I made an action comedy short film!

KenHashibe

KenHashibe
Posted (edited)

I recently directed, wrote and edited a short film called Stabby Stabby, and I thought some of you might enjoy it. It's basically a murder mystery, martial arts comedy, heavily inspired by Hong Kong martial arts cinema (of course). If you want to skip straight to the action, the fight starts at the 4-minute mark. I wish we had a bit more time to film. It was an 8-hour shoot, but unfortunately, we only had two hours to film the fight scene, but considering the time restraint, I'm really happy with how it came out.

I also just wanted to note that I'm credited as Kenji McGuire. Wanted to embrace both parts of my ethnic background, being both Japanese and Irish.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy! Absolutely open to any compliments/criticisms. I'm very lucky to be surrounded by such creative and talented friends who inspire me to create these projects. I hope to make something bigger and better next, and I'll be sure to post here when that comes to fruition.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

massa_yoda

That was really cool and funny. Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 4

Super Ninja

Some 90 min comedies didn't make me laugh this much. This is real solid, I watched one of your shorts earlier and I remember being surprised. Would love to see something bigger with more time given to the fights. Giving the time limit here, Stabby Stabby turned out really good. Keep it going.

• Like 4

PandaPawPaw

I wasn't expecting much but that was a fun short! The bit @2mins where the guy is casually stabbing people was funny as was the whole name thing. The end fight was surprisingly cool too! Pepper was the star of the show though. :D

Keep up the good work. :)

• Like 3

Beardys Feather

Nice work Ken! Well shot with some good choreography! 👏

• Like 4

KenHashibe
15 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Some 90 min comedies didn't make me laugh this much. This is real solid, I watched one of your shorts earlier and I remember being surprised. Would love to see something bigger with more time given to the fights. Giving the time limit here, Stabby Stabby turned out really good. Keep it going.

Thank you so much for watching this and the other short I did! I'll definitely have something big coming down the line, but probably not til 2025. I learned so much making this one, especially how to schedule a film shoot. :laugh Will definitely allot more time for the fights! I really want those to turn out polished. With the time we had, we could only do a few takes for each shot.

14 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I wasn't expecting much but that was a fun short! The bit @2mins where the guy is casually stabbing people was funny as was the whole name thing. The end fight was surprisingly cool too! Pepper was the star of the show though. :D

Keep up the good work. :)

That's my favorite part too, it was a lot of fun doing the blocking! Glad you liked the fight too. And Pepper, who's strangely becoming a recurring part of our shorts. :laugh I'll definitely have more coming soon!

On 7/19/2024 at 10:31 PM, lengkee said:

Nice job !!!!

On 7/20/2024 at 6:06 AM, massa_yoda said:

That was really cool and funny. Thanks for sharing! 

13 hours ago, Beardys Feather said:

Nice work Ken! Well shot with some good choreography! 👏

10 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

That was cool, I laughed!!

Thank you all so much for checking it out! Seriously means a lot that anyone would take the time watching it! :smile

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 7/20/2024 at 12:02 AM, KenHashibe said:

I recently directed, wrote and edited a short film called Stabby Stabby, and I thought some of you might enjoy it. It's basically a murder mystery, martial arts comedy, heavily inspired by Hong Kong martial arts cinema (of course). If you want to skip straight to the action, the fight starts at the 4-minute mark. I wish we had a bit more time to film. It was an 8-hour shoot, but unfortunately, we only had two hours to film the fight scene, but considering the time restraint, I'm really happy with how it came out.

I also just wanted to note that I'm credited as Kenji McGuire. Wanted to embrace both parts of my ethnic background, being both Japanese and Irish.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy! Absolutely open to any compliments/criticisms. I'm very lucky to be surrounded by such creative and talented friends who inspire me to create these projects. I hope to make something bigger and better next, and I'll be sure to post here when that comes to fruition.

Better than whatever Hollywood is putting out thats for sure. Good job 👍 

• Like 4

Omni Dragon
Spoiler

@KenHashibe, should we be afraid of the actor who played the villain "Charlie"? Should we be careful not to interact with that guy, especially online?

• Like 3

AlbertV

Congratulations! I finally had the time to check it out and it is clearly a fun short film. Great job on the action as well! May have to review it for my blog ;)

• Like 5

KenHashibe
On 7/25/2024 at 11:53 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Better than whatever Hollywood is putting out thats for sure. Good job 👍 

Thank you so much! I definitely wanna improve on the production value/fight choreo, but that still means a lot to hear!

On 7/25/2024 at 1:46 PM, Omni Dragon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@KenHashibe, should we be afraid of the actor who played the villain "Charlie"? Should we be careful not to interact with that guy, especially online?

Spoiler

He wasn't acting actually. That's just who he is and we caught it on video. Say to safe you should keep your distance. :laugh

On 7/25/2024 at 2:35 PM, AlbertV said:

Congratulations! I finally had the time to check it out and it is clearly a fun short film. Great job on the action as well! May have to review it for my blog ;)

Thank you so much, I would feel extremely honored if you did a review!! If you do, please send it my way!

Also, if you have any questions about its production for the blog, I'd be happy to answer them. :smile

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

Really enjoyed watching, and had some genuine laughs. I hope we get to see more. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw

I rewatched the fight scene and I do love what you achieved. I was wondering if the knifes used during the actual fights are fake/rubber blades or were they the real deal?

• Like 1

KenHashibe
23 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Really enjoyed watching, and had some genuine laughs. I hope we get to see more. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!! There will definitely be more coming. Might do some HK fight recreations for practice. Currently writing a big project, but I don't wanna give hope that it'll be done any time soon.

19 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I rewatched the fight scene and I do love what you achieved. I was wondering if the knifes used during the actual fights are fake/rubber blades or were they the real deal?

Thank you so much!! Glad people are liking the fight, despite the time crunch we were working under.

For the knives, they're plastic ones I got from Party City that came with a maiden garter. :laugh I ordered better prop knives weeks in advance, but they arrived late. Unfortunately, these were the best they had at Party City. No one watching the short has noticed anything weird about the knives, so I guess that's good. :laugh

This is the one:

Pirate Costumes & Accessories – Page 3 – Fun Services Colorado

• Like 1
  • Love 2

PandaPawPaw
4 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

For the knives, they're plastic ones I got from Party City that came with a maiden garter. :laugh I ordered better prop knives weeks in advance, but they arrived late. Unfortunately, these were the best they had at Party City. No one watching the short has noticed anything weird about the knives, so I guess that's good. :laugh

This is the one:

Pirate Costumes & Accessories – Page 3 – Fun Services Colorado

Awesome! I couldn't tell if they were real or not so you definitely did a great job on that!

Also I noticed there was no blood. Was there a reason for that?

KenHashibe
On 7/28/2024 at 4:01 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

Awesome! I couldn't tell if they were real or not so you definitely did a great job on that!

Also I noticed there was no blood. Was there a reason for that?

Good to hear! :laugh

We definitely wanted blood, but because we were renting a studio space, we didn't want to risk potentially staining the floors with the fake blood. Maybe next time!

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
9 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

Good to hear! :laugh

We definitely wanted blood, but because we were renting a studio space, we didn't want to risk potentially staining the floors with the fake blood. Maybe next time!

Ah right yeah that makes sense. :thumbsup

Just remember us small folk when you're bigging it up in Cannes premiering your latest big budget blockbuster movie where they give you the longest standing ovation in Cannes history! :D

• Buddha Bless You 1

KenHashibe
On 7/30/2024 at 5:40 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

Ah right yeah that makes sense. :thumbsup

Just remember us small folk when you're bigging it up in Cannes premiering your latest big budget blockbuster movie where they give you the longest standing ovation in Cannes history! :D

I really appreciate that! I definitely have a lot of growing to do before I can reach that level, but I'm gonna keep working hard at this as best I can! Thanks so much for the support! 

• Love 1