The Tyrant (2024) Disney+ Park Hoon-jung - Cha Seung-won, Kim Seon-ho & Kim Kang-woo

laagi

Posted (edited)

Looks like Disney is going hard with its K-content. Can't say I blame them since Netflix has been very successful just doing that!

What's my fellow K-aficionado's @One Armed Boxer thoughts on this? Looks like we're getting a 'The Childe' reunion ;)

Edited by laagi

venom10463

I'm looking forward to this after watching the trailer a few days ago, especially the superpower element. 

• Like 1

Apparently this was originally planned as a feature film. However director Park Hoon-jung later decided to make it an a 4 episodes mini series to give each character more room for growth.

A mash up of his previous projects 'The Childe' and 'The Witch'. Now I'm really curious to check this out! Come August.

Episode one can't say I'm overly impressed. Well shot for the most part except some pretty obvious and ugly green screen.

Performances throughout the board are good with the exception of Kim Kang-woo having to deliver his (first) lines in the series with some terrible english.

Why asian productions insist on shoehorning english into their productions to give it an "international flair" is seriously beyond me! Because to this day it rarely ever works.

The story, honestly I have no clue what exactly is going on. It's all over the place and more of a mess than anything else.

Action and violence is there and at times pretty visceral but to my surprise poorly edited.

The gleam of hope here is really Jo Yoon-su as the bad-ass female protagonist. She's almost superfluous cool! And yes I'm a pig I find tough females like this hawt! Sue me I guess...

@One Armed Boxer not that I really sold it but will you check this one out? I mean it's only 4 episodes with a runtime of 40 minutes each.

Overall I think for starters this is OK but I sincerely hope they can kick things up for the next three episodes. I shall return!

One Armed Boxer
On 8/16/2024 at 8:55 AM, laagi said:

@One Armed Boxer not that I really sold it but will you check this one out? I mean it's only 4 episodes with a runtime of 40 minutes each.

I'll await your verdict of the other 3 episodes before making that call. :tongueout

• Buddha Bless You 1

19 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I'll await your verdict of the other 3 episodes before making that call. :tongueout

key and peele summer GIF

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Episode two not much to add to the previous one. The narrative continues to be all over the place.

Also we're introduced to a new character which at least on surface level seems somewhat interesting.

On the plus side of things we're treated to a first blood-soaked action scene which does to a certain degree ease that itch! Which you probably guessed it features our girl Jo Yoon-su.

Unfortunately this episode also features some truly horrific CGI. I mean god damn!

They've also added a few light horror elements in the beginning which had me reminiscent of 'Resident Evil' for some reason.

'The Tyrant' continues to be a rather odd addition to director Park Hoon-Jung's work. Anyway, almost done so no stopping now.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Episode three marks probably the first time I'd call this show somewhat solid!

Probably because the focus is mostly on Chae Seung-won and Jo Yoon-Su throughout the 40 minutes. They're easily the best the show has to offer thus far!

Story-wise it's still bare-bones which continues to be the biggest disappointment of 'The Tyrant' and I doubt the last episode will change my mind.

Also director Park Hoon-jung managed to rob us not once but twice of an action scene involving a group of young ruffians.

Last but not least there's a "twist" to Jo Yoon-Su's character. Not gonna go into details but it literally adds nothing to the story. If anything more confusion as why to include in the first place.

@One Armed Boxer I'm calling it now this mini-series is gonna turn out average (at best). There's certain parts I enjoy but the overall lack of narrative and character development make this a hard sell!

I'm curious if anyone else is checking this out? Not based on my mini-reviews obviously lol.

Edited by laagi
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Episode four the final episode? Dial the violence up to eleven that'll help!?

Well unfortunately it doesn't. Especially if there's barely a story to hold the entire thing together. Let alone characters to care for because by large they're just not given anything.

I'm still baffled as to why this had to be turned into a series not that it really matters at this point! Also the entire super-natural subplot and needless MacGuffin literally add nothing.

Episode three remains the only bright spot. I'd also be interested to see more from Chae Seung-won's and Jo Yoon-Su's character because they are almost the only thing noteworthy. Maybe in a spin-off which focuses more on their background before this shit hit the fan!

I doubt this is gonna get a second season (good!) and will probably remain an obscure outing from director Park Hoon-jung. If anything the lack of coverage of 'The Tyrant' is certainly a telltale sign.

To think the same director gave us 'New World' and 'The Witch Part I: Subversion'? Everything about this is just so mediocre and that's a compliment.

Despite it's short run time and occasional highs (few and far in between) I don't recommend 'The Tyrant'. I still can't believe they managed to f*ck this up :(

BTW if I didn't know better I'd argue they blatantly copied the entire idea from 'Venom' lol.

Edited by laagi