Eric (2024) Netflix - Benedict Cumberbatch

laagi

A good Netflix show? What world is this...

Surprised there isn't more press for this to be honest. I merely found out about it myself by coincidence. OK truth be told it was "suggested" on Netflix.

Binge watched the first three episodes from a total of six. Pretty unique mix so far what appears on surface level a typical crime drama. Since this is a limited series my only worry at the moment is IF they can stick the landing with a plausible conclusion.

Lots of set up so far going different directions and giving you quite a few curve balls or maybe I'm just too dumb to see through it all lol. Surprised on how many topics they (try to) tackle with this. Probably no surprise they chose 80's NYC as the backdrop. The show looks great if I didn't know better it even has a bit of an A24 vibe going.

Anyway, if you're looking for a better Netflix show atm and you're up for a (so far) good and not your average crime drama this comes recommended.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• laagi

Top Posters In This Topic

Did 'Eric' stick the landing? I'd say for the most part yes it did. This 6-episodes limited series has enough going for it if you're a fan of crime, mystery, drama and maybe even a bit of thriller. 

The visuals (not VFX) are extremely well done in this series! Obviosuly I have no idea how NYC looked like in the 80's but this world they brought alive had a sense of realism I really appreciated! And yes NYC is a shithole in this... or still is, I'll let someone else be the judge here lol.

With everything they threw in the mix here and with all the topics they tackle I'm actually surprised it turned out this way. At times 'Eric' does feel overcrowded with issues and sub-plots which in fairness eventually do all somewhat add up.

I didn't really wanna tackle one "problem" I had with the series because I feel it does 'Eric' no justice but since it's somewhat bugging me I'll go ahead and talk about it anyway.

If there was ever a "woke" series this one might be pretty close to being one. Given this is 80's NYC it somewhat makes sense. However how it is delivered here had me rolling my eyes a few times. Subtlety is a word coming to mind!

It doesn't help much either that especially in the last episode 'Eric' almost becomes preachy. Now don't get me wrong all these topics the series tackles are important and in a perfect world we wouldn't constantly have to remind people about it. 

However in the end of the day it's all about how you deliver "the message". Anyway, just felt the need to mention this. Maybe it's just me anyway.

Overall I recommend you give 'Eric' a chance. Definitely one of the better series on Netflix and one I've watched recently even with its shortcomings.