Kung Fu (TBA) - Donnie Yen

AlbertV

I'd be a little more interested in seeing someone give Bruce Lee, James Coburn, & Stirling Silliphants' Silent Flute a respectable effort (it wouldn't be hard to improve on David Carradine's Circle Of Iron version) than I am in yet another version of Kung Fu. A few years ago I probably would have been at least mildly interested in anything Donnie Yen was doing but honestly, after that last John Wick movie, I feel like Donnie's age is starting to show. I suppose it's admirable that guys like Donnie are still making action movies but having seen them in their prime, well, it's kind of like what it was like watching Jackie Chan movies made after 2000, you knew going in you were seeing this guy noticeably past his physical prime, you knew the movies wouldn't be comparable to their classics.

• Like 1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• laagi

• DiP

• LoBo

• PandaPawPaw

Donnie is getting better with age despite being in his 60s now. Unlike a 60 years-old Jackie, who already struggled with physicality in his early 50s due to years of doing stunts and damaging his overall body (it took a heavy toll eventually), Donnie doesn't look nowhere near as washed up. With the remaining years Donnie has got left physically, I'm pretty sure he will spend them wisely by making the type of movies we all want to see from him. That's something Jackie only did a few times, and wasting his own remaining years making junk after junk most of the time.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
On 2/6/2024 at 1:50 AM, DiP said:

Donnie is getting better with age despite being in his 60s now. Unlike a 60 years-old Jackie, who already struggled with physicality in his early 50s due to years of doing stunts and damaging his overall body (it took a heavy toll eventually), Donnie doesn't look nowhere near as washed up. With the remaining years Donnie has got left physically, I'm pretty sure he will spend them wisely by making the type of movies we all want to see from him. That's something Jackie only did a few times, and wasting his own remaining years making junk after junk most of the time.

Hasn't he got a dodgy shoulder or something that troubles him?

12 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Hasn't he got a dodgy shoulder or something that troubles him?

Correct. If it continues then I'm surprised he still has the energy to make demanding action movies. I'm not sure what the status of his recurring injury is now though. Maybe he treated it and it's getting better?

• Like 1