Around the World in 80 Days (2004) - Jackie Chan, Steve Coogan, Cecile De France, Karen Mok

AlbertV
Posted (edited)

MV5BOGI2ODRiYzctMzA4YS00ZThhLWI5NzYtZDRh

20 years ago today, Jackie Chan's only film for Disney, an adaptation of Around the World in 80 Days, was released in theaters. I remember seeing this on opening day, It was loads of fun IMO. A nice three-on-one fight scene between Chan, Ken Lo, and two other JC Stunt members in Paris, the fight between Chan and Daniel Wu which leads to Sammo Hung's cameo as Wong Fei-Hung and the Ten Tigers (one of who includes Cheng Pei-Pei's daughter Marsha Yuen) and the Statue of Liberty fight against Karen Mok and crew. 

I had a chat with actress/model/musician Natalie Denise Sperl the other day and she is in the film. She plays the con woman who steals from Phileas Fogg upon his arrival in San Francisco. She told me she was up for the lead female role, which ultimately went to Cecile de France, but they liked her enough to give her the small role. She did say she had loads of fun hanging with both Steve Coogan and Jackie Chan on set in Germany. 

At the 5:29 mark, we talk about the film. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

I found this a fun film with decent action but damn 20 years

• Like 3

starschwar

I didn't care for it that much at the time, but I haven't seen it since then.  I mostly just remember the cameos - Arnold, Wilson, Sammo. My brain tends to lump it in alongside the likes of The Medallion and The Tuxedo.  It's probably a lot better than those two, but at the time I felt the quality of his (English language) films were declining rapidly.

CaldoTheKid

I haven't seen it for many years but really enjoyed it as a child.

Killer Meteor

I seem to recall that up until the last 5 minutes, I looked like Jackie was going to get the girl....then she goes with the white guy whose been a jerk to her all through the movie!

PandaPawPaw

All I remember is Arnies Andre the Giant looking hair.

MzS9.gif

:P

AlbertV

My favorite fight scene of the film: Daniel Wu as Bak Mei along with the Black Scorpions vs. Jackie Chan as Lau Xing/Passpartout, Sammo Hung as Wong Fei-Hung, and the other Ten Tigers

• Like 2

Koravec

Had a great time seeing this in theaters too.  Grabbed the clamshell Vhs recently, rewatched a fee years ago and already forgot most of it again.. lol

• Like 1