Opium and the Kung Fu Master....

Guest WHITETIGERNY

Guest WHITETIGERNY

Kudos to Celestial for a job well done.

Finally a clean print to watch.

Never saw the camcorder copy, if there was one, but this beats the Korean pre-record hands over.:smokin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

Good news re: the trailer.

Seems that makes 2 of the new releases that have em (someone here said Brothers 5 has one too I believe).

If anyone here can report back on the other new titles:

Black Lizard, Full Moon Scimitar, 5 Superfighters, etc., and let us know if the original trailers are included on those as well, we'd all be grateful!

Guest CLFNole

I have always been curious about the facination with the trailers. What's up with that? Just like from a "purist" angle same with everyone who has the hangups with the soundtracks.

Guest sevenhooks

Yeah, screw the soundtracks.

While we're at it, let's just CG-in some young new stars onto the faces of all those old Shaw stars.

Let's face it, these films need to be brougt up-to-date as much as possible.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Sad to report that there are no original trailers for Black Lizard & Full Moon Scimitar.

Just sat through Black Lizard and found it an overkill of suspense. Plot was full of the usual twists and turns and somehow it was a case of "haven't we seen this before countless times?" syndrome.

Pan Ping-chang was not big enough a star to be the heroine and she did not change clothes the whole movie!

Guest CLFNole

Personally I care most about the quality of the video compared to the sound. Sound is important but I have always been more concerned with the quality of the kung fu and the overall story. The acting is generally overdone to begin with. I just wish more had cantonese audio as I can follow it a lot better than mandarin.

But still what's with the trailers that everyone wants the movie to have the original trailer? Just curious.

By the way no CG for me.

Guest sevenhooks
But still what's with the trailers that everyone wants the movie to have the original trailer? Just curious.

A lot of us saw these films in the theaters and remember the trailers fondly.

It's also interesting to see how Shaws tried to sell a specific movie to audiences upon it's initial release.

So yeah, part of it is nostalgic, part of it you can put into historic context (the marketing), and also they're just cool!

I really don't think its that hard to fathom why people like the old trailers.

Guest CLFNole

Nothing fathom, but when you have the movie restored in such a good quality compared to the crappy bootlegs that were around for years I just wondered what the big deal behind the trailers was.

If you like them great, no offense was meant so there is no need for the sarcasim.

Guest PaulyOne

I agree, its interesting to see how these films were marketed, and, in some cases, there are scenes in the trailers that are cut out in the original film or shortened, which is very cool to see.

Ivy Ling Po,

Thanks for the update on the other trailers.

CLFNole,

I'll summarize my thoughts, in no particular order, on the Shaw Brothers trailers below:

1. In some instances they include scenes not found in the final cut of the movie.

2. As sevenhooks wrote about in an earlier post, they have excellent nostalgic value but more than that it's a piece of Shaw Brothers history that, speaking for myself only, I've only been able to experience with these releases.

3. When I watch these trailers I can only imagine what it must have been like to watch these films for the first time in an actual theater and using the trailers as a tool to decide whether or not to see an upcoming film at the theater.

4. It's a little disappointing to think of the original trailers we've missed out on seeing. Examples, the Brave Archer trailers, Chinatown Kid trailer. Maybe one day those will see the light of day.

5. As sevenhooks said, they are just cool. Nothing like a set of old, grainy trailers to set the mood for a good movie.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

I am one of those who love the original trailers as that's how I anticipated the new releases in the cinemas back then. The folks back then went early to catch the trailers.

The new Celestial trailers are worthless in my books.

Guest fusheng007

The original trailers do set the mood and the nostagic tone. The New Trailers don't do justice to old films. New One Armed Swordsman new trailer is utterly horrible. The original trailer(available on the French DVD) is excellent and the new French trailer is an improvemnt over the Celestial 1min preview.

Does Disciples of Shaolin have original trailer??

Excellent. Thanks for the word on that one.

Think I'll need to make a new trailer DVD.

That leaves 5 Superfighters. Anyone know?

Guest CLFNole

I never knew the trailers had scenes the actual movie didn't. I have always been more interested in the quality of the video to replace the grainy bootleg copies I had for years.

Can anyone give examples of trailers containing scenes that were not in the actual film?

Guest fusheng007

Godfather from Canton contains a scene cut from DVD but was in actual theatrical film. It's nudity scene.

In Mighty Pekin Man, Evelyn Kraft's breast can be seen on the trailer whereas in the actual film, we see above her breasts.

Guest sevenhooks

Even better than I remember.

Great, fun flick.

And truly one of the last great kung fu movies from Shaws along with 8 Diagram Pole Fighter and perhaps a scant few others.

It's stuff like this that make me further lament the premature closure of the studio when there was obviously still so much talent and vibrancy left there.

:\

Guest Man from WAZ

Just got "Opium" and "Superfighters". Latter one has sadly NO original trailer and surprisingly also no new trailer (which doesn't bother me much though).

Archived