True Detective: Night Country (2024) MAX - Jodie Foster

laagi

I'm not gonna go into S01 of True Detective as it is quite simple one of the greatest TV shows ever made, at least IMHO.

Now with such a legacy it was never gonna be easy for 'Night Country' and it didn't take long for the inevitable comparison to S01. Reviews haven't been too kind and after watching the pilot and second episode I can agree with some of it.

First of all I'm baffled on why they would choose an absolute travesty of CGI as a very first scene to a new series. It looked horrendous and didn't add anything at all to what unfolded.

Luckily from there the series actually starts to look A LOT better. Really capturing the isolation, loneliness and cold (I even started freezing while watching) of the fictional Alaskan mining town of Ennis.

Performances of the lead actors (actresses, whatever!?) are good and more importantly believable. However none of them are particularly likeable, if that was by choice or not I can not say.

Also the show tries desperately to address too many issues all at once. At least that's my impression after the first two episodes.

And yes I can see that to some it may look like they've tried to check as many "boxes" as possible. It's something that can't be completely ignored but at the same time I don't think needs to be given too much thought to either.

Overall it's still a well paced and interesting story with its supernatural approach not holding back to show some gruesome images. I actually enjoy this part!

Curious to see how the story unfolds and how heavily they gonna lean into the whole mystery and horror elements. I for one will keep watching.

Edited by laagi

Drunken Monk

I haven't seen the second episode yet but I really enjoyed the first one. I felt like they tried to cram a little too much into it and it should have been a slower, more methodical start but besides that, I felt pulled into the world it was presenting.

Both lead characters are excellent (and a nice contrast to one another) and I really like how this one leans towards the supernautal a bit. That's a nice little spin.

Hopefully, I'll watch the second episode tonight.

ShaOW!linDude

This is available on MAX, right? When I looked for it on there, it didn't pop up. Maybe I searched for it a week before it was released.

Drunken Monk
29 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

This is available on MAX, right? When I looked for it on there, it didn't pop up. Maybe I searched for it a week before it was released.

It doesn't come up when searching for True Detective: Night County. It comes up as the fourth season of True Detective.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I watched the second episode last night and loved it. I really like how everything connects to the first season. Very interesting. Then there's the distinct feeling that something supernatural is afoot. But I think they'll explain everything with logic at the end of the day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I watched the second episode last night and loved it. I really like how everything connects to the first season. Very interesting. Then there's the distinct feeling that something supernatural is afoot. But I think they'll explain everything with logic at the end of the day.

My thoughts exactly. BTW, are we just gonna ignore the fact that Jodie Foster

Spoiler

got pounded. I meant WTF!?

Not sure I'm gonna be able to unsee that anytime soon lol.

ShaOW!linDude
2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

It doesn't come up when searching for True Detective: Night County. It comes up as the fourth season of True Detective.

I may have thought it dropped before it did when I tried to pull it up. I'll look again. I keep TD in my queue. Hopefully Season 4 will appear now.

Episode 3 was a bit uneven with the (one) too many sub-plots. Kind of made it hard to follow with all these distractions. I'm sure the overall heavy focus on female (in this particular case indigenous) suffering, will tick some of the "I-net crowd" off. Myself I didn't mind "the message" and rather saw it as a problem in regards to the main story-line. Making everything far less engaging with such lack of focus.

As for the aforementioned. Admittedly I'm in their ("I-net crowd") corner more often than not. Especially in regards to the general approach entertainment seems to take nowadays.

However, I'm also getting increasingly exhausted by the constant bitching and whining. Not everything has a secret agenda to destroy manhood just because it doesn't follow century old tropes. Anyway...

Overall I'm still hooked by the vibe of this murder mystery. It's not like there's any interesting alternative at the moment or at least none I'm aware of.

Also kudos to MAX for giving the middle-finger to all binge watchers! Who'd a thought that a weekly release would make a huge difference in terms of excitement. Guess making someone wait is a good thing after-all.

Looking forward to the next episode, as we slowly piece together what really happened!

Spoiler

Anybody else think that the polluted water will play a vital role in explaining the "supernatural"?

Edited by laagi

PandaPawPaw
On 1/25/2024 at 4:01 PM, laagi said:

My thoughts exactly. BTW, are we just gonna ignore the fact that Jodie Foster

Reveal hidden contents

got pounded. I meant WTF!?

Not sure I'm gonna be able to unsee that anytime soon lol.

What kind of pounded are we talking about? The punching kind or the in out in out shake it all about kind?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

What kind of pounded are we talking about? The punching kind or the in out in out shake it all about kind?

You already know the answer don't you...

73dd760222eb7760822e8698d698bb9ae224c36e

First credit where credit is due. I think for the most part the show looks great! Really conveying this feeling of loneliness and isolation.

With episode 4 out there's unfortunately a bunch of issues which can no longer be ignored I'm afraid.

First of all were about 2/3 done with the series. The main plot by now should have moved forward rather significantly.

However, the show runners seem to be more concerned in needlessly getting stuck in all the sub-plots. Meaning in the latest episode the personal drama has been dialed up to 11.

In return basically dedicating 10-15 minutes to the actual (interesting?) main plot. Which with its supernatural theme still somewhat is captivating but it's starting to stretch thin real fast.

It's interesting how everything seems to slowly fall apart here and I for one can not imagine how they'll end 'TD: Night Country' in a satisfying way.

There's just "no meat" to a lot of what's actually happening here. Most characters are either lost, sad, depressed, angry and lonely all the times. Which again given the isolation of such place makes somewhat sense. But that's all there is I'm afraid.

Putting a few jump scares here and there and some flashbacks etc. doesn't elevate a paper-thin plot. Also in this latest episode some of the acting especially from our main cast was subpar. They can only do so much I guess.

I honestly hope I'm wrong and the show will unlike my prediction come to a satisfying conclusion. With how everything has been developing so far though I think it's highly unlikable.

@Drunken Monk you still watching? Or for that matter is anyone watching this lol?

And yes @PandaPawPaw I know you crave for that "Jodie Pounding Scene"...

Drunken Monk
4 minutes ago, laagi said:

First credit where credit is due. I think for the most part the show looks great! Really conveying this feeling of loneliness and isolation.

With episode 4 out there's unfortunately a bunch of issues which can no longer be ignored I'm afraid.

First of all were about 2/3 done with the series. The main plot by now should have moved forward rather significantly.

However, the show runners seem to be more concerned in needlessly getting stuck in all the sub-plots. Meaning in the latest episode the personal drama has been dialed up to 11.

In return basically dedicating 10-15 minutes to the actual (interesting?) main plot. Which with its supernatural theme still somewhat is captivating but it's starting to stretch thin real fast.

It's interesting how everything seems to slowly fall apart here and I for one can not imagine how they'll end 'TD: Night Country' in a satisfying way.

There's just "no meat" to a lot of what's actually happening here. Most characters are either lost, sad, depressed, angry and lonely all the times. Which again given the isolation of such place makes somewhat sense. But that's all there is I'm afraid.

Putting a few jump scares here and there and some flashbacks etc. doesn't elevate a paper-thin plot. Also in this latest episode some of the acting especially from our main cast was subpar. They can only do so much I guess.

I honestly hope I'm wrong and the show will unlike my prediction come to a satisfying conclusion. With how everything has been developing so far though I think it's highly unlikable.

@Drunken Monk you still watching? Or for that matter is anyone watching this lol?

And yes @PandaPawPaw I know you crave for that "Jodie Pounding Scene"...

I'm definitely still watching but I've come to the conclusion that the show is much more of a character (or community) study than a crime thriller. Granted, I haven't seen episode 4 yet but I, too, feel like they won't be able to wrap up the murder plot properly. In the meantime, I'm focusing more on where the show wants to stter me; towards the character drama. It's not ideal, what with the murders being the most interesting part but I get that they're trying to give us more than just the average thriller.

It still has its hooks in me for now an dI'm definitely going to see it to the end. But we'll see how I feel once all is said and done.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I watched episode 4 and while I enjoyed it, there's a distinct feeling they won't be able to wrap all this up by episode 6. It might just end with a "It was ghosts all along!" type ending and they may not explore the supernatural themes at all. I like the idea of this remote, frozen wilderness being a hub for spirits but it definitely needs a bit of an explanation.

The performances are still great, though I'm a bit fed up of Danvers (Jodie Foster) being a constant bitch. I understand she's a flawed characters but her moments of humanity are usually steamrolled by her being annoyed and snarky seconds later. I hope we see her break at some point and either A.) Be happy or B.) Emotionally crumble and alk about her trauma.
Navarro is still incredible but there's still the question as to why she is able to see all the ghosts. If it's a culture thing, they need to explore that. I hate to say it but I thought her sister was an utterly thoraway chatacter. That subplot went nowhere and the resulting trauma isn't very effective. Though it did result in last episode's beatdown and I found that quite interesting.

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I hate to say it but I thought her sister was an utterly thoraway chatacter.

I think the worst character is Danvers daughter. Other then creating needless teenage drama she hasn't done anything of interest!

The writing is really lazy this season IMHO. But I'll see it through to the end.

Drunken Monk
10 minutes ago, laagi said:

I think the worst character is Danvers daughter. Other then creating needless teenage drama she hasn't done anything of interest!

I agree. There's a feeling they'll do something with her. Something big. But if they don't, she will have just been the angsty teen.

• Like 1

I hate to say it but after the last episode 'Night Country' is turning out to be a steaming pile of horse-shit!

Seriously what is with the writing of this show. It's just dreadful to watch anymore. This murder mystery probably didn't even fill a page.

I'm still in disbelief because for what it's worth the series looks great! So at least someone did their job right. The budget is clearly there. Also Jodie Foster WOULD be a great actress. But she just stumbles from scene to scene.

Don't get me started on the dialogue. The latest episode was a bunch of F-bombs and the mandatory "ask questions" shtick they've been riding hard since episode one.

I don't even care anymore about any of it! I'm done give me the last episode so I can flush this turd down the drain where it belongs.

Drunken Monk

I'm pretty much in the same boat at @laagi. The most recent episode truly caused me to not give a fuck about this show anymore. I don't even know what it's trying to say or do. It seems to have no focus and is struggling to find its way. Is it supernatural? Is it a murder mystery? Is it a character drama? It's trying to be everything and is failing to nail any one of them down. 

I really like Navarro and feel like she holds a lot of potential as a character. She has this brooding intensity. But she's lumped with Danvers and she drags the whole show down. Just a disgruntled, angry woman who seemingly hates the world. What's there to like about her?

I'll watch the last episode because I have to now. But I'll forget about this show in the weeks to come. MAX cancels Warrior and gives us this dud. Ludicrous.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 2/16/2024 at 5:21 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat at @laagi. The most recent episode truly caused me to not give a fuck about this show anymore. I don't even know what it's trying to say or do. It seems to have no focus and is struggling to find its way. Is it supernatural? Is it a murder mystery? Is it a character drama? It's trying to be everything and is failing to nail any one of them down. 

I really like Navarro and feel like she holds a lot of potential as a character. She has this brooding intensity. But she's lumped with Danvers and she drags the whole show down. Just a disgruntled, angry woman who seemingly hates the world. What's there to like about her?

I'll watch the last episode because I have to now. But I'll forget about this show in the weeks to come. MAX cancels Warrior and gives us this dud. Ludicrous.

Here's my totally honest review of the finale... AND I'm fucking out!

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by Jurassic World

Drunken Monk

It tried its best to stick the landing but ultimately failed. The problem is that they didn't give a shit about the mystery throughout the season (choosing character drama instead) and then, in the finale, chose to give us nothing but mystery. The whole series was poorluy structured, filled with half-ideas and plot points that essentially went nowhere. I feel like there was so much to explore but not enough time to do it in.

Comparing this season to the first one makes it even worse. The first nailed character development and its own murder mystery perfectly. This one stumbled and bumbled along until they delivered a loud but ultimately hollow "SURPRISE!" at the end.

No good.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

PandaPawPaw
19 minutes ago, laagi said:

Wait so I thought if I hate something made by women that means I hate women. Now you telling me the opposite is true too!?

I'm so fucking confused!

Ah well you know what they say. If you can't beat them, then might as well join them......................

9kVaCrm0CJ7H.gif

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Wait so I thought if I hate something made by women that means I hate women. Now you telling me the opposite is true too!?

Joking Just Kidding GIF