Rob N Roll (2024) - Aaron Kwok, Gordon Lam, Richie Jen

laagi

Despite it's stellar cast this action comedy turned out pretty mediocre IMHO. This is largely due to the fact that neither one of these elements are executed particularly well.

The action of what little there is (basically just two scenes), is pretty decent. The comedy well I don't know maybe just not to my taste aside of a few smiles 'Rob N Roll' didn't manage to coax anything else out of me. I'm aware this is supposedly a dark comedy (whatever that means) but it just didn't work for me.

Also the added melodrama seems totally out of place. As for the performances if it wasn't already a dead give-away this is the Aaron Kwok show, don't ask me about the buckteeth I have no idea. I guess because it looks funny and adds to the wackiness of the character.

Gordon Lam and Richie Jen are OK although most of their shared screen time seems to be limited to bickering with one another which does getting increasingly tiring. There's some supporting characters but I don't feel these are really worth getting into. At times the movie feels overcrowded.

Even with it's rather "normal" runtime of 97 minutes the movie feels too long because of the aforementioned drawbacks. There was one scene that I've truly enjoyed and just so happens to be one supported by song. That was great! The rest not so much.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
3 hours ago, laagi said:

Despite it's stellar cast this action comedy turned out pretty mediocre IMHO. This is largely due to the fact that neither one of these elements are executed particularly well.

The action of what little there is (basically just two scenes), is pretty decent. The comedy well I don't know maybe just not to my taste aside of a few smiles 'Rob N Roll' didn't manage to coax anything else out of me. I'm aware this is supposedly a dark comedy (whatever that means) but it just didn't work for me.

Also the added melodrama seems totally out of place. As for the performances if it wasn't already a dead give-away this is the Aaron Kwok show, don't ask me about the buckteeth I have no idea. I guess because it looks funny and adds to the wackiness of the character.

Gordon Lam and Richie Jen are OK although most of their shared screen time seems to be limited to bickering with one another which does getting increasingly tiring. There's some supporting characters but I don't feel these are really worth getting into. At times the movie feels overcrowded.

Even with it's rather "normal" runtime of 97 minutes the movie feels too long because of the aforementioned drawbacks. There was one scene that I've truly enjoyed and just so happens to be one supported by song. That was great! The rest not so much.

This is on my to watch list. It looks like silly fun though I'm not a fan of Richie Jen/Ren in comedic roles. He's a bit iffy and over does it.

I haven't heard Michael Wong murdering Cantonese in a while so that should be fun.

@laagi Are the backgrounds in the car scenes real or projected/CGI? It looks a bit odd from the trailer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I haven't heard Michael Wong murdering Cantonese in a while so that should be fun.

@laagi Are the backgrounds in the car scenes real or projected/CGI? It looks a bit odd from the trailer.

Wong only has a bit part but he's okay I guess. Gotten old, damn!

As for the car rides, definitely projected at times unfortunately.

• Like 1

tinlunlau

Haven't seen this since it came out to theatres way back in February and just having lunch right now before I head out to the post office to pick up my copy of Rob n Roll on Blu-ray.

• Like 1