The Sopranos (1999 - 2007) HBO - James Gandolfini

laagi

19 hours ago, CaldoTheKid said:

I recall the Scarface game also made around the same time as being not bad.

Oh yeah I recall that being taken off the shelves in some countries for its violent content back in the day.

On another note does anyone know the significance of Tony's tattoos? Both seem to have an eastern background which is kind of odd. There's the obvious Tiger and I'm pretty sure I spotted a Kanji on one of his fingers.

As I'm not done with the series (S05) please refrain from spoilers but I doubt this will get any explanation whatsoever later on. Just curious ;)

Done with S05 and it's good but I feel like could've been much better, heck even great. 

Some great individual episodes but overall a bit of a mixed bag! Especially Steve Buscemi's character feels a bit wasted but that might just be me.

Still S05 featured one of my favourite end scenes (credits) so far! I'll just leave the song accompanying the scene here. I'm sure those who watched it will immediately recognize the episode.

As for the last season started with it last night and was pretty hyped but felt a bit let down with the direction they're going. Mind you I'm only on the third episode now so that's not really saying much.

However I can't stress enough how great some if not all of the performances from this ensemble cast is. Hats off!

PandaPawPaw
4 minutes ago, laagi said:

This?

Did it bother you or did you already know about it?

13 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Did it bother you or did you already know about it?

Full disclosure I didn't even notice. Not sure what's that saying about me lol.

• Haha 1

PandaPawPaw
1 hour ago, laagi said:

Full disclosure I didn't even notice. Not sure what's that saying about me lol.

LOL yeah I didn't think you had noticed it due to not mentioning it. :P Though tbf that was early CGI so they have an excuse but at least she looked human unlike Jeff Garlin in The Goldbergs @21s.

cgi-jeff-garlin.jpg?fit=851,1080&ssl=1

He looks like a NPC!

• Confused 1

CaldoTheKid
22 hours ago, laagi said:

Some great individual episodes but overall a bit of a mixed bag! Especially Steve Buscemi's character feels a bit wasted but that might just be me.

Apparently Steve Buscemi was intended to last two seasons but Buscemi couldn't/ wouldn't commit to two seasons, hence his storyline had to be wrapped up quicker.

Also while I don't think it has been confirmed but seemingly Feech was meant to last longer, however actor Robert Loggia couldn't remember his lines ( he was later confirmed to have Akzheimer's), so his storyline also had to be wrapped up faster than intended, which could have affected Buscemi's storyline.

• Buddha Bless You 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CaldoTheKid said:

Apparently Steve Buscemi was intended to last two seasons but Buscemi couldn't/ wouldn't commit to two seasons, hence his storyline had to be wrapped up quicker.

Also while I don't think it has been confirmed but seemingly Feech was meant to last longer, however actor Robert Loggia couldn't remember his lines ( he was later confirmed to have Akzheimer's), so his storyline also had to be wrapped up faster than intended, which could have affected Buscemi's storyline.

So many crazy, funny and also down-right sad stories surrounding this series.

My favourite has got to be the fact about the mob calling Gandolfini out on wearing shorts as a Don. Not only that but they actually ended up including this "joke" in one of the episodes. 

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

CaldoTheKid
1 minute ago, laagi said:

So many crazy, funny and also down-right sad stories surrounding this series.

My favourite has got to be the fact about the mob calling Gandolfini out on wearing shorts as a Don. Not only that but they actually ended up including this "joke" in one of the episodes. 

Another funny thing, can't remember which mob family it was, but the FBI had them bugged, and they where discussing how realistic the show compared to most mob shows, and if someone in their ranks was talking to Hollywood lol.

• Haha 2

Omni Dragon
14 hours ago, CaldoTheKid said:

Another funny thing, can't remember which mob family it was, but the FBI had them bugged, and they where discussing how realistic the show compared to most mob shows, and if someone in their ranks was talking to Hollywood lol.

The DeCavalcante crime family.

There's a documentary called The Real Sopranos about them, and it that starts with FBI recordings:

heywhats.png.c44a0651112ddadad170d9cf836a1571.png

It's on Youtube btw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That ending... pretty ballsy move to leave things like this after 6 seasons!

Not sure what to make of season 6 as a stand-alone though, again for me a pretty mixed bag. Outstanding episodes for sure but overall I'm left wanting more.

So many sub-plots and characters didn't receive any meaningful let alone any conclusion at all. I don't know maybe I just needed closure.

Still after spending more than a month with 'The Sopranos' I really got a lot of mixed feelings. And honestly I mean this in a very positive way!

The series managed to spark quite the range of emotions within myself. From love to hate, from disgust to joy, from laughter to tears.

I'll give it that it's an outstanding drama about truly despicable people. Making me care for some of them is probably the shows biggest achievement!

And I'll stand by my initial thought The Sopranos are truly one seriously fucked up family... all of 'em!