Fight Against SB Piracy - A Public Service Announcement

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Guest Shaolin Patriot

I found this PSA on another site. It certainly affects our beloved SB treasures. I'm sure many of us instantly think of at least one person (that has contributed to the board) who is guilty of this. :o

Piracy of films and television shows affects all of us--and all of us can help in the fight against it. If you see piracy happening, whether it's illegal camcording at a movie theater or pirated DVDs being sold on the street [or on the internet], there's a hotline you can call to report it: 800-NO COPYS (800-662-6797) with operators who will forward your report to the proper authorities.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Steve Barr

Interesting. I think the solution to SB piracy is for Beijing to tell Washington that they won't crack down on pirated Hollywood films until the same happens for pirated HK/Chinese films.

Guest chen lung
I think the solution to SB piracy is for Beijing to tell Washington that they won't crack down on pirated Hollywood films until the same happens for pirated HK/Chinese films.

agreed :) . But all the same, both sides are guilty.

Not just that, it's problem lies with studios/authorities who don't actually bother doing anything. They only want to act when they feel like it: Reported, Hollywood or not. Cops and the likes walk past them all the time too.

Kinda defeats the purpose of 'WARNING' on all your stuff. That's old and stupid anyway, I can see people profiting out of oil rig (and all other) broadcastings:lol .

Not that I'd want to give my cash to any old loser trying to make a profit out of someone's work, but these studios are just as bad with all their overpriced releases, unavoidable warnings/crap content, and then re-releases in attempt to extort money out of poor unsuspecting folks.

I don't support general 'obvious' piracy. If I know a good release is coming along, I could wait a little while. If it's current version is @#%$ or rare, I'll get a non-profit copy. If I happen to have a bootleg and there's a good legit version, then I'd happily buy it.

Guest Markgway

We all know which companies to buy from and which not to so I guess it's up to our own conscience as to where we spend our money.

Guest kungfusamurai

It's a tough call. While I believe people should get paid for their work, and I highly doubt any of the original actors or directors are getting money from the Shaw films re-releases, we also have to live under strict rules where copyright laws and DVD region coding is designed forbid people from one country to appreciate (i.e. watch or own) a movie available in another country.

In other words, the segregation of the markets is the corporations problem. They chose to create the region codes and lock up films in legal rights. While I don't agree that some guy in a shady outfit should profit from a film that a major label hasn't released in the US yet (or wherever in the world), I think it's up to some of those companies to get behind the films and make them available to people in some way, whether it be by pressing them on DVD, or offering some kind of file swapping service akin to iTunes, but for films.

KFS

Archived