have for Ku Feng fans.

9/10 ...if not just for the violence

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

This is one hell of ride! A fantastic little movie which had no fanfare before its release and then bang, just like Devils Mirror it's blown me away!

As said the first 15 minutes or so are pretty uninspiring but then Ku Feng takes to the screen and its game on. I was also impressed with Shih Szu's swordplay, she really goes for it big time.

Guest kungfufreak

Have seen.Wow Great Movie!!!!

The 20min bloody Showdown is in my Eyes one of the best of this Aera.One of the best Acting from Ku Feng.A MUSSSS!!!

Guest iron flag

Thanks for the heads up on this movie...The title didn't catch my attention but I'll be ordering it as well.

Guest jmungus

its always nice to come across another exciting inn (tavern) classic.

the plot doesnt carry too much weight or finesse; it has enough little twists to keep it moving tho.

more important to what makes a true inn-flick likable are other things anyway- like for the viewer to have a good understanding of the premises; to have set up (and keep up) a tight, thoughtfully designed mood; to avoid all the little traps that aid to make such a rather intimate play one-dimensional and dull/anticlimactic.

in retrospect, i do wish there was another little subplot, maybe some more dirty work in the background, a nice lil diverting intrigue to keep us guessing, or plant a red herring under our noses.

small bits of elements of that nature do exist (like the imminent danger of poisoned wine), but they werent developed to their full potential.

im feeling another addition to the story like that would have supported BT`s quality furthermore. well well.

interesting direction/cinematography.

actors did a fine job. got the feeling even too good an acting job at times. some bits almost felt like watching a stage play to me, particularly in the first half. anyhoo, they were directed to engaging quality performances.

there were a lot of still shots, stuff would happen within a fixed frame; cutting was precise so no irritations with the editing (quite the opposite- the editing for the action for instance was pretty darn superb for its time), zooming and panning was very carefully used to accentuate, givin the movie an adequate scope.

a tad too conservative for me at times. didnt hurt where it counts- talkin bout the action sequences.

they`d make sure they have got that covered, being very creative with the choreo (the 'whiplash-choreo' for the end fight was pretty ingenius).

its definitely a good movie to check out stuntmen at work.

shih szu joins the fun late; she appears and does it with style and the aura of a movie goddess.

she looks hot and her gung looks even hotter. very fierce and aggressive.

also strong performances by tung li and the untouchable ku feng (although i`d expected s/t more extraordinary from what i read about his gig prior to watching BT).

imo theres room for improvement but to hell with that; BT kicks some serious ass, particularly in the action department, special props to how wicked some of the fatalities were done.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Is Shih Szu the only fighting female in this movie?

I spotted at least 2 others in the stills carrying swords.

Guest venomchamber

Anything co-starring the legendary Ku Feng is great as he tends to add a touch of class to almost any production he graces with his presence!

Long Live KU FENG!

kufenghh0.jpg

Just watched this again last night. Thr fight choreographs are superb. What a great action flick.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Can you elaborate on the beheading of the Tigress?

I am still hesitant to pick this one up.

Who plays the Tigress?

Did Chiang Ling & Yu Feng fight well? They are the red and green girls.

Guest jmungus

ivy, pick it up now. as far as i know your preferences judging from your KFF contributions, this one`s pretty much tailor made for u.

basically, theres 2 kinds of fighters in BT- the easy kill and the fierce ones (some fiercer than the other 8) )

the ladies belong to the latter group.

as for the beheading, i could spoil it all retelling it in great detail... or quote myself:

.....special props to how wicked some of the fatalities were done.

since i know u re down with 'older old school' slash swashbucklers, u`d maybe ask yourself whether u`re fine with a movie set entirely inside a tavern (dining area) and its immediate proximity and a plot thats about equal in complexity.

if your answer is yes, grab it and enjoy girl power old asian style.

Can you elaborate on the beheading of the Tigress?

Hi Ivy, all I'll say is she's beheaded by Ku Feng's whip. I'm sorry, but I don't know her name, though I've seen her many times before. She's Wang Hsai's wife. It's a must see if not just for that scene alone.

It's amazing how this film holds your attention for the mere character development, without a storyline, or even any unfolding of plot. The characters and the violence carry the film completely.

u`d maybe ask yourself whether u`re fine with a movie set entirely inside a tavern (dining area) and its immediate proximity and a plot thats about equal in complexity.

The film has a play like setting. But not entirely. It's strange how the chemistry of this movie works so well with so little, save for the violence and attitude.

It's a must have no doubt about it. The first twenty minutes or so are nothing to write home about, but from there on it's like whallah! Don't let your expectations get too high though. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

I am convinced so I am pairing it with Dragon Missile.

Can't wait and must order from DDDhouse as I know Johnny will send it out ASAP.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Hi vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Killer Constable has costumes and hairstyles from the Qing Dynasty era which means pigtails and shaven foreheads. I am not fond of this style though I like Chen Kuan Tai personally. There are also no fighting females in it I think. The Empress Dowager is also played by a lesser actress I am told. However I may get it if your review for it is glowing after you have watched it. But for now it is not a priority. I am also discouraged from picking it up as Rick Baker & Toby Russell have awarded it only 2 stars out of 5 in their book "The Essential Guide To HK Movies".

Archived