14 Amazons-at Fantasia Festival-NEW PRINT

Guest fusheng007

Guest fusheng007

Reminder, 14 Amazons will be screened at Fantasia Film Festival in Montreal

Sunday July 22 at 1:40pm(1 showing only)

NEW PRINT, 35mm SHAWSCOPE, RESTORED VERSION, In ORIGINAL MANDARIN with ENGLISH SUBS.

This is currently the only screening of 14 Amazons besides Cannes and HK in 25 years.(there are no other scheduled screenings in North America for the time being)

The film will be preceded by tribute to Run Run Shaw(100th b-day montage used at HK FILM AWARDS), a surprise vintage Shaw trailer(not available on DVD)

and 14 Amazons.

www.fantasiafestival.com/...php?id=217

divertissement.sympatico....=14Amazons

(new trailer used in France)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the IVL version is cut quite a bit. The French theater release of the remastered version was uncut, but the French DVD release was also reportedly the cut version. It seems the prints Celestial have sent out for theater screenings have been fine. I would venture to guess this was the uncut version.

Guest killer meteor

I hope Media Blasters or somebody has an English subtitled release of the uncut version planned

Guest chen lung
The French theater release of the remastered version was uncut, but the French DVD release was also reportedly the cut version.

How very odd:\ ! Apparantly there was new dubbing and stuff too!

I remember someone mentioned the subtitles for this film: Theatrical's "Sweep away the treacherous footprints" vs IVL's "Sweep the ground".

I wonder if these 'uncut' ones don't snip bits out or excel in framecuts (stuff that Spannick has mentioned).

Wasn't 'Heroes Two's 3 Styles in some theatrical showings too? It does have an English dub (how about Mandarin?), but was this the only film it sometimes (or always used to) played alongside?

Do you know why this insanity happens0] ?

was an accident made in the remastering process. The short film was attached to the film and a tech thought it was a trailer or something and snipped it off. The remastered theater prints are not the same as the dvds, as they were made separately from what I understand. This is why 14 amazons was uncut in the theaters, but not on disc.

Guest chen lung

what I don't understand is why the DVD had to be edited, or even different from the theatrical prints. I know you say they were seperate, but the restoration would have to have been the same.

It had to be two seperate restorations then. It's all very odd.

I know about that clown who snipped 'Heroes Two' ;) .

Can someone confirm the audio status on this theatrical broadcast for '14 Amazons'?

it was found out that 14 Amazons was cut after the dvd was released. When it was shown in France, they had found out about the cuts and did a new print. As to why the French DVD version was also cut, I don't know. That said, the film and dvd restorations have been seperate events.

it was found out that 14 Amazons was cut after the dvd was released. When it was shown in France, they had found out about the cuts and did a new print. As to why the French DVD version was also cut, I don't know. That said, the film and dvd restorations have been seperate events from what I've heard.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Some company should release the uncut version. I am still mad at Celestial for trimming the fighting practice scene between Ivy Ling Po and Lily Ho when she was testing out her son's ability.

Guest HAZ74

Well, I just got back from the Fantasia screening of 14 Amazons. This was a wicked movie experience! There was a good turn out. It was a big venue, but there was a big, vocal crowd (and not vocal as in whispering during the movie, but in applause!). The screening was preceded by a short video tribute to Run Run Shaw & the original trailer for "Shaolin Rescuers". That looks like one hell of a great film. The trailer wasn't restored, but still looked pretty good. It was cool to see both the tribute & the trailer; we were told that the original trailer to Shaolin Rescuers isn't on DVD. Anyhow, this was a welcome extra & I'm now curious to check the movie out!

A fellow who posts here under the moniker Fusheng007 gave a brief presentation before the movie, telling us about 14 Amazons & the filming of the movie. This was cool, too. I wouldn't have known the details that he shared with the audience, like how the human bridge sequence took 2 months to film. These are fun details that helped make the experience more enjoyable. As for the movie, it was excellent. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from 14 Amazons. I wasn't concerned about the headliners being women, but I wasn't really familiar with the cast, except for Ivy Ling Po. I also (mistakingly) thought that it would be a slow moving actioner.

Except for the beginning which sets up the story, the film pretty much speeds along: family members get killed, patriots go to war, hot women kill evil invaders. I was hella impressed by that human bridge sequence. Aside from that, the choreography won't leave you dizzy, but it was good enough, and the story is set up well. Its a revenge flick & the baddies are bad and its satisfying to watch them get beat down. There are alot of cast members that I couldn't name but that I recognized. Its a BIG cast. They could have called it 1400 Amazons & that would have made more sense. All the women are totally hot, though, and Lo Lieh is at his malevolant best. You even get some Bolo Yeung playing a crazy gladiator & who doesn't love him? The print is uncut, but I couldn't tell you what was missing, having not seen the dvd. I also want to add the subtitles for this movie were great, free of all the spelling errors & weird turns of phrase that are so common on Celestial DVD's. Cudos Celestial!

All in all, this was a great way to spend a sunday afternoon. Afterwards, I treated myself to some Chinese Hot Pot in chinatown. And that was good, too. Gracias to Mr Funsheng007 for bringing this movie to Montreal. Can't wait for next year!

h

Guest fusheng007

It was great that the crowd enjoyed the film and cheering during many scenes especially the Human bridge scene. The print looked gorgeous, another reason why we should go watch them on the big screen whenever they appear in your city.

Guest HAZ74
The print looked gorgeous, another reason why we should go watch them on the big screen whenever they appear in your city

Very true. Seeing these movies on the big screen is amazing. Half the time, I'm watching this stuff on my laptop. The theater experience is totally different. I wish we had a Kung Fu Fridays like they had in Toronto. I'd love to catch more Shaw's in the theater.

Archived