Six Assassins

Guest Live Wire

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jmungus

chang cheng ho (king boxer, swift knight, broken oath) helms this grim, relentless, dramatic, bloody no-joke swashbuckler thats a bit reminiscent of the late 60s era and has some mild huangmei themes as well as motives familiar to the jidai-geki viewer.

the bad news: i thought theres a real need for further character development. also, some parts were a bit too anticlimactic for my taste (others would feel dated, whereas the same couldnt be said about the movie as a whole; made it a bit uneven an experience for me, but not significantly).

the good news: theres a whole bunch of nifty cool ideas brought to celluloid here and when they play it cool in the "6A", they play it ultra-cool.

as for the story, its a rather straight forward revenge plot that gives significant air time to supporting characters and their (small) parts in the plot, but i dont wanna spoil anything, so i`ll leave it at that.

baddie is super-bad and near-invincible, the six assassins are fierce and death defying, but not all of them are interesting characters or all that capable when it comes to fighting (strategy).

the movie takes its 20 mins to build up before the 6 assassins make their 'super-hero-transformation' and take their vengeance on the road.

i liked it better than other early 70s shaws i recently watched (valley of the fangs, secret of the dirk).

off the top of my head i`d say its best compared to death valley or bells of death, without matching their quality.

its not on par with chang cheng`s follow up project, the swift knight either.

message for ivy: not too much girl-fighting-power in "6A" despite lily li. :P

(well, she does get her fair share of the swashing and the buckling ;) . then there is also the main hero`s wife- a non-combatant beauty)

Guest Live Wire

Many thanx for your reviews. Sadly I received an email from cd-wow. Now they expect dispatching on July 16th. I think I will cancel it now and order it together with lady with a sword, Perils and Dragon Missile from Yesasia.

Guest HAZ74

I've also seen this around on torrent sites, if you want to try before you buy. Both this one & Dragon Missile look cool, but its a tough call.

Guest Steve Barr
the bad news: i thought theres a real need for further character development.
I see what you're saying, but I thought it worked well enough without everyone having a character arc. Ling Yun, Lily Li, and the villain's 2nd-in-command had some character development, which IMO was enough given everything else going on.

I really liked the film; it was free of painful "comedy", had a lot of beautifully-composed shots, good story, interesting action, etc.

8.5/10

Archived