Tiger Style Media's 4 Action Pack (Art of Eight Limbs/The Lockdown/Lady Scorpions/Kung Fu Games) (2024)

AlbertV

Republic Pictures (part of Paramount) and joined forces with production company, Tiger Style Media and this month, they are releasing in select theaters four new martial arts action films before they all go on Digital. The films are:

Art of Eight Limbs starring Ludi Lin (Mortal Kombat, Saban's Power Rangers): 8/16 in theaters then 8/20 on Digital
The Lockdown starring Caity Lotz (DC's Arrowverse): 8/16 in theaters; 8/27 on Digital
Lady Scorpions starring the iconic Cynthia Rothrock: 8/23 in theaters: 9/3 on Digital
Kung Fu Games starring Mark Strange (Underground, Ip Man 4): 8/23 in theaters; 9/10 on Digital

Tiger Style Media is formed by producers of Once Upon a Time in HollywoodThe Hateful Eight, and Grindhouse.

The trailer above is an action sizzle reel featuring all four films. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

These could go either way. They could be fun, low budget films with pretty decent action, or they could be absolutely dire and easily skippable. I'll defintiely be watching them, though. I like Ludi Lin, Caity Lotz, and Mark Strange (and Cynthia Rothrock's a given), so the cast is pretty solid to me. I just hope they pull off the martial arts.

• Like 2

AlbertV
Posted (edited)

screenshot-2024-08-02-104406.png?w=1024

Synopses of the films:

Art of Eight Limbs
Ludi Lin plays a CIA data analyst and part-time kickboxer. Sent on a mission to Myanmar, he must infiltrate a martial arts tournament that serves as a cover for an arms dealer auctioning VX Nerve Gas. His objective: deliver a critical detection device to allies. However, as the mission spirals out of control, he is forced to confront the world’s most ruthless fighters, standing as the last line of defense against a time-ticking global threat.

The Lockdown
Siblings Charlie (Caity Lotz) and Jack (Leo Howard) are trapped in Myanmar's toughest prison and accused of a crime they didn't commit. Forced into televised fights against other inmates, they must work together and fight for their freedom.

Lady Scorpions
A drug enforcement agent (Cynthia Rothrock) teams up with her daughter (Caitlin Dechelle) to save her abducted granddaughter from the powerful head of a criminal organization.

Kung Fu Games
A group of renowned but notorious fighters (Mark Strange, Caitlin Dechelle, and Jade Xu) find themselves ensnared in a deadly martial arts game show orchestrated by a powerful magnate with a thirst for violence. Armed only with their elite hand-to-hand combat skills, each battle pits the contestants in a brutal broadcasted fight for survival, where advancing means eliminating the competition in a kill or be killed showdown. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

"Martial arts tournament," "televised martial arts fights," "martial arts gameshow." Quite the varied plot lines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Super Ninja

Being that The Lockdown and Art of Eight Limbs are set in Myanmar and are tournament type MA films, perhaps we'll get a chance to see some lethwei action? I had hopes something in the vein of Ong Bak would eventually be produced in Myanmar featuring their brutal art of nine limbs, but I'd be OK with a foreign production showcasing the style. For starters.

• Like 1

LOL whoever made the poster art for the Ludi Lin vehicle needs to stay off photoshop for a while. Guy doesn't even look like him anymore.

Curious if were back to an era of bargain bin MA flicks. Which truth be told I wouldn't mind at all. Chinese streaming giants sure as hell have picked up on this trend.

• Haha 1

ShaOW!linDude

Of the 4 movies, The Art of Eight Limbs looks the best. Some of the choreography in The Lockdown looks sloppy but then some of it looks pretty solid.

Posted (edited)

The final of the four....Kung Fu Games trailer. Pretty good to see Puerto Rican powerhouse Jose Manuel again! 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Well, Lady Scorpions & Kung Fu Games look like they contain some pretty strong choreography. Cool beans! 

3 out of 4 definitely have piqued my interest. I'm ready for these to drop.

• Buddha Bless You 1

slinky#1
Posted (edited)

Art of Eight Limbs is decent I enjoyed watching it. I think the fights were well done, but maybe could have been shot better. I do want to see all the fighters again(they were great). I personally think the length could have been shortened in a few areas(was ok though) I think they were trying to show how beautiful the place was, Just my opinion.

Edited by slinky#1
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

Art of Eight Limbs is absolute dog shit. The plot is slow moving and dull and the action is awful. How are you going to cast Ludi Lin as your leading man and he ends up looking like the worst fighter in the film? He’s dreadful. Sluggish and weak.

I’ll probably be avoiding the rest of these films if they’re like this. Save your money, people.

• Haha 2

One Armed Boxer

I swear whenever I watch Jose Manuel in a movie all I can see is a kung-fu Patrick Bateman...

Screenshot2024-08-21225357.png.988fc5cfd91833a23297d04538612862.png

• Haha 2

sifu iron perm
21 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Art of Eight Limbs is absolute dog shit. The plot is slow moving and dull and the action is awful. How are you going to cast Ludi Lin as your leading man and he ends up looking like the worst fighter in the film? He’s dreadful. Sluggish and weak.

I’ll probably be avoiding the rest of these films if they’re like this. Save your money, people.

Dissed!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Art of Eight Limbs had potential, but it was too repetitive when it came to the action and they could have done better with Ludi Lin as well.

On the other hand, saw The Lockdown this morning and if AOEL is the appetizer, The Lockdown is an entree if you will as it was better. The story, highlighting the estranged relationship between inmate Max (Michael Biehn) and his kids Charlie (Caity Lotz) and Jack (Leo Howard) was actually decent and the fight scenes are much better as Lotz does some wicked moves including a sweep into a flip kick in one motion. Howard gets to mesh Muay Thai with his XMA moves in one fight. I liked this one way better than AOEL.

If I had to rate these so far they are all lacking. Out of 5 and the order of how I liked them.

2.5  Art of Eight Limbs 

2.5 The Lockdown 

.5 Lady Scorpions

I'll still watch the last one, but I wish more effort was put into these. 

Edited by slinky#1

Lady Scorpions IMO was a middle ground between Art of Eight Limbs and The Lockdown. While it is great to see Cynthia Rothrock kick ass on screen again, I was impressed with Caitlin Dechelle as her daughter (you may remember her as Vulture's girlfriend who fought Zoe Zhang in CHINESE ZODIAC). However, I was disappointed with Jose Manuel's performance in this film as he has a training fight that wasn't all that great and he was over the top as the arrogant son of Jeff Fahey's retiring crime boss. I did like the two enforcers of Fahey's character and they even pulled an HONOR AND GLORY card with a certain character. 

It was better than AOEL but not as good as THE LOCKDOWN.