Opium and the Kung Fu Master....

Guest WHITETIGERNY

Guest sevenhooks
Latter one has sadly NO original trailer and surprisingly also no new trailer (which doesn't bother me much though).

Yeah, I thought that was strange too.

Could care less about the new trailers though.

Would be nice to see as many OG Shaw trailers as possible on one compilation disc ... which I'm sure has already been done by at least one quick thinking fan.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched Opium and I think its very good. The acting was superb and the fights were well done. When Ti Lung busted into the warehouse and did that flip kick I was thinking Street Fighter the video game lol. It felt like the movie just flew by (time flies when you are having fun) and I enjoyed it much. 9/10

Guest Isfahani

Not bad for end-of-the-line SB. It was nice to see Ti Lung facing off with Chen Kuan Tai, but for once, finally, I could have done with far less 'dumbass student' mischief episodes.

Also, for quite a while now these SB releases are looking less and less hi-fi, I was noticing some really bad artifacting or whatever you call it in the TL-CKT fight especially during the darker-background scenes... and it's all over Sing Jai's "Out of the Dark". Looking like a high Q VCD in places.

Depressing, but I have to balance it out with being able to see this and many other films in decent quality/original language + subs and correct aspect ratio.

Was Opium a continuation / spin-off of The 10 Tigers of Kwangtung? I can't remember Ti Lung's name in 10 Tigers. In Opium he was a member of the Kwangtung Tigers. Ummmmmmmm

Guest sevenhooks

Ti Lung played the same character in both films... the leader of the 10 Tigers.

That's pretty much the only connection between the films as far as I can tell.

Guest CLFNole

Actually its not the same character. In opium he plays Tit Kiu Sam or Iron Bridge Three. This character was in Ten Tigers but it was the character that Ti Lung fought with, the guy with the grey hair who was very strong. The name used in the movie was Tieh Chow San, which is the mandarin pronunciation of Tit Kiu Sam.

Tit Kiu Sam was a famous old style hung gar sifu who is created for bringing the Iron Wire (Tit Sien Kuen) set into the system.

Guest sevenhooks

Interesting. I figured it was the same character / "leader of the Tigers" as that's the way they seemed to sell it on the original trailer.

Guest sevenhooks
This character was in Ten Tigers but it was the character that Ti Lung fought with, the guy with the grey hair who was very strong.

You talking about the guy that played "Brass Head" in Kid With The Golden Arm?

Guest sikmao

yep! "brass head"! that's Yang Hsiung/Yang Shun who plays Tit Kiu Sam, in 10 Tigers, & the guy that gets a taste of Sun Chien's "iron foot", in "Crippled Avengers"! :)

Guest CLFNole

There has always been an arguement as to who was the No. 1 of the 10 Tigers, which is likely due to one style trying to say its better than another.

Tit Kiu Sam (Hung Gar) was said to have been the #1 because he was the oldest. It had nothing to do with his ability.

Others say Wong Lan Yum (Hop Gar) was the #1 as he set up a stage in Kwantung and took on all challengers and never lost.

In fact I have never seen the name of the character than Ti Lung played as being one of the 10 Tigers. The list I have seen differs slightly from the movie and could be due to different name translations.

Anyhow the 10 Tigers never got together and righted the wrongs of society, they were just well known sifus in Kwantung. They didn't have get together meetings and such like the movie would have you believe.

Guest teako170

Thank you for that articulate and poignant critique! 8o

Btw Kara, what is the name of this grad school you attend? ;)

Kara picks her nose and wipes, yikes! Is that a picture of your baby? I hear that they eventually lose that body hair. :P

Guest peringaten
Yes. and sucked
Ok then... disregarding the whole 'porangutan'/booger/hat episode...

Why did you suck when you saw this movie? What was wrong with it?

Guest HAZ74

Yeah, the first 15 minutes was cool, & the rest was ehh, except for the fights.

Kara is my new favorite poster.

Guest peringaten
Kara is my new favorite poster.
Well, if you like meaningless negative cursory summations of a flick...
the rest was ehh
Never mind...

Only joking :P - this thread's funny. I actually kind of prefer porangutan to my current moniker. Oh yeah, and Haz - watch Holy Flame already!

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Finally saw this one and thought it was top notch. Its been a while since Ive watched a good Kung Fu film that had a story with meaning. A rare Fu film with heart. Great fights, good acting, good story.... a good MOVIE.

Guest teako170

{spoiler}

I felt it started out a bit slow, then came a lion dance and I'm thinking this is going nowhere but then... when that family commits suicide, the story dramatically picked up! Good film. I have two questions about the movie though.

(1) Why, when you smoke opium, must you always lie down?

(2) Why, when you have great fighters like CKT & Ti Lung, must the director use such a cheesy device like undercranking??

Archived