Only 12 Shaw movies left to release after Dec 2007?

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Guest peringaten
Just received an email from my friend in Hong Kong that Celestial will stop releasing the Shaw films after December 2007.

At any rate, there are only 12 movies left in their release catalogue after Dec 2007.

They are :

01. The Purple Shell - Ling Yun, Chiang Feng

02. The Brain Stealers - Lily Ho, Betty Ting Pei

03. Operation Lipstick - Cheng Pei-pei, Liu Liang-hua, Tina Chin Fei

04. Black Magic 2 - Tanny, Ti Lung, Lily Li

05. Forever Diamonds - Pat Ting Hung, Peter Chen Ho

06. Let's Fall In Love - Lin Feng-chiao, Hua LUn

07. Young Passion - Jenny Hu, Wang Yu

08. Call Of The Sea - Li Li-hua, Kang Wei

09. The Killer Has No Return - Wong Hei, Yu Rong-kuang

10. The Killer - Tsung Hua, Chin Han, Wang Ping

11. The Villains - Shih Szu, Yueh Hua

12. The Kid With A Tattoo - Wang Yu, Yueh Hua

Number 12, Kid With A Tattoo is already out - I don't remember Yueh Hua in it - actually, edit, second thoughts - Yuen Wah probably. Also - a Yu Rong-Kuang flick?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ivy Ling Po

The Killer Has No Return is from Canaan Film Production Ltd., 1996. The line producer of this movie (File Ip) is now working for Celestial as an exec.

May get The Kid With A Tattoo if it is out. Any good?

Sorry about the typo error.....should be Yuen Hua.

Guest peringaten

Cheers Ivy.

I absolutely loved Kid With A Tattoo - some seem to think it a lesser Sun Chung work, but man, of his films, it's one of those that REALLY grabs me - probably my most rewatched of his.

It's kind of similarish to My Rebellious Son in tone, pairs up very nicely, but sub Fu Sheng for Wong Yue - kind of akin to the way Rendezvous With Death is similarish in tone to Avenging Eagle.

I think I like Kid more than MRS. The choreo in Kid is solid, nothing too exceptional, but nice, but mixed with the direction, the cuts, slo-mo, tracking shots etc., it's wonderful, and then exceptional. Sun Chung shows why he's one of the VERY best here - a true testament to his ability, particularly technically (the term here incorporates a soulfulness which leads to his technical coherence and particular unique genius to me) - just the sum parts of this film don't provide the raw material to make it one of the best.

I can agree it's not the best of Sun Chung's films in most respects - the story is alright, the end not the greatest, the choreo just solid, the comedy just endearing (but I found it a lot of fun - never grating), the characters kind of non-exceptional - BUT the sheer fun and flair of it all makes it one of the most satisfyingly curious and appealing of all his to me - the one I'll revisit most for sure.

Just when it hits right, certain exceptionally masterful sequences, I'm taken. Catharthis. Don't expect a lot and see it for what it is - imo, proper fluff constructed with a real genius. Still fluff and in some respects lesser Shaw stuff, but kind of elevated; soooo well crafted in several respects, lovingly so - it's a wonder, beautifully done, mediocre, a shame, and brilliantly masterful all at the same time.

Can't describe it any other way. Wouldn't have it any other way. Some sort of schizo manna in affect.

Guest silver hermit

i know their licence was for only 5 years, after i seen the popular titles from 2002 going out of print it confirmed this IMO. i lent someone my flying guillotine and I had to buy another one I was lucky I found some website I never heard of that had it. after next month i'm going to start to track down everything i missed that i have interest in. mostly swordplays.

alot of people think celestial is dumb but i give them props they made IVL basicly pay for their remastering so they can make more money selling the rights world wide and the films are HD transfered so they are ready for the next video format what ever one that will be.

i will ask my HK contact about the remaining titles. i've allready seen black magic 2 remastered there is an online content company that offers that title for download. so maybe we should have more Petitions and hammer IVL into releasing the gems fans want. i just wish we could translate the Petitions to cantonese so the right people understand there is a market for them. IVL's only concern is the HK market.

Guest silver hermit

at least on line petitions are only a point and a click to complete. so its not really alot of effort compared to a real petition. i say the ends justify the means in these cases. if anyone starts one again i'll click it.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
as I've been saying for quite a while prior to this post, if there's a title that you want and haven't picked up, get it. These discs are not in print forever in any case, and some films simply aren't going to get a release other places.

I had to resort to the Deltamac version of The Flying Guillotine because of this very reason. If there's a title that's been out for a while and you were intending to pick it up you better get it while you can.

I just bought Knight of Knights, Brave Archer, and Buddha's Palm at hkflix and Holy Flame (thai version) on ebay. Do the thai dvd's have equal quality? This is my first thai dvd but it was only 10 bucks. Ebay has the IVL for 20 bucks if anyone is looking for it.

Guest Chemical Lemon

I think there's 1 more that belongs on that list.

Killers on Wheels (1976) - Kuei Chih-hung - Ling Yun, Terry Liu

I don't think that's on the schedule for this year (and it was in the catalog).

Personally I think this is being blown out of proportion. It likely has more to do with IVL than Celestial, and alot to do with the perceived lack of interest in these movies. If some company wants to release a movie in Celestial's library, I don't see them turning them away. Though possibly they'd have to remaster the title on their own. But I thought the original deal when Celestial bought the library was that SB was responsible for remastering them, and that was part of the purchase price. Maybe they went back and reworked the deal for some kind of a refund.

Guest andras
The Thai DVDs have always been D5 when the IVLs were D9.

not true, HOLY FLAME IVL HK is dvd-5.

Check your facts before answering.

Guest Markgway

Hey,

These are some of the IVL/Celestial/R3 DVDs that are on my to buy list:

A Deadly Secret

The Fastest Sword

The Secret of the Dirk

Tiger Killer

Are any of them OOP yet?

If anyone wants to trade a mint original I have A Call to Arms -- if anyone needs that title? (And a bunch of other non-Shaws on my trade list).

Might be a good idea to use this post specifically for Celestial trading lest anyone misses out on something they want.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Markgway,

A Deadly Secret

The Secret Of The Dirk

Tiger Killer

All three of these films are still in print as far as I'm aware. All three are about a 3/5 rating IMO.

Despite Ku Feng's outstanding performance (he manages to look as though he's a foot and a half shorter than he actually is with how he portrays his character's walk) then you've got some extreme sillyness with Ti Lung defeating an -man in a tiger suite- with kung fu, we're talking silly here.) It's still a 3/5 IMO.

The Secret Of The Dirk was a decent film. I don't remember it very much, so I'm thinking this film never really delivered as much as it's potential held promise.

A Deadly Secret has got some of the most brutal torture scenes in martial arts cinema, but then you've got this tortured individual up and about like nothing happened the next day, so it's hard to stay concerned about this character's fate in the film or take the film seriously in that matter anyway.

All three are worth owing, though you might wanna try trading for them.

The Fastest Sword is on it's way to me as we speak. This film looks very promising despite there not being one notable lead in the film, as far as I could recognize anyhow.

There are some BIG fans of the three above mentioned films. but that's my honest opinion of them anyway.

Just got Perils Of The Sentimental Swordsman. Gonna check it out for the first time with eng subs that are legible and every scene perceptible.

Good luck brother.

Guest Markgway

I've actually seen copies of those four films. I liked them (to varying degrees) which is why I'm after IVL originals. Good to know they're still in print. I asked because CD-Wow don't have them and that's where I get my Shaws. I thought 'Dirk' was superb. Probably the best Shaws film I've seen all year.

Guest killer meteor

HK Flix seems to keep titles longer than the Asian suppliers - I got Black Magic IVL from them the other week and none of the other suppliers had it

I must confess I'm got rushing to get originals of the IVL Shaws, because the standards conversions make them less of a priority for me - similary non-anamorphic titles

Guest stormybman

Yeah... I'm making haste to pick up Shaws I thought I could get back to later on... Some of the earlier releases, and some have already started going OOP... For instance, Come Drink With Me, already OOP. Bummer, even though I have it. It' a great film.:\

"Will you tell me what Teacher died of?..."

Im in the same boat.

There are quite a few titles i need to pick up released in the last two years, let's hope they are in print.

I bought Black tavern and What price honesty from sensasian

because i also wanted to pick up some older titles that a lot

of other sites did not have. The thing is the older titles i ordered ending up being OOP AFTER they processed my order.

( I am assuming China retailers do not update their sites as much?)

I noticed buyoyo.com has all the titles listed as well, but i will

bet my dollar they are OOP as well, gonna give it a shot though.

So looks like HK flix may be the way...sigh..my least trusted online retailer.

Archived