Ghost Eyes DVD

Guest Argento476

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the dvd is out of print. But you might can find a copy or two. I thought it was pretty good, but I dig just about any Asian horror.

Guest Stuntman Jules

BAMBOO HOUSE OF DOLLS, his vile CRIMINALS segments, THE KILLER SNAKES and THE BOXER'S OMEN all did it for way more than GHOST EYES, which, for a Kuei Chih Hung movie, was surprisingly dull.

all did it for way more than GHOST EYES, which, for a Kuei Chih Hung movie, was surprisingly dull.

Strangely enough, I kind of liked it because of that. It was more of a traditional horror film, which was unusual for him. BTW, you still haven't seen his best yet, wait till you see Payment In Blood.

Guest Markgway
BAMBOO HOUSE OF DOLLS, his vile CRIMINALS segments, THE KILLER SNAKES and THE BOXER'S OMEN

...all of which were inferior to Ghost Eyes IMO. 8)

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Will we ever see Payment In Blood remastered?

I don't believe it was picked up by Celestial for release.

I hope I am wrong.

Ghost eyes dvd is difficult to find. All I've seen are boots of this. Anyone have a clue where to get an IVL of this?

Guest deliriocaldo

Gui's finest hour, imho, is the first segment of HOMICIDES - THE CRIMINALS, PT 2, called "The Deaf-Mute Killer".

Set in Early-50s HK, this is sort of a neorealist reprise of the theme of juvenile anxiety and alienation that was also at the core of earlier films like THE KILLER SNAKES or THE DELINQUENT, but without all (or, well, most) of the sensationalism that has been Gui's trademark throughout the rest of his oeuvre.

The set desing and especially the (b/w scope) photography of this episode rank among the best I've seen anywhere in a shaw movie, and Hon Kwok Choi's performance is simply marvelous. Bleak stuff, but highly recommended.

PAYMENT IN BLOOD also is excellent stuff indeed, but it doesn't qualify as a horror film imho. It's more of a crime/revenge thriller - think of Enzo Castellari's STREET LAW or something like that. Yueh Hua has witnessed a crime and is terrorized by the triad bad guys to keep him silent. When, finally, they kill his wife and daughter, he goes berserk, smashing up the whole Hong Kong Stock Exchange to get even with the triad head honcho who resides there...

It's out on german VHS as a letterboxed (albeit cut) print, and as it's indeed missing from celestial's list, this seems the only way to go...

Here are the german VHS cover artworks:

31866_f.jpg

102745_f.jpg

...and a link to a german review with some screenshots: http://www.thelongestsite.de/RevMovie/RevHK/P/PaymentInBlood.html'>

http://www.thelongestsite.de/RevMovie/RevHK/P/PaymentInBlood.html

PAYMENT IN BLOOD also is excellent stuff indeed, but it doesn't qualify as a horror film imho.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant IMO, it's one of his best films. I remember it on the original list of films sold to them, I'm guessing you mean films they were remastering?

Guest deliriocaldo

Yes, I was referring to the list of titles left for remastering. I'd be very happy if this would come out somewhere else, as the german print is scratchy and reportedly missing whole segments, but what's the probability that non-martial arts and non-horror stuff will be picked up anywhere else in the world?

there's a good chance this and others like it would get a US release from a smaller niche company. I've mentioned this to at least one company already.

Guest deliriocaldo

Ah, thanks! That's great news!

So keep on lobbying, and I keep my fingers crossed! It would be great to see PAYMENT IN BLOOD released in sort of a "Shaw Bros: Crime" series, together with the likes of Mu Dunfei's BANK BUSTERS or Pao Hsueh Li's DEADLY ANGELS (two other movies i seriously miss on celestial's remastering schedule), as well as better-known/easier-to-get titles like THE LADY PROFESSIONAL, THE SEXY KILLER, THE TEAHOUSE, BIG BROTHER CHENG, etc.

Guest deliriocaldo

Don't know, as I haven't seen it. It's one of those elusive titles that haven't been available in any form since their original HK cinema run, as far as I know...

Sek Kei mentions it as one of Mou's best works in his article for the HKFA "Shaw Screen" book. He says it was one of the first movies depicting mainland triad gangs operating in HK, which would make it an important predecessor for Johnny Mak's LONG ARM OF THE LAW, one of my all-time favourite HK gangster flicks. This alone is reason enough for me for eagerly wanting to see BANK BUSTERS..

Archived