Badland Hunters (2024) Netflix - Don Lee

Did the search function play a trick on me again? Anyway, looks like Don Lee is getting the Netflix treatment. Am I excited... Meh!?

Trailer is a whole lot of nothing besides Lee beating, slashing, gunning and blowing shit up.

I'm going in with low expectations...

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

@One Armed Boxer not sure how far up your list (strange wording) this is BUT I'm sure you already know that this is Heo Myeong-haeng's first movie as a director.

So far not very interesting I know HOWEVER he's also gonna direct the next installment of 'The Outlaws' namely 'The Roundup: Punishment'.

Might be worth checking out for that reason alone. Fingers crossed he doesn't blow it! :laluot_11:

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

Who watched this? Well looks like I'm first :yociexp38:

This has all the ingredients of your bog-standard Netflix production. Horrible CGI? Check. Story? What story, check. Character development? That's a good one, check.

Honestly after watching this I feel I must have lost at least a couple of brain cells. And yes I checked it was switched off for the entirety of the movie, duh.

Also the "one punch" gimmick of Don Lee is getting increasingly tiring and more importantly boring to watch.

So with all these positives out of the way it's clear that I've hated this movie, right? Well not exactly for the most part to be more specific the last third of 'Badland Hunters' I've actually really enjoyed it or maybe that's my brain-damage talking.

The best action scene sees a homicidal Don Lee go all out with weapons of his choice in a hallway @One Armed Boxer of all places against a horde of uhm lizard people I guess.

BTW, what's up with this "ex-military personal" stuff? It's now at a point where it's just ridiculous to see countless pros get murdered by a group of heroes without as much as a scratch. In fact in this instance, it makes even less sense considering these pros have been injected with some lizard juice.

As for Don Lee the guy just carries and unlimited amount of charisma it seems so his usual schtick can be forgiven. In fact I've always compared him to Dwayne The Rock Johnson but I think his entire persona would be much more fitting to Bud Spencer. If you know you know.

Supporting cast was meh for the most part. I did however rather enjoy Ahn Ji-hye which some will probably remember from 'Slate'. Speaking of female presence @PandaPawPaw didn't forget you there buddy. Roh Jeong-eui is really cute there's no denying.

All in all 'Badland Hunters' is as stupid as it gets and if it weren't for a strong third act would've probably been mediocre. As it stands it's a fun brainless ride and that's what we're here for or are we?

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 1/27/2024 at 6:18 AM, laagi said:

Who watched this? Well looks like I'm first :yociexp38:

I guess I was the second. :tongueout Pretty much agree with all your comments @laagi, although I may have enjoyed it marginally less than you did! I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/badland-hunters-2024-review-ma-dong-seok-don-lee-mad-max-post-apocalyptic-korean/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I guess I was the second. :tongueout Pretty much agree with all your comments @laagi, although I may have enjoyed it marginally less than you did! I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/badland-hunters-2024-review-ma-dong-seok-don-lee-mad-max-post-apocalyptic-korean/

Lovely review and agreed 💯 with everything you have to say about 'Badland Hunters'. Didn't even know this was suppose to play in the same world as 'Concrete Utopia'. Did you watch that as well?

As for the incredibly annoying teenage girl sidekick (sorry I won't bother looking up her name). My take is the actress took "mentally disabled" as naive and that's what we got.

• Haha 1

One Armed Boxer
10 hours ago, laagi said:

Didn't even know this was suppose to play in the same world as 'Concrete Utopia'. Did you watch that as well?

Yes, one of the best from 2023, but I tend to enjoy anything that features Lee Byung-hun. :tongueout

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Yes, one of the best from 2023, but I tend to enjoy anything that features Lee Byung-hun. :tongueout

Including the outstanding 'Emergency Declaration' I reckon lol. You saved me from watching that one so I owe you for this!

• Haha 1

Agree with all said above, BUT !

The last third of the movie had some very entertaining, interesting and well executed action sequences that I enjoyed tremendously. The whole setup reminded me of the first Raid and I thought the shootouts were fun to watch. Actually, they saved the whole movie for me, otherwise I'd be mourning two wasted hours of my life