Caine (2025) Donnie Yen John Wick Spinoff

AlbertV
Posted (edited)

https://www.darkhorizons.com/john-wick-caine-spin-off-sets-2025-start/

Donnie Yen is returning as Caine,  the blind assassin of John Wick: Chapter 4 in a new film that will be set after the events of JW4. Robert Askins is penning the script with filming to begin next year in Hong Kong. 

Chad Stahelski, Basil Iwanyk, and Erica Lee are producing

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

BrunoFirm

Another Donnie yen project, come on, he's got Flashpoint, IP man 5 and Kung Fu. I feel excited, but I'm afraid some won't come out, Sorry, I'm using the translator 🇧🇷

Super Ninja

Glad this is happening, Caine was one of the highlights of JW4. I'm more excited about Caine than Ballerina. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrunoFirm said:

Another Donnie yen project, come on, he's got Flashpoint, IP man 5 and Kung Fu. I feel excited, but I'm afraid some won't come out, Sorry, I'm using the translator 🇧🇷

Flash Point 2 is his next movie. Shooting commences once Donnie has finished post-production on The ProsecutorIp Man 5 is currently in pre-production.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I prefer the Caine spin-off (any contemporary action movie for that matter) any day over the Kung Fu reboot and Ip Man 5.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

Josh Baker

considering this is a Hollywood project it will probably take priority over Ip Man 5. Donnie will be a busy man for the next year either way.

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
12 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

considering this is a Hollywood project it will probably take priority over Ip Man 5. Donnie will be a busy man for the next year either way.

Ip Man 5!? Geez how many are they going to make.

• Like 2

Josh Baker
22 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Ip Man 5!? Geez how many are they going to make.

Personally I hope they dont make Ip Man 5. What else is there to do with this version? 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

Personally I hope they dont make Ip Man 5. What else is there to do with this version? 

Most logic story at this point is a prequel to the original. But then there's The Legend is Born: Ip Man so Donnie and team need to show more distinct portions of Yip Man's back story that wasn't shown in the aforementioned movie.

I hope they ditch it altogether too, and just go ahead with a contemporary action movie instead.

Edited by DiP

Josh Baker
10 hours ago, DiP said:

Most logic story at this point is a prequel to the original. But then there's The Legend is Born: Ip Man so Donnie and team need to show more distinct portions of Yip Man's back story that wasn't shown in the aforementioned movie.

I hope they ditch it altogether too, and just go ahead with a contemporary action movie instead.

So you think it will be a bit like Godfather Part II and be half prequel/half sequel?

2 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

So you think it will be a bit like Godfather Part II and be half prequel/half sequel?

I don't wanna assume too much. But the approach could be useful. Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
16 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Except instead of having 2 separate actors playing Caine, it'll be Yen in present day, and 90's era soft focus lensed Yen in the past. :tongueout

DrNgor

Can you make a movie set minutes after the post-credits scene from John Wick 4, with the occasional flashback to footage from Ballistic Kiss?

Agent U

I was starting to wonder whether Donnie Yen was going to make a career out of playing zombies now.

Not only does IP Man 4

Spoiler

end with the eponymous character definitely dead

but

Spoiler

I seemed to remember Caine also dying at the end of JW4, until I recalled we don't actually see it on screen, I just read that was actually what had originally been scripted and filmed: https://collider.com/john-wick-chapter-4-original-end-credit-scene-explained-chad-stahelski/

Anyway, JW4 is a bit of a blur now to the point I don't remember how I felt about Caine anymore. But considering I still recall finding both Tracker and the Marquis pointless and boring, I'm sure he is at least better than them.

I still find it hilarious that a blind man's name is Caine (Yes I'm aware it's not Cane). Thank you I'm not ashamed to laugh at people with disabilities.

f2baaf7e-63df-418b-8681-6fc4a3b9b819_tex

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Agent U said:

I was starting to wonder whether Donnie Yen was going to make a career out of playing zombies now.

Not only does IP Man 4

Reveal hidden contents

end with the eponymous character definitely dead

but

Reveal hidden contents

I seemed to remember Caine also dying at the end of JW4, until I recalled we don't actually see it on screen, I just read that was actually what had originally been scripted and filmed: https://collider.com/john-wick-chapter-4-original-end-credit-scene-explained-chad-stahelski/

Anyway, JW4 is a bit of a blur now to the point I don't remember how I felt about Caine anymore. But considering I still recall finding both Tracker and the Marquis pointless and boring, I'm sure he is at least better than them.

Ip Man 5 is still in development so it's easy to assume anything. Some logic theories of the upcoming story could be...

T1: It's a prequel to the original showing portions of Yip Man's backstory that hasn't been highlighted before (including the separate Ipverse movie The Legend is Born: Ip Man).

T2: The story is set either between the original and part 2, between part 2 and part 3, or between part 3 and part 4. Anything before each installment would be most sensical.

As for Caine's fate in JW4, it was never shown and implied whether he died or survived. So with this upcoming spin-off being announced, we can safely imagine that he survives.

Edited by DiP

8 hours ago, DiP said:

As for Caine's fate in JW4, it was never shown and implied whether he died or survived. So with this upcoming spin-off being announced, we can safely imagine that he survives.

I think at this point the only thing "safe" to assume is that movie logic doesn't care AT ALL when it comes to the big green thingy. I'm sure John Wick himself is just taking an extended nap somewhere for the time being.

37 minutes ago, laagi said:

I think at this point the only thing "safe" to assume is that movie logic doesn't care AT ALL when it comes to the big green thingy. I'm sure John Wick himself is just taking an extended nap somewhere for the time being.

In the case of John Wick, things are possible when it's unclear (the original ending makes it very clear though: https://variety.com/2023/film/news/john-wick-4-keanu-reeves-alive-test-screening-disliked-1235663107/). In the case of Caine, it's even more so when things are only half-shown. So movie logic does care when it needs to.

Agent U

Wasn't the 'Caine' name one of the many things that changed once Yen started to take issue with everything about the character finding it stereotypical and so on?

Anyway, based on that article their shortening the post-credits scene was merely a stylistic choice, not even a conscious decision to keep the character alive. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Regarding Wick's own ending, I find it funny they call the ending where we see the man die and then his grave the 'ambiguous ending'.

Anyway, I'm guessing that ship has now sailed. JW4 was shot in 2021 and Keanu Reeves was not exactly looking up to par in most action scenes, so another movie shot in 2025 or 2026 at the earliest...

Drunken Monk

It would be dope if the Caine series opened up with a fight between Donnie Yen and Rina Sawayama. A direct continuation of John Wick 4.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Agent U said:

Wasn't the 'Caine' name one of the many things that changed once Yen started to take issue with everything about the character finding it stereotypical and so on?

Anyway, based on that article their shortening the post-credits scene was merely a stylistic choice, not even a conscious decision to keep the character alive. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Indeed the Caine role went through changes before AND after Donnie came onboard and brought ideas to Chad on further changes to the role. Honestly, I think it was a wise decision to have the role free from most stereotypes as it left a huge impression on the audiences. It's not every day you get to see a blind assassin dressed up in suit (inspired by the black-and-white Bruce Lee interview) and with a catchy nickname doing slick ass-kicking in movies. Those details along with Donnie's overall performance speaks for itself making the character memorable.

Many movies go through test screenings as part of a research to get feedback from test audiences in order to make changes before releasing them. So movies always get altered more or less. That article states that the test audience didn't like the original ending of John Wick's fate being clear, and preferred having it open for interpretation. So imagine how reactions were when they saw the original post credit-scene of Caine's fate... Audiences wanted more of the character, therefore last-minute changes were done. And now this spin-off happens. That's how commercial film-making works.

Edited by DiP

BrunoFirm

It looks like Donnie met up with Chad and David Leitch recently. Which project will he film first, Caine or Flashpoint?

VideoCapture_20240818-091453.jpg

VideoCapture_20240818-091503.jpg

• Like 1