Only 12 Shaw movies left to release after Dec 2007?

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Are there only 12 movies left in Celestial's release catalogue after Dec 2007?

They are :

01. The Purple Shell - Ling Yun, Chiang Feng

02. The Brain Stealers - Lily Ho, Betty Ting Pei, Peter Chen Ho

03. Operation Lipstick - Cheng Pei-pei, Liu Liang-hua (Lo Wei's wife), Tina Chin Fei

04. Black Magic 2 - Tanny, Ti Lung, Lily Li

05. Forever Diamonds - Pat Ting Hung, Peter Chen Ho

06. Let's Fall In Love - Lin Feng-chiao, Hua Lun

07. Young Passion - Jenny Hu, Wong Yue

08. Call Of The Sea - Li Li-hua, Kang Wei (Jenny Hu's husband), Elsie Tu Tieh (Lin Dai's substitute)

09. The Killer Has No Return - Wong Hei, Yu Rong-guang

10. The Killer - Tsung Hua, Chin Han, Wang Ping

11. The Villains - Shih Szu, Yueh Hua

12. Killers On Wheels - Ling Yun, Terry Liu

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

If that's true it's very bad news.

But do you mean IVL perhaps?

Have the rights maybe transfered to another distributor?

(Hopes...)

Guest Stuntman Jules

F**k....

Looks like I'm gonna have to stomach that grimy f***ing dubbed and panned and scanned bootleg of DEADLY ANGELS I own for the rest of my life now. And I'll probably never get to see LADY EXECUTIONER ever. F**k.

If this is all true, hopefully Media Blasters will still be able to release BLACK MAGIC 2.

It's clear that the Shaw Brothers library didn't sell as well as they had anticipated. Oh well, now it's back to hunting for grimy nth generation bootlegs like in the old days for everything they didn't release. At least they released the first 500 films at all, we should be lucky and grateful at least about that.

Guest peringaten

Ain't believing anything till I see it happen for sure. I remember when I started to panic about not getting Disciples Of Shaolin on the old shelf, etc...

while I certainly don't doubt Ivy, there's posts on this forum dating back to the first few months of them releasing these films in HK years ago where people said Celestial were ceasing releases. It's like a regular thing that has to pop up every few months. I'd wait until there's a for sure announcement. Even if it did happen, that will not stop them from finishing the remasters, as they are being done with TV and overseas sales in mind as well.

Guest chen lung
''You have offended my family and you have offended the Shaolin Temple and the people in the USA who loved those movies".

It's not just Americans who like them (even though I think the majority of them are trash - I'm British:lol ).

But yeah, IVL's contract was to release them from 2002-2007. However, they did not finish the 760 mark as some have said. All the same, 500 is a hell of a lot, never mind 760!

I imagine Celestial will continue 'remastering'. Perhaps Joy Sales or someone else will continue them with a new contract, but you know what that means - starting from scratch with more rubbish PAL>NTSC @#%$ (could be wrong). If that's the case, then the policy that HK releases come first before any others may still apply - no releases by Media Blasters or Image would occur.

Guest Markgway

Plea to Celestial...

If the person in charge is a woman I promise to go down on her every day for a year if she guarantees the DVD release of the remaining Shaw catalogue.

If it's a bloke...

Well someone here must have a sister...? :|

If that's the case, then the policy that HK releases come first before any others may still apply - no releases by Media Blasters or Image would occur.

just to be clear, if IVL releases stop, that does not affect releases from US companies. The deal is for HK versions to get released first IF they are scheduled. If not, the US companies will be free to put them out.

Guest chen lung
The deal is for HK versions to get released first IF they are scheduled. If not, the US companies will be free to put them out.

This is a blessing in disguise :D ! May IVL go out of business then (if all the others are released elsewhere):lol !

There's too many Shaws to release AND keep in-print. All those garbage releases were such a waste too.

as I've been saying for quite a while prior to this post, if there's a title that you want and haven't picked up, get it. These discs are not in print forever in any case, and some films simply aren't going to get a release other places.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Amen to Linn's last post.

I will pick up some titles that I have been thinking of before they go out of print.

Pardon my cynicism, but ...

since this story is causing some folks to buy titles before they go out of print, do you think, maybe, possibly, that was the intention?

Guest drunkenmantis13
since this story is causing some folks to buy titles before they go out of print, do you think, maybe, possibly, that was the intention

I don't think they would set themselves up for tons of bad flak just to sell a few copies of older releases...

Guest Karlos

As Silver Hermit says, I too was told that the plan was to stop at Dec 2007 as it was a 5 yr only deal???

If this is indeed the case, it's a real shame (to say the least) as there are so MANY classics sat on their shelves, gathering dust...

:rolleyes

Guest Ivy Ling Po

I am sorry I started this thread causing some distress when there are only 12 titles at stake.

If the administrator/moderator wants to lock/throw out the entire thread as suggested by oldeschool17, I have no objection.

Guest raider yang
I am sorry I started this thread causing some distress when the facts are not confirmed. Since we can't do anything about it, let's just hope for the best.

Too late...I already slit my wrists.:x

Guest chen lung
I am sorry I started this thread causing some distress when the facts are not confirmed.

I just had the guests round and cracked open the damn champagne:x !

Thanks a lot Ivy!>:

:P

Guest VenomsFan
since this story is causing some folks to buy titles before they go out of print, do you think, maybe, possibly, that was the intention?

If so, then the bootleg boards will start up again.

Ah well at least they got the VenomsFilms released by then.

Like most companies, milk the cow. Then shut it down. The way of the world somtimes I suppose.

Guest HAZ74

So, what celestials have gone out of print? I'd be curious to know. Is there a collectors market for them yet?

So, what celestials have gone out of print? I'd be curious to know. Is there a collectors market for them yet?

There's not a lot out of print, and they kinda go all over the spectrum. Many of the more well known titles are coming out in the US, so the rare stuff will be really the dramas, horror, and musicals. Which will have a bit more of a niche market anyway.

Archived