Black Samurai (2025) - The Story of Yasuke to Come to Life

AlbertV

Not to be confused with the other Black Samurai post based on the Marc Olden novel, The Color Purple director Blitz Bazawule has written a spec about the story of Yasuke, the African warrior who became the first Black samurai and served under Japanese daimyo Oda Nobunaga during the Sengoku period of samurai conflict in 16th century Japan. He will be producing and directing the film.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/warner-bros-black-samurai-yasuke-movie-blitz-bazawule-1235965842/

• Like 2

Yihetuan

I would've been much more interested if someone made a film adaptation of Kazuo Koike's Color of Rage. Imagine a Defiant Ones set in Edo era feudal Japan?

Drunken Monk

I wonder if this is going to lean on the dramatic and true-to-life elements like The Last Samurai or whether it's going to be a straight up martial arts film and take liberties. The former, I imagine. 

AlbertV
43 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I wonder if this is going to lean on the dramatic and true-to-life elements like The Last Samurai or whether it's going to be a straight up martial arts film and take liberties. The former, I imagine. 

from the article:
"Instead of a traditional biopic, the film invokes shades of “300” and “Max Max.” Exact plot points are still under wraps."

DarthKato

Well, he was pretty cool in Nioh. So, this might be alright. Been a while since I've seen a good samurai film.