Fists Of Fire (Vintage Shaw Brothers Documentary)

Guest tigerstyles

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Karlos

I love this doc!

Made around 1973, for UK TV, I think, there are the tiniest glimpses of behind the scenes at SB studios - blink and you'll miss Lu Feng showing some moves - but mainly it concentrates on showing/interviewing David Chaing (who comes across as a really nice guy, after he's thrown some shapes on a roof) and the making of 7 Golden Vampires.

Worth a watch, defo - thank you, Magicpoe! :D

It seemed strange that bits and pieces of this were already on YouTube but not the entire doc from start to finish. I had to break it up into 3 parts due to YouTube's time restrictions on clips.

Glad that you've enjoyed it.

Guest shukocarl

The 'Fist of Fire' doc was made by the BBC in 1974 and part of a series called 'The Risk Business' which featured a risky/dangerous job each week. It was shown (I think) before Christmas 1974. The series was repeated sometime after but without the Shaws segment! which meant it was only screened the once until Video Asia nicked (sorry...) 'aquired' it from somewhere!:D

which meant it was only screened the once until Video Asia nicked (sorry...) 'aquired' it from somewhere!

in the 90s when someone found an old video of it in a local archive. This was taped by one of the UK fans and then sent out on the rounds. I got a copy I guess in 2000 maybe. I'm working on seeing if we can get this and some others for Media Blasters releases.

Guest kermit

I tried to get the rights for this for one of my releases. The BBC's price is far too spicey for me though.

It would be nice if someone could put it out.

I'm sure most fans here will have seen this one already but thought I'd post for those who might not have watched it yet. Its a thirty minute vintage production from the 1970's made by the BBC about the Shaw's studio. The picture and sound quality are not amazing but its perfectly watchable. David Chiang features quite heavily in the film and you get to see him speaking English.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I'd love to have this on dvd. If Celestial ever make good on their summer 2015 Facebook post of more blu rays, this should be an extra (especially if it's a David Chiang-centric release.)

Thanks for posting it  DragonClaws. 

I'd love to have this on dvd. If Celestial ever make good on their summer 2015 Facebook post of more blu rays, this should be an extra (especially if it's a David Chiang-centric release.)

Thanks for posting it  DragonClaws. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it Lady Jin Szu Yi & Shaolin Swords.

Its all down to who owns the rights and how much they want for the footage. It would make a nice bonus feature perhaps for Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires which features in the documentary. I like the scene where you get to see them recording the sound effects for the film. I wonder if the BBC have any outtakes unused footage from this production?.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I'm glad you enjoyed it Lady Jin Szu Yi & Shaolin Swords.

Its all down to who owns the rights and how much they want for the footage. It would make a nice bonus feature perhaps for Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires which features in the documentary. I like the scene where you get to see them recording the sound effects for the film. I wonder if the BBC have any outtakes unused footage from this production?.

Yeah, I'd love this on a Legends of the 7 Golden Vampires blu ray. I would think the BBC owns the rights unless the folks at Hammer bought them at the time this was made. Happy this is available to watch in some form. I've had it bookmarked at home and at work for awhile now, but never get tired of rewatching. 

This is actually on DVD.  It's been on one or two discs I own. The one I can recall is a CKT indie shot in Thailand. Think it's Hero Tat 9 Dragons. 

This is actually on DVD.  It's been on one or two discs I own. The one I can recall is a CKT indie shot in Thailand. Think it's Hero Tat 9 Dragons. 

Is the picture quality any better? or have they used a duplicate of the YT upload?.

Is the picture quality any better? or have they used a duplicate of the YT upload?.

All the versions I've seen are taken from the same source (which I believe was a cam-job).

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Many thanks Teako,

EDIT:

According to the seller, the NTSC print of that CKT film sold in Amazon does not include the documentary. 

*And, too,  for the mention of your scan of the Tang Chia interview, Kung Fu Bob has offered to scan that for me. 

Many thanks Teako,

EDIT:

According to the seller, the NTSC print of that CKT film sold in Amazon does not include the documentary. 

*And, too,  for the mention of your scan of the Tang Chia interview, Kung Fu Bob has offered to scan that for me. 

My mistake. Its on Shaw Legend's "Invincible Monkey Fist."

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Monkey-Fist-Chen-Kuan/dp/B00009WHTB

Those scans of Tong's interview should be on here somewhere. Can't locate them with the Search feature though.

• Administrator

My mistake. Its on Shaw Legend's "Invincible Monkey Fist."

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Monkey-Fist-Chen-Kuan/dp/B00009WHTB

Those scans of Tong's interview should be on here somewhere. Can't locate them with the Search feature though.

The only thing worse than the quality of those damn cheap, malfunctioning Video Asia DVDs is our search feature! We are still awaiting the promised upgrade. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. :thinking 

I know this doc was on a Toby Russell UK DVD release of...erm...(someone help me out!)

...BUT the ending of the doc is missing!!

I know this doc was on a Toby Russell UK DVD release of...erm...(someone help me out!)

...BUT the ending of the doc is missing!!

I haven't found it on any U.K DVD release yet, that's not to say it hasn't been included on one of the RareScope/Vengeance Video releases.

I haven't found it on any U.K DVD release yet, that's not to say it hasn't been included on one of the RareScope/Vengeance Video releases.

It might not be on a UK DVD, no.  My memory is terrible!  I do recall it did not have the full doc on though, it just goes off!

• Administrator

I found the original post on this topic and merged the two threads. So there's a bit of interesting info for you to read on this doc from back then. Check out the earliest posts in this thread.

Archived