Rank the Venoms and their styles from 5 Deadly Venoms

Guest falkor

NoKUNGFUforYU

I have probably said this before, but the Venoms stardom correlated with me losing interest in Hong Kong movies. Too swishy, flippy and skippy, as well as the sill outfits with tons of cleavage. And I hated 5 venoms. But it's funny, how much people love that movie. When they started walking on walls, I was done. Oh well. That probably puts me at odds with 98% of the people on the forum. Sorry.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cold Bishop

Well, I'd argue it's the very acrobatic flamboyance which separated the Venoms from what anyone else was doing. It's a fusion of shapes, opera and wuxia aesthetics, which I feel people sell short when they describe it as Chang Cheh "dumbed down" period. If the main attraction of martial-arts cinema (and action cinema in general) is watching human bodies doing daring and improbable things, I really don't see how someone could totally hate the Venoms. You might not like them all, but there's certainly has to be a few films there that would win you over.

Despite providing their namesake, I always though Five Venoms was somewhat toned-down in regards to Venom Mob action: few fights, less acrobatics, more special effects.

Anyways, the best Venoms were Lizard and Hybrid, because... you know... they won.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I liked Invincible Shaolin, and Super Ninjas, but I never "got" Kuo Chui's appeal. I wasn't a big fan of Gordon Lau either, though. Venoms were pretty good as villains in the background. Oh, sorry, I remembered! I really like/liked Crippled Avengers. It had Chen Kuan Tai in it, so that helped.

Now I used to go to the Great Star at least twice a month for 3 or 4 years in the 70's, so I was a big Shaw fan.Just liked Fu Sheng, Ti Lung and Chen Kuan Tai more than most of the others.

Cold Bishop

Oh man, Philip Kwok is great! It's a shame the man got chained to Chang Cheh, because I honestly think if he had a chance to branch out with other directors sooner, he could have been a genuine star. People get caught up in his physicality and acrobatic skill they overlook how incredibly versatile he was regardless of the type of character he was playing. The scene in Five Venoms when he discovers Lo Meng's death is a great piece of ACTING, just fantastically understated when many actors would have gone for histrionics.

If you want a second opinion, just look at some of his post-Shaw character actor roles. Everyone talks about Mad Dog, but the movie that actually made me stand up and realize he was actually a great actor was his momma's boy in The Big Heat. Just instantly likeable low-key screen charisma.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

The question arises: "Do these kung fu styles exist in the real world?"

Kung Fu Magazine and Black Belt Magazine declare there are 300 to 400 known styles of Chinese kung fu.

So these styles from the 5 Deadly Venom's may well have existed or existed in the past.

five-deadly-venoms-big.jpg

Gd Y-Y

I sort of have mixed feelings about the Venoms movies. I do feel that in some of his earlier work, like with Vengeance, Blood Brothers, Boxer from Shantung, The Duel and others, Chang Cheh was really doing some quality, groundbreaking filmmaking that was fairly unique, and influential worldwide.

As the decade wore on, though, his budgets got smaller, and I think his ambition got smaller as well. It seems like with the Venoms, he just wanted to make simple, exciting, colorful Chinese comic book movies, and that's what he did. I really enjoy the Venom movies on that level, although I do think they're a step down from his work of the late 60's and early 70's.

Never ranked nine and I just watched the Blu-Ray a couple of days ago.

1. Centipede

2. Snake

3. Gecko

4. Toad

5. Scorpion

I sort of have mixed feelings about the Venoms movies. I do feel that in some of his earlier work, like with Vengeance, Blood Brothers, Boxer from Shantung, The Duel and others, Chang Cheh was really doing some quality, groundbreaking filmmaking that was fairly unique, and influential worldwide.

As the decade wore on, though, his budgets got smaller, and I think his ambition got smaller as well. It seems like with the Venoms, he just wanted to make simple, exciting, colorful Chinese comic book movies, and that's what he did. I really enjoy the Venom movies on that level, although I do think they're a step down from his work of the late 60's and early 70's.

I am a HUGE Venoms fan but I do see your point. His earlier work seemed more EPIC. Academy Award stuff while Venoms era was more like Summer Action films. More attention to visual presentation than substance.

His earlier work seemed more EPIC. Academy Award stuff while Venoms era was more like Summer Action films.

Yep, that's a good way to describe it. And sometimes I DO just want to watch a summer action movie. :bigsmile:

The question arises: "Do these kung fu styles exist in the real world?"

Apparently not...

?v=fzVtvrmbVNY#t=31

Well, I'd argue it's the very acrobatic flamboyance which separated the Venoms from what anyone else was doing. It's a fusion of shapes, opera and wuxia aesthetics, which I feel people sell short when they describe it as Chang Cheh "dumbed down" period.

Well said.

I am a HUGE Venoms fan but I do see your point. His earlier work seemed more EPIC. Academy Award stuff while Venoms era was more like Summer Action films. More attention to visual presentation than substance.

That sums it for me as well. They both have the strong suits. Just depends on what you're in the mood for.

NoKUNGFUforYU

As far as styles go, I wouldn't exactly think of Shaw brothers flicks as generally accurate descriptions of any styles but Hung Gar, Wing Chun and Choy Lay Fut. After all, all the so called Wu Tang guys seem like they are doing the opposing half of a two man hung gar set in most Shaw brother movies. Wu Tang is supposed to be Ba Ji, Tai Chi, Hsing Yi and Pa Kua, but how many of those styles did you see represented in the movies? For example Pai Mei/ Lo Lieh pretty much just gets out of the way, very stiffly, by the way. He never does the actual style, which would seem to be pretty popular and easy to imitate.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Apparently not...

?v=fzVtvrmbVNY#t=31

Well said.

That sums it for me as well. They both have the strong suits. Just depends on what you're in the mood for.

Although I thought of this after my post yesterday.

Snake Style for sure is a kung fu form from Shaolin.

From Wiki:

There are several Chinese martial arts known as Snake Boxing or Fanged Snake Style (Chinese: 蛇拳; pinyin: shéquán; literally: "snake fist") which imitate the movements of snakes. It is a style of Shaolin Boxing. Proponents claim that adopting the fluidity of snakes allows them to entwine with their opponents in defense and strike them from angles they wouldn't expect in offense. Snake style is said to especially lend itself to applications with the Chinese straight sword. The snake is also one of the animals imitated in Yang family Taijiquan (T'ai chi ch'uan), Baguazhang and Xingyiquan. The sinuous, fluid motion of the snake lends itself to the practical theory that underlies the "soft" martial arts.[1]

I forgot this pic:

m7v781t1yf2u3vlW_GDRFZw.jpg

Top5-SnakeStyleKungFuMovies-Post.jpg

DatMoSnake.jpg

Top5-SnakeStyleKungFuMovies-Post.jpg

snake.jpg

sonu.jpg

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Top5-SnakeStyleKungFuMovies.png

Honorable mentions.

Challenge of Death (1978)

Magnificent Butcher (1979)

Hitman in the Hand of Buddah (1981)

Monkey Fist, Floating Snake (1979)

Bruce Li in New Guinea (1978)

From this website:

Shaolin Chamber 36.

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/buddhist-blog/top-5-snake-style-kung-fu-movies/

Similar Posts:

Top 5 ‘Monkey Style’ Films

Top 5 ‘Angela Mao’ Films

Top 5 David Chiang Movies

Top 5 Carter Wong Movies

Top 5 Sammo Hung Films

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
As far as styles go, I wouldn't exactly think of Shaw brothers flicks as generally accurate descriptions of any styles but Hung Gar, Wing Chun and Choy Lay Fut. After all, all the so called Wu Tang guys seem like they are doing the opposing half of a two man hung gar set in most Shaw brother movies. Wu Tang is supposed to be Ba Ji, Tai Chi, Hsing Yi and Pa Kua, but how many of those styles did you see represented in the movies? For example Pai Mei/ Lo Lieh pretty much just gets out of the way, very stiffly, by the way. He never does the actual style, which would seem to be pretty popular and easy to imitate.

Very few if any at Shaw Brothers.

How about Hong Kong cinema and Taiwanese Cinema.

Taiwan would probably have more internal styles displayed in their movies.

GD Y-Y

Secret Executioner

As far as styles go, it's actually pretty close:

Snake (though it has nothing to do with the usual Snake fist) and Scorpion (man that kicking)

Toad (found the invicibility thing with one weak spot to be found pretty cool and one of the villains in Shaolin Martial Arts (Leung Kar Yan AKA John Liang) uses a similar style IIRC)

Centipede (great hand moves)

Gecko

Guess my fav' Venom overall must be The Snake. :tongue: Scorpion is interesting in that you don't know who he is until the very end of the film.

My ranking in order of character in the movie

Lizard

Scorpion

Centipede

Toad

Snake

Now if it were just style I'd have to go:

Toad

Centipede

Lizard

Scorpion

Snake

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Mine:

Centipede

Lizard

Toad

Snake

Scorpion

I know very little about martial arts, but as far as what looks dangerous to me:

Centipede - The speed and power behind those strikes.

Lizard - Agility.

Toad - Strength

Snake - the Snake's style looks really cool, I can actually see the animal in this style so I found that interesting but the character did not live up to his style.

Scorpion - Amazing kicks and such, but I wish he was more active in the film.

@Eastern Evil, I really liked your break down of each of the Venoms skills.

Eastern Evil
Mine:

Centipede

Lizard

Toad

Snake

Scorpion

I know very little about martial arts, but as far as what looks dangerous to me:

Centipede - The speed and power behind those strikes.

Lizard - Agility.

Toad - Strength

Snake - the Snake's style looks really cool, I can actually see the animal in this style so I found that interesting but the character did not live up to his style.

Scorpion - Amazing kicks and such, but I wish he was more active in the film.

@Eastern Evil, I really liked your break down of each of the Venoms skills.

Thank you very much, my lady!

I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote the lyrics for the venom songs is named Androo o Hearn & he was spot on!

I appreciate you liked that & welcome to the cinema! :smile2:

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
Thank you very much, my lady!

I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote the lyrics for the venom songs is named Androo o Hearn & he was spot on!

I appreciate you liked that & welcome to the cinema! :smile2:

Thank you for the information and welcome Sir. I will have to look up the musician you referenced.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

As the years go buy my "favorite" has changed. But for now, this is my list...

1. THE LIZARD- His abilities to run up walls, and I would imagine ceilings too, makes him exceptionally versatile. These skills would come in handy for stealth and assassination type attacks, allowing him to deliver ninja-like death blows to opponents that weren't even aware of his presence. And being able to attack from angles that most fighters have never trained to defend against would be of tremendous value in his style.

2. THE CENTIPEDE- Speed is one of the most important elements of martial arts in real combat, so he would be extremely effective with his style. If you can land an incapacitating series of strikes quickly, it saves you energy and risk of injury.

3. THE TOAD- Having iron skin and tremendous strength is a dangerous mix. If you only have two points to protect, and the ability to cripple with a single, well-placed strike, then the odds are in your favor.

4. THE SCORPION- Since our legs allow us the longest range strike, and his kicks have the power to pulverize bones, he's not to be trifled with. But as long as you stay outside of his range, or move in to grapple, he seems less effective. Sort of like with a real scorpion- stay far enough away that it can't sting you, or pick it up by it's tail.

5. THE SNAKE- His evasive moves (groundwork shown in his training) and Chi-na locks with his strong fingers look effective and painful. He's obviously a capable fighter with some deadly striking capabilities, but I just don't feel the danger from his skills the same way I do with the others.

Archived