Fists, Kicks, & Kimchi: A History of the Korean Taekwon-Action Genre in the 1970’s – 1980’s

One Armed Boxer

Super Ninja

This is GOLD!! I keep postponing deep-diving into old-school Korean action, but you left me no excuse now! This historic piece is the best possible introduction to the genre any fan could want.

You also solved the Shaolin vs. Lama Korean cut mystery, at least for me. I didn't know the story behind it (and others) and was about to ask for answers here on the forum. Crazy story!

My only question is could all of the Korean "kung fu" movie output of the time (early and late '70s, and beyond, not counting HK and Taiwan co-productions) be referred to as taekwon-action, or is there a clear distinction between the two genres?

Thanks for your work in the research and writing this amazing article!

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

Cheers @Super Ninja, I had to find some way to compete with your Chang Shan interview! :tongueout Appreciate the positive feedback and you reading!

13 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

My only question is could all of the Korean "kung fu" movie output of the time (early and late '70s, and beyond, not counting HK and Taiwan co-productions) be referred to as taekwon-action, or is there a clear distinction between the two genres?

I don't think there's a definitive right or wrong answer on this, but in my opinion at least, yes any Korean martial arts movie that came out during the 70's and 80's would fall into the category of taekwon-action. 

• Like 2

Super Ninja
12 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Cheers @Super Ninja, I had to find some way to compete with your Chang Shan interview! :tongueout Appreciate the positive feedback and you reading!

Yeah right :laugh 

12 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I don't think there's a definitive right or wrong answer on this, but in my opinion at least, yes any Korean martial arts movie that came out during the 70's and 80's would fall into the category of taekwon-action.

Thanks for clearing that up. I quickly checked the availability of Lee Doo-yong's taekwon-action films and it's obviously gonna be quite a challenge tracking these films down. Being that Manchurian Tiger and Returned Single-legged Man are now available in HD and that Busan FF hosted a retrospective of selected Lee Doo-yong's films in 2016., perhaps there's a chance his other taekwon-action films might get the same treatment sometime in the future.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Do you mind if reference it in one of my write-ups in my fanzine, @One Armed Boxer?

Thanks Doc, and by all means!