Lobby cards:

Can anyone post any info on this flick.

GD

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Didn't care for it myself...

Agreed. After 10 minutes or so, just long enough to see how ridiculous the first fight scene at the old man's home was, I put it on the shelf. Too over done like ie: Golden Lion. I did hold on to the film though and it is a keeper merely for the cast. Isn't it a Joseph Kuo directed film? God I hate that guy's style. I'll check it out on a night when I really don't care what I'm veiwing.

Guest PaulyOne

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you two

this was a wonderful film and was one of the top shaw dvds of 2006. somewhat ahead of its time action wise and the finale was a fantastic bloody mess ala Chang Cheh

Liu Ping is badass, though he looked like he spent a little too much time in the tanning bed, I think it was a unique look for a baddie

Ling Yun is pretty badass too with his hat always pulled down over his eyes like Wong Chung Shun in Magnificent Swordsman.

Ivy ling Po was cute too and held her own when she actually performing action herself

I would say it is a must for any Joseph Kuo fan or anyone who likes good late 60s / early 70s swordplay like I do

by the way The Golden Lion is one of the best Shaw films of all time in my humble opinion

Guest jmungus

i wouldnt call golden lion a fave of mine but i liked it quite a bit too.

it came as a thoroughly pleasant surprise.

imho, whoever dislikes these (mighty one etc) is clearly partial to the 'sedate-style-swashbucklers' (not that its a bad thing, many awesome classics in this category; but the refreshing, progressive touch of the likes of M1 cant be denied and, again- imho, MUST be appreciated...cuz it is simply WICKED! :D )

imho, whoever dislikes these (mighty one etc) is clearly partial to the 'sedate-style-swashbucklers'

I'm sorry, but that has nothing to do with my disliking these particular films. I'm just as appreciative of fast moving/extreme/violent films as the next guy, but that alone dosen't make a movie good. And just what is so progressive about poor directing. The action in these particular films I would not consider progressive, just childish. This is not an attack on those who do like these particular films, I'm partial to childish films too, oh and of course this is just MHO.

Cheers!

Guest PaulyOne

According to your previous post, you never even finished watching the film, so I'm not really sure what you are on about, critiquing the film in such a garish fashion.

The style of action in this film is somewhat typical of Shaw swordplay films of the period and even goes a few extra steps with some of the creative scenarios that take place. I understand that everyone will have their own opinion, but to call the action childish is a bit much.

According to your previous post, you never even finished watching the film, so I'm not really sure what you are on about, critiquing the film in such a garish fashion

As aforementioned The Golden Lion (lifting and throwing huge trees around like the incredible hulk of kung fu and that's not all), then there's Devil's Mirror (no characters to be identified with or story just endless scenes of nobodies fighting, the three eyed witch and her lover were cool actors but not cool enough to carry the movie), The Long Chase (two of my favorite leads running around like fools a complete waste of two very talented actors, with nothing important to say, just making a long chase out of the script, hoping some sort of point to a story might accidentally fall out of the apparent ad-lib performances) Snake Prince (what a twisted combination of very childish story telling interspersed with nudity, bestiality, and bloody violence, it's a keeper:D ) and in all likely hood The Mighty One if I know my Joseph Kuo. Which I do. Dude the action in the first fight scene of The Mighty One is plain childish. When you punch somebody and they sail a hundred feet or more across the yard that's childish. The costumes looked pretty cheesy too. I am going to view the film and I'm sure there will be some parts of the movie I'll appreciate, and I did say I have my share of childish films. In fact if I were to be so overly critical or even "garish" as you've stated I would denounce almost all Shaw Bros. films as unrealistic and childish. But I love them long time anyway!!! And yes I can be a bit much.

Guest PaulyOne

fair enough, it just sounds like the action in the opening scene wasn't your style, though I hope you give it another chance and watch it all, because it is worth it

Guest killer meteor

The opening fight is quite poor but the film improves quite a lot as it progresses. The finale is quite a neat one. As a whole, the film is a charmingly daft diversion

Archived