Am I the Only One who Dont Like the Venoms

Guest Iron Boat

Guest morgoth

I agree, the story was as elementary as it gets, but the fights and training were awesome. I don't really ask for much more than that.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest venomchamber

lest we forget these other ofter neglected and unsung members of Chang Cheh's venoms troupe...

Yang Hsuing

Chien Hsiao-Hao

Cheng Tien-Chi

Lung Tien-Sheng

Yu Tai-Ping

Chu Ko

Chao Kuo

...as they've appeared alongside the venoms in more films than turncoat Wei Pai who ran off with John Woo over to Golden Harvest.

Guest Tosh

why did wei pai leave shaw bros?

I would guess he realized he was the 5th wheel(6th really) in the Venoms crew, no matter what Kuo Chui was the main man, and Lu Feng was the main villain, he usually only got bit roles backing up Sammo, and Jackie at GH, but he also got his couple staring roles over there. That and maybe money.

Guest VenomsFan

Not sure if everyone knows, but there is a Venoms Documentary I put together with more history on the team. Check it out online here.

Guest Soda drink

I dont know how anyone in this world can watch Lu feng in Magnificent Ruffians and not be blown away...that is probably the greatest display of martial arts weaponry skills ever.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Venoms films mostly because I just dislike most of Chang Cheh's flix! I don't like the whole machismo "I'm tough and I know!" thing. Another thing I'm not a fan of in his films is the excessive gore. I'm by no means squeamish, but it's not necessary.

Now Lau Kar Leung, that's the man :cool:

Precisely the reasons why I love CC flicks. The whole machismo "I'm tough and I know" thing... And the gore. As far as films are concerned, I am a very bloodthirsty person. :cool:

It's just like with italian gore and gialli. It would be very sad if all horror flicks looked like that - but it's great that films like these are on the menu.

I am simply grateful that Shaws gave us both CC AND Lau Kar Leung...:-)

Guest will91XingYu

I really love the venoms, but i see what you mean about the stories can be quite samey, and as well that Philip Kwok, Chiang Sheng and Lu Feng got nearlly all the action at times annoied me, but i love theyre films, the only venoms films i dislike are Life Gamble and Chinatown Kid, and even then Chinatown Kid is ok just nothing special imo.

Guest Iron_Jinon

you can say they are not great in acting department.none of them have screen energy like chen kuan tai,fu sheng or ti lung(he is not among my favs but controls every scene he appears in).but in fights they have no equals,and I like storyline of many venom movies.should I have been scripwriter I would have given more things to do for sun chien and thickheaded muscleman lo meng as they never make it to final fight(except in 2 champions of shaolin) which is one of best in venom films despite lack of kuo chui

Guest wuxiawuxia

I like Kuo Chui but dislike all the venoms "goofing off" themes

Masked Avenger, Kid with Golden Arm, Five Venoms, House of Traps, Flags of Iron were excellent

Guest Mr. Vampire

Lo Meng's Pects.

I never watched a Chang Cheh flick and thought to myself "gee, that's excessively gory" - I get what you mean about the machismo thing but it's so 'cartooney' that I can't really take it seriously enough so that it would bother me.

Much like gang-banger wannabe's in the suburbs of minneapolis. :D

Guest Endsang

Kinda dislike it when the opera trio goes into circus act mode, and do five flips each before throwing a punch or a kick. I enjoy them more when separated, or teamed with one of the fighters like Lo Meng or Sun Chien.

Typical example is Crippled Avengers. Lo Meng and Kuo Chui against everybody in the inn was great, Kuo Chui and Chiang Sheng versus Lu Feng at the end was too much acrobatics and too little fighting.

Guest venomsfreak
Kinda dislike it when the opera trio goes into circus act mode, and do five flips each before throwing a punch or a kick. I enjoy them more when separated, or teamed with one of the fighters like Lo Meng or Sun Chien.

Typical example is Crippled Avengers. Lo Meng and Kuo Chui against everybody in the inn was great, Kuo Chui and Chiang Sheng versus Lu Feng at the end was too much acrobatics and too little fighting.

Yea I know what you mean, that scene dragged on a little too long for me.

I think the venoms was never the same after Sun Chien and Lo Mang left. Some may have thought they didn't contribute enough with the other opera trained three, but I felt a huge void was left when SC and LM didn't appear in movies with them much or LM case no more after Rebel Intruders. Chang Cheh started incorporating other performers in the group, it still didn't bring back the shine they once had. I was particularly against Chin siu ho, I personally felt he did not fit in and had too much of a modern look to go with the period pieces the venoms film were always in...but he was somehow always pushed in the forefront of their later movies, which irked me and I just couldn't get into the movies. Sword Stained with Royal Blood could have been a favorite of mine, but Wen hseuh er's character was so beyone annoying, it ruined everything. Also I would have like for the fights to be more challenging as Kuo Chui's character just beat everyone within seconds without breaking a sweat; giving that we knew this fighters could have put up a much longer and better fight. But in all to me the venoms was at their best with Lo Meng and Sun Chien.

"I'll take a Venoms movie over anything GH could offer anyday" - Yeah I wrote that 5-6 years ago, at that time I didn't know The Sword was a GH movie, and the movie I watched last night makes me have to seriously eat my words here(BO:angel:). Not that I still don't love the Venoms style, but there are a couple of their movies that didn't do it for me, not that they were devoid of entertainment all together. Sometimes I have to come back, I didn't like SSwRB on the first viewing, loved it on the 2nd.

i love the venoms regardless- they play an ultra-tight gig, great chemistry. they have a nice, cartoonish comic-book-hero like charm, a unique combination of styles and qualities, they re childhood heroes and therefore pure cult material, plus they give it to us rugged, bloody and raw.

ingredients that make some CC/venom(ou)s movies lacking are (just from my pov of course)...

cheap, limited sets (comparatively speaking); simplistic, repetitive, underwritten screenplays; generic, tired camera work; sub par acting, a convoluted/messy conglomerate plot; bad pacing choices.

This isn't a bad summary for Venom films, though the cartoonish qualities come and go film to film, it's some of the lacking qualities that make them enduring. Kuo Chui is still one of my favorite KF actors, watched Hard Boiled again a couple months ago, does he deliver.

I think the venoms was never the same after Sun Chien and Lo Mang left.

I concur with this sentiment. Overall, I love all the V-flix but the earlier ones had a uniqueness about them that the latter ones did not. The feud between KC & LF, which caused them not to appear together in two films, plus LM & SC's departure reminded me of the many bands that lose original members but continue on. Still good but never the same.

Cloud Hands

I am a big Venoms fan, but to some extent agree with some of the criticisms made here. I definitely prefered the chemistry when Lo Mang and Sun Chien were there. But then again, a couple of my favourite Venom's films are from middle to latter days - Masked Avengers being one of my favourite films. The new wave Venoms troup were talented, how good is Chu Ko with a trident? Better than Sun Chien is the answer.

I'm also an admirer of an oft overlooked latter day Venoms film - Legend of the Fox. Being a big fan of Chu Yuan, I would have loved to have seen more films of this kind, with those intricate Gu Long storylines, wuxia fantasy feel, but with Venoms choreography. It's one to ponder, an imaginary dream team of Chu Yuan and the Venoms at their prime..

Archived