Venoms Choreography - Masked avengersand others

Guest rindge

Guest rindge

I just finished watching Masked Avengers. I have to admit I am not the biggest venoms fan. I enjoyed The five venoms for nostalgia's sake but have not purchased the dvd release. Crippled avengers is probably my favorite venom film. Not being the biggest fan, I picked up Masked Avengers because I do not ever recall seeing it. While the movie was just okay - another loose chang cheh plot, I must say the movie did remind me of how phenomenal the fight choreography is for the venoms.

They truly portray kung-fu as we would ideally like it to be. I don't know how they put together their fight scenes, but creative genius is probably not a stretch. The fight scenes in this films were excellent as it is in most of their films. I am a huge Liu chia Liang fan, but the venoms definitely give him a run for the money in choreography, they might actually outshine him. Martial Club and 8 Diagram are by far some of his better choreographed films, but the venoms films are always so creative with their fight scenes. Liang outshone their films with plots and acting, but Masked avengers really brought it home for me as to how tight these guys were in terms of putting together fight scenes.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BKarza

No one had a featured crew like they had. They could have anywhere from one to 4 fights going on at the same time. They reached another level around 80-81, when Chu Ko officially became part of the chor. crew. They were friggin' artists man. I rewind so much during MA it's absolutely ridiculous. That's what it's all about. Making your stuff so dope that folks keep rewinding.

Guest Chen Zhen

i like the intricacy of the exchanges and of the weapons, but my only beef with venoms choreography is that sometimes, things seem too "circus-like" or rather, "opera-like". especially during those long long long takes they do. sometims i find the intensity of said fights is inconsistent.

from a technical aspect, i wish they wouldve taken more advantage of the camera, but thats just me nitpicking. these guys were great with the fights.

Guest Iron Boat

The Venoms can fight for 30 minutes and no one would have actually hit the other person.....But overall, yeah I do enjoy watching the acrobatics.

Guest Chinatown Kid

The three opera trained members, Kuo, Lu and Chiang, are incredible acrobats and athletes and they mesh incredibly well in their fight sequences together as they know each others timing and blend in perfectly together, just like Jackie, Sammo and Yuen do in their fight choreography being opera trained. Lo Mang's style of fighting looked incredibly powerful and badass on screen and Sun Chien had nice form and strong looking kicks, both complimented and brought something different to the other 3 Venom's styles and they made a good team. I'm afraid this remake in the works of 5 Venoms just doesn't have a skilled enough cast(excluding Wu Jing of course) to pull it off and be in the same league as the original and more than likely will rely heavily on CGI. They don't make'um like they used to! :\

Guest stormybman

I had stated in earlier thread that after watching my new copy of MA, how fascinated I was with the long takes and timing, not to mention acuracy... There will never be a more well meshed group of screen fighters! Any future acts must certainly be measured by the success of these men. When you see them in one of their long takes, simply count the moves, the strikes, defensive parries, acrobatics, all while staying in character and never moving out of camera. AWESOME!!! We got to talk more about these men's place in history with the creativity they brought to light! :eek

" So why did you kill my teacher?! Why did you kill my teacher?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!..."

Archived