Fist of Fury - Dir. Taylor Wong [2024] (China)

Yihetuan

This sounds really bizarre but apparently according to Frank Djeng Taylor Wong is directing a "new" Fist of Fury movie for the Chinese streaming market with Bruce Leung, Michael Chan and two Mainland actors playing Stephen Chow and the late Ng Man Tat. According to Frank, Bruce and Stephen Chow had a falling out and vowed never to work with him again on Kung Fu Hustle due Bruce finding him rude. disrespectful and cheating him out of his salary.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 15-32-41 (20 ) Frank Djeng Facebook.png

• Confused 1

starschwar

Wait... so... when he says "playing Stephen Chow" - does that mean someone is taking on the role Chow played in Fist of Fury 1991?  Ng Man-tat was in that as well.  This is some sort of continuation?

Or... they're playing a fictionalized version of the real life Stephen Chow?  If the later, what the hell does this have to do with Fist of Fury at all?  What is this movie even about?  I thought Legend of the Fist was about as weird as Chen Zhen related media was going to get...

Edited by starschwar

yeah, Ng Man tat had a cameo in the 1991 one. Apparently, Bruce Leung is still hugely popular in the Mainland and they're trying to leverage his popularity but with the caveat that he vowed never to work with Stephen Chow again, so they had to devise a script where Stephen Chow would be played by a different actor. As far as your questions, only time will tell what this film is going to be about in the end.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 18-03-23 (20 ) Frank Djeng Facebook.png

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 18-03-31 (20 ) Frank Djeng Facebook.png

starschwar

Well, that at least makes some amount of sense.  I've never actually seen FOF '91 so I can only speculate so far.  I was thinking of some weird Dragon Lives Again scenario where fact and fiction are intermingling.

starschwar

Doing mild research on FOF '91 and its sequel, but my brain froze at this bit on Wiki:

It is a sequel to the film Fist of Fury 1991 and likewise parodies Hong Kong martial arts films, including Chow appearing in a yellow tracksuit similar to the one worn by Bruce Lee in the 1973 film Enter the Dragon

Citation needed, heh.

• Haha 1