Most Feminist Films

Beardys Feather

Beardys Feather

I'm trying to convince my better half of the feminist credentials of kung fu cinema. Which films would you suggest to show her that show empowered female protagonists or themes?

I'd be interested to get your reasoned opinion... Not just 'all Angela Mao films' 😅😅

Koravec

Lame response I know, but obvious choices; kill bill, come drink with me, crouching tiger hidden dragon, kung fu hustle (boss lady lol), chocolate, gunpowder milkshake, ballerina (asian movie on netflix)

• Like 3

thegoldenstate

Truly there are quite a few. But springing to mind at the moment are some of the Lau Kar-leung classics,  like Heroes of the East... My Young Auntie... Lady is the Boss...  Executioners from Shaolin... and Clan of the White Lotus (though I guess Lau only did choreography for that one)

• Like 3

thegoldenstate

And if the parameters are expanded to include wuxia/swordplay genre in addition to straight-up kf, then possibly more than fifty percent of those showcase strong female protagonists...

• Like 1

Super Ninja

If there's one kung fu movie I'd describe as feminist, it's Woman Avenger. That would be my number one pick.

You have strong female protagonists in Stranger from Shaolin, A Massacre Survivor and The Crane Fighter. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

It all depends on how you classift feminist. If feminist means "badass women kicking arse" then you can always go for Hapkido or any number of Angela Mao's other films. Or take your pick from the Girls with Guns sub genre.

• Like 1

thekfc

I would also add The Vengeful Beauty & the Lady Assassin

• Like 1

Beardys Feather

Thanks for the suggestions people. I'd agree with a lot of them. Would you say this is one if the most female empowered genres? Especially given the era...

I don't make a habit of watching girls with guns but is it not quite exploitative?